Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broad daylight. I'm cruising down a 3 lane street in the middle lane about 5 over the limit... when I see this Miata with some type of body kit around the fender areas, approaches me very quickly in the rear view mirror, then zip left to pass me--I give it some gas... and stay ahead. :sneaky: haha.

Red light.

I look at him, he looks at me... I turn off the AC. Light turns green, I hear him rev the engine, and I mash the gas--my tires break loose for a split second causing a loud screech. Head to head for about 2 seconds, then the ETC gets ahead 1 and 2 carlengths (while I hear him revving and shifting) by the time we arrive at next light . I give him the thumbs up, he does the same.

This guy was good at shifting, you could tell he was really trying and knew what he was doing. He just didn't know what he was up against.

I take off normally, and then he gives it gas goes around me and zips by cutting in front of the guy in front of me at the next light. At that time, I was going a few past the limit, and was not willing to get a ticket--hell I wasn't even stepping on it. I guess that's how he was driving when I saw him in the rear view mirror to begin with. Maybe he needed some kills to soften the blow. ;)

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Katshot said:
The Miata is NOT a drag racer.
Tell that to the guy who was driving it like one. I told him with my actions and the subsequent results. :cool:

·
Registered
81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8
230 Posts
My Miata is definitly no dragster, but smokes most Civics and other lowend imports. Smoke almost anything in the curves though!

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LaneWvr said:
My Miata is definitly no dragster, but smokes most Civics and other lowend imports. Smoke almost anything in the curves though!
Agreed. The ETC is not a drag racer either. It's a powerful, comfortable, luxurious grand tourer, IMO.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
I was about 6 seconds off most Miata's times (30 seconds for 2 laps on a small course) at the last autocross I attended. The best time a Miata pulled was 29.

At the dragstrip I think some of 'em would be 6 seconds behind ME... (OK I'm exagerating a little bit but still I doubt a stock one could even pull off a 17.x up here.)

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
The first ones were decently quick little cars, running like mid 16's in the 1/4 mile. Your ETC should be able to beat the brand new ones too. They're good for about a 15.6 IIRC.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
yup i know i can hit the 1/4 mi in 14.5. I did this to test to see if my mods were worth it. I then put my K&N filter in and pulled it in 14.4. Cant wait to try it at a track with my 50 shot of NOS

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
That's pretty danged fast for a stock Cadillac. Great work. Slicks and a higher stall converter would easily get you into the 13s!

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond ETC
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like Falken Ziex Ze-512s (all weather high performance, road noise, rolling resistance, wet and dry handling, awesome value Consumer Reports' Best Buy), they come in H and Z as well. What's the speed rating on your Goodyear Assurances?

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
As for tires, I just bought a set of Michelin X Radials. They're only S-rated, but so far, I found they have about 90% of the capability that my old Michelin Pilot XGTs had (H-rated) with a much better ride and absolutely no noise. They were the only tire to score a 5 out of 5 for handling on Consumer Reports' recent all season tire test.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
Cool. Are you sure they're Z-rated? I thought the Assurance (even the TripleTred) only came in T-rated. P225/60R16?

·
Registered
81 Coupe DeVille 4/6/8
230 Posts
davesdeville said:
I was about 6 seconds off most Miata's times (30 seconds for 2 laps on a small course) at the last autocross I attended. The best time a Miata pulled was 29.

At the dragstrip I think some of 'em would be 6 seconds behind ME... (OK I'm exagerating a little bit but still I doubt a stock one could even pull off a 17.x up here.)
My first gen Miata with the 1.6L and 120k on it ran a 16.9 1/4 mile. The newer the Miata the faster. Try racing an 05 MazdaSpeed Miata, you'll get a huge suprise.

Oh and some Miata drivers don't know how to drive. I've only gone to the Autocross once and I was the only car with street tires and I got 3rd, and most of the cars were other Miatas with more mods. Autocross is mostly driver skill, so congrads Dave you must be a good driver to! :bouncy:

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
Says Z on the Tire and the dealer put them all id assume theyd put on proper tires (yes this is an assumption which could be wrong but my dealer has done good by me thus far) and my tag on my door says shes Z rated

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
I did this to test to see if my mods were worth it.
What kind of test? I wanna see timeslips

1 - 20 of 33 Posts