Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that the second gear start was disabled for some reason on the 94-96 FWB's. Was it really?

Mine still works, and works well. I use it often, and with the decent low end power the LT1 has, is still faster off the line that many other cars are using first gear. It feels like the ECM pulls out a lot of timing for the first 5-7 mph, then power comes on well.

Does anyone use second gear start?

It is obviously NOT disabled on the 9C1 cars, as they don't have a first gear position (as part of the SEO options)

Anyone have comments on using it or advising against it?

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone even know if their Caddy still has it?

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
I use my second gear start pretty often in both my Caprice and Fleetwood since I hate the upshift/downshift from 1-2-1 when driving in and out of the parking lot at work since there are several turns I have to make. I'd rather spare my tranny a few hundred extra shifts and just leave her in second when in the lot at work or whenever similar conditions arise.
Same thing when in crawling traffic like when cars are going only between 10-20 MPH, I like having it in second gear only so I don't have it constantly upshifting/downshifting....

I don't drive the Caddy in the winter, but for my Caprice with same drivetrain I often use second gear start when in deep snow or icy conditions since the LT1 torque likes to turn the tires over WAY too easy and it's hard to get going from a stop.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found this:
"Sales brochures indicate that all Impalas have the 2nd gear start
capability. The car, when the shifter selector is in the (2) position,
will accelerate from a stop in second gear. This could be advantageous
in the snow and ice. The PCM routine for this feature is ELIMINATED
from the 95-96 Impalas, and only the 94 models have the 2nd gear
start. We still don't know if we can modify the PCM for this."

From http://www.raiden1.com/ss_faq.htm

Anyone with a 95 or 96 have 2nd gear start functioning?

With the 3.42's, it pulls great once you get over 10 mph and the PCM allows full power (feels like timing is pulled back)

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And:
"Second Gear Start

Q: The owners and service manuals say that the Impala should start in second gear while in the "2" position, but mine doesn't. The service department says they all act that way. What's the deal?

A: All '94's and some early '95s came with the second gear start function built in. This has been verified. Sometime early in the '95 production run, a new PCM calibration was issued that either disabled the 2nd gear start feature on accident or on purpose. Some have heard that it was because too many people where blowing transmissions by starting in 2nd with a trailer attached.

Chevrolet is aware of this problem and has opened a file folder on it (number 960149175). Call 1-800-222-1020 for the latest scoop on the problem. Some list members are actively working to get this problem resolved as of March, 1996. Try calling Jeremy at extension 5138 for more information on the problem.

Several of the aftermarket PCM reprogrammers can offer this feature on their programs."

From: http://impala.homeip.net/impala/faq/faq.cgi?transmission#transmission_second_gear

So I guess some have it, some don't. I have it and actually like it as well, the 3.42's work well with it. 3.73's likely even better so. It helps some in the snow, but snow tires are the real key. I had some P235 70 15 Uniroyals and they sucked big doo doo in the snow. I think racing slicks would have been better! With TC on, I would be at idle with the foot on the floor. I had to turn it off to more more than a few inches!

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham (some show and some go!)
607 Posts
I know my stock PCM-programnmed 96 Caprice has second gear start. Works like a charm. Interesting....

Check this out:
http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/resource/resource20.asp

The 4L60-E's second-gear-start feature provides an extra measure of control in hazardous driving conditions. By moving the gear selector to the D2 position, the driver can reduce torque to the drive wheels, increasing control during initial acceleration on slippery surfaces.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it, and don't want it flashed off. With 3.42's, it is like std geared cars in first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts