Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
'00 STS
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found an offer I can't refuse, so I'm going to pick this up with the blown head gasket. I'm going to have a mechanic do both head gaskets even though only is blown in hopes that this car will last a while. What gaskets should I buy? How about those head studs, are they worth the investment?

Also what other things should I do besides fluid changes at 110K?

Thanks

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
Upgrading from a Catera? You'll be happy with the STS.
I would contact 97Eldo (the guy who makes the studs) for gasket recommendations, tho I think he uses Felpro.

Do some searching as to what else to check, its all been covered many times.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
Check for the lower case half oil leak while the motor is out. OEM recommends transmission service at 100K. With HGs you'll get a full coolant change and then its little stuff to consider - I'd change the water pump and thermostat if they're original, etc.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
Fel-Pro gaskets, and use Jakes stud kit and it will run forever. The stud kit is much superior to any threaded inserts.

Like CR said have the half case done as well as the TCC solenoid.

Welcome to the wonderful love hate relationship of owning a northstar :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
damn i sold my 2000 sls with hg issues(or i think car ws running hot) but still ran for 1k should have should it for more :(

·
Registered
'00 STS
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice! Towed her home today. I stole it for $1,250, story to why so cheap was the caddy dealer scared the seller into to the whole high odds of the corroded bolt hole and needed a new engine. Clean carfax. I also signed up for AAA for $130 which gave me the free up to 200 mile tow home.

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac DeVille
279 Posts
Damn there is just something black sts's just look so damn good, and the dark tint makes it look even more sharp!

Nice find man I hope you love it as much as I love my caddy

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I'll guess from the Jag next to it that that level of tint is legal where you are. Guaranteed I'd get stopped before I hit the end of my street.

·
Registered
'00 STS
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliments and advice of what to replace. I really can't believe I found this deal, with that being said, if it was much more I wouldn't of bought it. New tires were put on less than 1K miles ago and it was tinted 20% all around. Those two were a bonus as couldn't tell much from the craigslist ad. 32% is the max all around in my state of GA. I believe New Mexico allows the lowest % of tint on the front windows at 20%. Jag is 5% all around, I have been pulled over once for speeding. I got tint metered and a yelling, only a speeding ticket with no mentioning of the tint. Jag's been my seven day a week daily driver for almost two years now...Will prob sell it assuming the STS is in good shape.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
I always loved the S-Type, but was scared away from hearing about numerous Jaguar problems. How has yours held up over the past couple of years?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,044 Posts
Nice find. As long as you know what you're up against with the top overhaul there won't be any surprises when you're done. Use Jake's studs. If the oil pan and half case seals show no evidence of leakage, don't fool with them. Maybe do a rear crankshaft seal - special install tool. The thing will run like a scared cat. While the engine and transmission are out, flush out the heater core and radiator, take a good hard look at the heater piping and hoses, the various oil cooler and transmission cooler hoses, the condition of the constant velocity axle boots (accordions), wiring, anything you can get to NOW with the drivetrain out. You have another daily driver, so if you perform some TLC now you'll wind up with essentially a new car for less than pennies on the dollar. (Put some embroidered floor mats in it..........) Refill the transmission with the new synthetic DEXRON-VI. Use 50/50 DEXCOOL and change the coolant every 3 years.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
'00 STS
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I always loved the S-Type, but was scared away from hearing about numerous Jaguar problems. How has yours held up over the past couple of years?
Pre 03s had a weak sealed for life tranny which always failed and it was unserviceable. Also can't remember exactly, but it was a plastic part that always broke, had to do with the timing. Lastly the ignition coils always failed. In '03 the car got new drive train and it's very reliable. With my '03 V8 I have a ton of electrical gremlins, nothing that affects the cars performance. But periodically the windows/locks/sunroof/key fab don't do what you want them to do. People think you're filthy rich, lol.

Nice find. As long as you know what you're up against with the top overhaul there won't be any surprises when you're done. Use Jake's studs. If the oil pan and half case seals show no evidence of leakage, don't fool with them. Maybe do a rear crankshaft seal - special install tool. The thing will run like a scared cat. While the engine and transmission are out, flush out the heater core and radiator, take a good hard look at the heater piping and hoses, the various oil cooler and transmission cooler hoses, the condition of the constant velocity axle boots (accordions), wiring, anything you can get to NOW with the drivetrain out. You have another daily driver, so if you perform some TLC now you'll wind up with essentially a new car for less than pennies on the dollar. (Put some embroidered floor mats in it..........) Refill the transmission with the new synthetic DEXRON-VI. Use 50/50 DEXCOOL and change the coolant every 3 years.

Best of luck.
Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for! I need to hunt around more to find all these part #'s. My buddy who has not given the nod if he's doing it or not said IF he'll do the job, he'll start Sat morning and wants to be done Sunday. So if I need a seal/gasket and my parts store is out of stock, I don't have the luxury of time.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
My buddy who has not given the nod if he's doing it or not said IF he'll do the job, he'll start Sat morning and wants to be done Sunday. So if I need a seal/gasket and my parts store is out of stock, I don't have the luxury of time.
Tell him not to start. If he's amped on Red Bull and a gallon of coffee he might get the driveline out in that period of time but no way can the whole job be completed correctly in that timeframe. Just as a point of reference, my car was in the shop for 46 days with a mechanic who knows Northstars. I may hold the record for the longest HG job ever but even one quarter of that time is way more than your buddy has budgeted.

·
Registered
99 Cadillac STS
51 Posts
I'd agree with Ranger, Mine took a good 2 weeks + or - due to parts (working weekends) to finish the head gaskets on my 99 sts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,044 Posts
bacardi, I assume that your mechanic understands that the easier way to do this job is to remove the entire drivetrain by lifting the car off the assembly ???

Head studs are impossible to do with the engine in the car, Timeserts or Norm's Inserts are nearly practically impossible with the engine in the car.

And your buddy had better have a real GM Factory Service Manual: The Northstar bears absolutely no resemblance to a Small Block Chevy or even a 454. The timing chains (3) require some special techniques themselves..........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts