Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I didn't double-check it and triple check it I wouldn't have believed it myself I have a 108000 mi DeVille Concours 1998. I just bought the car about a month-and-a-half ago and going through the service records of this single owner garage every might of its life car....I see it was very well-loved and everything that is mentioned in the forms that could possibly go wrong has been fixed or touched. I decided to go on a road trip this last weekend and to my astonishment I was getting 27 miles to the gallon running 72 miles an hour indicated which is probably a few miles an hour fast according to my GPS unbelievable and this is not using the info sister this is miles driven / gas used using GPS in a calculator. I repeated it throughout two tanks has anyone ever gotten this kind of mileage before?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
If I didn't double-check it and triple check it I wouldn't have believed it myself I have a 108000 mi DeVille Concours 1998. I just bought the car about a month-and-a-half ago and going through the service records of this single owner garage every might of its life car....I see it was very well-loved and everything that is mentioned in the forms that could possibly go wrong has been fixed or touched. I decided to go on a road trip this last weekend and to my astonishment I was getting 27 miles to the gallon running 72 miles an hour indicated which is probably a few miles an hour fast according to my GPS unbelievable and this is not using the info sister this is miles driven / gas used using GPS in a calculator. I repeated it throughout two tanks has anyone ever gotten this kind of mileage before?
====================
27mpg on a Northstar powered car is nearly impossible -
MAYBE down hill with a generous tailwind -

my 1995 Deville with the 4.9 RELIGIOUSLY got 28.3 on the highway -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
CF has posted, documented mileages of over 28 mpg - highway long term - on VIN Y Northstar Devilles and Eldorados.

hell, my 2002 STS gets 24.8 long term highway between here and Florida and back. On 87 octane, recommended for the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I realize it's unbelievable but that's what I was getting of course I was using 91 as indicated on the fill cap

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
Yep - the pre-2000 and some post-2005 Northstars were calibrated for 91/93 octane. 2000 saw a slight decrease in compression ratio, a total combustion chamber redesign, and the change to different (roller/timing) cams which allowed the engines to make their rated horsepower on 87. The 2000 - 2005 PCM will not advance timing beyond set calibration in response to using higher octane fuels so the only "benefit" you get from 89 or 91/93 is more money out of your wallet.

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
432 Posts
I don't know why not. My 2004 clocks 25-28mpg under 75mph pretty easily.
45-50mph/flat road on cruise 30-33 on the trip computer.

I have checked 'actual' gas fill against the computer 'fuel used' and it is within 1/2 gallon repeatedly, 14-17gal fills
I have checked the car comp against a scangauge, extremely close.

I have set the cruise on 60, zeroed the avg mileage, and seen 30-31 mpg for 20-30 miles, then off the fwy to home thru several lights/stopsigns.(5mi/35mph) Shut it down showing 23-27mpg many times.

0 fwy gets 17-19mpg, sometimes long warmups/idling, WOT's. Lowest I've seen around 16.. pisses me off.

Last O/C was M1 5-30,had conventional. When the gas gets back to 'summer blend' I'll be back at the 'egg under foot challenge'. haha
Many +80k mi/yr years for me, you get pretty good at squeezing, maint., and modding cars for high mpg.

·
Registered
70 Deville 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
746 Posts
It's fun to see how far you can go on a tank of gas while on a road trip. You should be getting close to 450 miles on a tank. I don't normally run a tank that empty but on a road trip I will do it once in a while to make it to the next town.

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
658 Posts
On strictly city driving, short trips around town and a short trip to and from work, my 04 gets between 8-10 mpg. Even at that i can still go 2 weeks on a full tank, but, next month were moving out to the styx and my car will be getting regular highway exercise, I may revisit this thread at that time.
Edit, should have been "mpg".

·
2004 Deville
2004 Deville, Silver, Gone, but not forgotten, 1972 Eldorado, 1974 eldorado, 1975 CDV
658 Posts
04 Deville, like i said all city driving all short trips, stop and go traffic, and when i get to work i might sit and idle for a few minutes with the heat going so i can finish my coffee in peace before i go in to work.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I assume you meant MPG vs GPM, hence my tongue in cheek response. That said, all city driving plus idling while you have coffee would explain the low fuel mileage.

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
432 Posts
"my 04 gets between 8-10 mpg"
Ouch
Just filled up. It took 10gal, this car has 184k mi on it, all orig.
tripmeter-computer says:
16.7 mph average
16.9 mpg
Odometer/trip says 172 mi.
That's about as low as she goes, unless I'm working on it/idling/WOT blastsx5-10 times
This was all city, sitting running w/wife waiting heat on, several 10-15 minute stops, 3 weeks since last [email protected]

·
Registered
189 Posts
Going back and forth to myrtle Beach south Carolina I have gotten 28 MPG on my 2001 deville. That is when the wife is driving. I have a heavy foot. with just me driving it is 25 or 26 mpg.

·
2004 Deville
658 Posts
Just had one of the o2 sensors changed today, (I've been getting an intermittent p0420 code.) On the way home, a 4.5 mile trip, the mpg ave went from 8.5 to 8.7, I realize it is only a small gain but might be worth keeping an eye on.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
Just had one of the o2 sensors changed today, (I've been getting an intermittent p0420 code.) On the way home, a 4.5 mile trip, the mpg ave went from 8.5 to 8.7, I realize it is only a small gain but might be worth keeping an eye on.
================
P0420 points to a failed/failing catalytic converter -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts