Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am looking at getting a moderately priced set of 24s for my 2005 (specifically: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-BLACK-ESCALADE-WHEELS-RIMS-SILVERADO-YUKON-TAHOE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43960QQihZ013QQitemZ230158335986QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW).

I pull a 4600lbs boat across the mountains from Seattle to eastern Washington and back all summer long (about 360miles round trip).

Can some folks possibly answer these questions for me:

1. Is there anything I should expect to modify in order to make these rims fit on a 2005 escalade with stock ride height?

2. What expectations should I have regarding pulling a boat with 24s? I understand the rolling mass difference (the sclade currently pulls like a mad beast).

I have spent the better part of the workday looking through the archives, then I figured I had better get some work done to pay for those rims. :)

comments/rants/input on the rims would be appreciated.

thanks

Tim

·
Registered
02 Escalade/ 04 Escalade EXT
1,401 Posts
If you are towing, I recommend getting a big brake kit like said above just to be safe!

If you get 24s on stock height, go with tires 305/35/24s. There will be minimal rubbing in front, but shaving off the inner fender plastic is easy to get rid of that. The rear should be just fine with no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand. What kind of tools are typically used to shave the plastic? a large file? :)

·
Registered
2006 Escalade Blk Raven on 24" Giovanna Caracas
61 Posts
ive got 305/35r24 and it only rubbed in the back. I drove it for a day so I could see where it was going to rub and then i trimmed off the part where the tire rubbed. I just used a box cutter razor to cut away the part of the plastic that was rubbing and problems solved. It took longer to get the wheel off the car than it did to cut the plastic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
forgot to mention I have the mcgaughys 2/3 drop so im sure that had something to do with it.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
You may get a little bit of rubbing more likely in the rear than the front at stock height with 305/35-24s.

Though I did put wheels on a customers 2005 Chevy Avalanche with 24x10s and 305/35-24s without rubbing. Personally, I'd recommend a 24x9.5 with a 305/35-24 that should fit without rubbing whatsoever.

·
Registered
Cadillac
215 Posts
A better idea instead of cutting up your inner fenders is by using the zip-tie trick. A search will give you step by step instructions with pictures

Basically you find where it's rubbing in the front. Drill two holes (big enough to fit the zip ties in) through the front of the inner fender and connect it together. Get another zip tie, connect it between that zip tie and the front bumper bracket and pull it tight.

I know i did a bad job explaining it. It's really easy to do,plus you won't have big cuts in your fender that dirty up your engine compartment

·
Registered
61 Posts
mine doesnt rub on the front enough to pay attention to. The only time I can barely notice is when the streets are wet and the rubber makes a small noise when turning all the way left or right. Its so slight that the rubbing hasnt even melted/deformed the plastic yet. but heres a pic(not the greatest quality) of how someone zip-tied their front fender.

Attachments

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A better idea instead of cutting up your inner fenders is by using the zip-tie trick. A search will give you step by step instructions with pictures

Basically you find where it's rubbing in the front. Drill two holes (big enough to fit the zip ties in) through the front of the inner fender and connect it together. Get another zip tie, connect it between that zip tie and the front bumper bracket and pull it tight.

I know i did a bad job explaining it. It's really easy to do,plus you won't have big cuts in your fender that dirty up your engine compartment
I think that's a fine explanation. The picture included in the next post was fairly helpful as well.

Should I expect the TPS do be installed with the new rims?

·
Registered
Cadillac
43 Posts
Ive got 24's on mine and I trailer my Supra with it with no problem. I did however upgrade the brakes with the power slot big rotor upgrade kit. Stops like a champ now

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive got 24's on mine and I trailer my Supra with it with no problem. I did however upgrade the brakes with the power slot big rotor upgrade kit. Stops like a champ now
How did it stop before you added the rotor kit?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts