Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
dissadvantage: only a few companties make 235 width tires fro a 16 inch rim and they are mad expensive.

·
Registered
586 Posts
they'll fit. You can git a 245/50zr16 on a 7 inch wide rim... you just need to find an installer who likes headaches.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jay, now you have me thinkin... I did some reading on tirerack.com about rim widths and tire sizes. The narrower the rim, the narrower the tire width (but the wall would be taller). So that got me to thinking....pack on a 245/55-16 and I'd have a relatively wide tire width and same tire wall height compared to the stock 225/60-16. Does that make sense? Would it be worth it though? Would there be any squealing or rubbing assoc with a new size?

·
Registered
586 Posts
to have the same or very close overal tire diameter as the 225/60r16 that you have on there, the tire would have to be a 245/55r16, which are very rare and more expensive. a 245/50r16 would be smaller than stock and would throw the speedometer a little, unless you get is reprogramed.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, i just saw that there is only one 245/55-16 out there...expensive and not meant for the snow! I'm thinkin keep the 225s up front and 235s in the rear.

·
Registered
586 Posts
if you are going for better grip, you want the bigger ones up from where the power is put to the ground.

but in a car like this with all the computer BS, you really want the same size tire on all 4's. If one end is a little smaller than the other, it may trip the traction control or ABS cus one set of tires will be spinning faster than the other and the car thinks its slipping.

Either do all 4 225s or 4 235s.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good call jay...besides, 235s may not necessarily be wider. With a 7" rim, it would probably increase the wall height while keeping the same width...almost like putting on a 225/65-16.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts