Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching for what size tires "can" fit the car, but nothing came up. I know the stock size is 235/55r17, and I know the base and DHS are 225/60r16. I have 2x 225/65r17 tires with plenty of life and my front 2 are shot. I know 65 is a huge height difference from 55, especially to have front or rear taller than the other, but will it "work" to replace the front or rear with these I have? Bearing in mind the shocks AND struts are all shot so it rides low. I want to see if I can make it until someone can/will look at my tranny to see if it's shot shot or fixable.

Nobody in town will touch it and I looked up the YouTube vid of a teardown and it's complicated and time consuming. If it needs a new tranny, and I can't learn how to do it, I may not keep it so I don't want to put brand new tires on it. If it's fixable, I will convert the air ride and fix the struts, new tires, among other things.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,166 Posts
That tire outside diameter mismatch will set codes, cause wheel speed errors, and cause speedometer errors - maybe set ABS and speed limiters, too.

Use the tire size recommended on the driver's door sticker, and that depends on which wheel option the car had when built.

Even with worn out struts and shocks the car won't ride low unless the springs are sagged. The suspension control will suffer, though.

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
390 Posts
These guys have more tire 'specs' posted/easy access than about anyone

Just make some comparisons yourself, look at your clearances, steering cranked bothways, hope for the best on suspension travel guesstimate.

That tire is about 1-2in taller than stock, will raise the car a little, come an inch or so closer to rub points.
Is it recommended? no. It is your call, and virtually no one will install it 'on the car',,,just put it on the wheel.
Is it safe? is 4-6" lifts/32-36" tires safe on pick-ups? Your call, it is not 'illegal'.

It will cause your speedo to run 'slow', so you will be travelling faster than 'indicated'. Caution on speeding.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So nobody knows if it will rub? It looks like it might rub when turning in the front, if I put them in the rear and put the old up front, the rear will be taller tires, being 2wd, would that hurt anything? The level control is already upset that the shocks are shot and compressor has been running non stop

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,166 Posts
You're being advised to forget the rubbing question and the front-rear mismatch - and use the correct tire size for that car.

No one in here is going to risk problems and tell you to install incorrect or faulty equipment. That's where YOU take the risks.

Before you burn up $300 in ELC parts, pull the fuse until you install the correct new suspension parts.

·
2004 Deville base
'05 SRX N*/AWD, Vetts/Birds/Trucks
390 Posts
Pull the fuse for the compressor, its under the rear seat, "ELC" is the one.

You should realize that every dollar spent keeping, or even further pushing the car to "project car" status, is a dollar that will be spent again on making the car a "transportation car". This can become a huge problem, quickly, depending on your budget.
Do you have a budget, and timeframe to "reliable transport/resale"?
I see $500-$1000/30-90 days minimum, and I have been at this crap for 50yrs.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,909 Posts
So nobody knows if it will rub? It looks like it might rub when turning in the front, if I put them in the rear and put the old up front, the rear will be taller tires, being 2wd, would that hurt anything? The level control is already upset that the shocks are shot and compressor has been running non stop
======================
the 225/65/17 is 1.3" taller than the stock size tire -
divide that in half = .65" less clearance to the fender wells -
so - NO - they won't rub -

HOWEVER - as the others have pointed out -
there WILL be other problems caused by running two different diameter tires -

the stock size tires spins 742 times per mile - the other will spin 708 times per mile -
this is a dramatic difference that the computers can't/won't accept -
this WILL affect the suspension and ABS computers -
it WILL set codes - probably activate speed limiters - and possibly de-activate ABS -

·
Registered
2001 DTS
95 Posts
225/60-17 would be closer in size to the 233/55-17 original.

ETA: Nokian is a European company building tires in Lewisburg TN and opening a 2nd plant in East TN. I see a set of 4 new 235-55-17s for 258 shipped on ebay. Not sure if they're Norte' Americano made, but that's the market they're after with these new plants. Anyone tried their tire products yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts