Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just test drove a 2007 CST-v this morning. The dealer was willing to sell for invoice (approx. $50k). I happened to also look at the V6 model which he was willing to sell for $28k. That seems like a huge premium to pay for a V8, brakes, suspension mods and some cosmetic touches. Please help me figure out what I'm missing. Otherwise, I may wait for the Pontiac G8 to come out next year. Thanks.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Eh, selling at invoice just isn't special anymore. It's a discontinued car. Wait it out if you can. The deals will start to really flow.

Or just call Chesrown and be done with it...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Good question, and welcome to the forums.

The differences between the two cars you looked at are far more vast than the things you cited. The $28k model is a 2.8L, 210hp with basic options. For the 20k extra on the V, here is a small list of some of the things you get:

-400hp V8
-Heavy duty suspension (springs, shocks, sways, etc..)
-Limited slip
-Brembo brakes
-18in wheels
-Stability control
-Competition driving mode (limits the computer interventions)
-Different front + rear fascias and rocker panels for aero improvements and brake cooling
-Mesh grills
-Suede inserts in seats for better grip
-Memory driver seat
-Dual power seats
-Heated seats
-Fold down rear seat
-Navigation
-Garage door opener
-G-meter in dash
-Digital readouts for Tire pressure, oil temp, oil pressure, coolant temp and trans. temp

.....and that's not all. The V is a significant upgrade over the CTS in performance, and not that much more in price. If you load out a V6 CTS with all the options, it'll sticker for around $45,000. This makes the difference between the two only $10k, and the motor swap alone would cost that.

If you want a hell of a 4-door sedan that'll run with the big boys, then get the V.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Not to sound snobbish, but if you are even comparing a CTS-V to a regular CTS, then this is the wrong car for you. Using your analysis, then there is practically zero difference between a plain old Corvette and a ZO6, an M5 and a 528, or even a corvette and a miata.

Why wait for a G8? you can get a G6 now.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
No need to be so rough, guys. He didn't come in trashing the car like the SRT trolls- he actually asked for info on what he was missing.

I'm all for piling on idiots, but this is an honest question.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
Tony- rough on people? No way. You come with open arms like the mafia, where your killers wear smiles. Like others said its like getting the M BMW or AMG Mercedes. A little crisper, more attitude, limited edition / exclusivity, and balls out fast.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V Thunder Gray; 2004 Cowboy Cadillac (SRT10)
17,712 Posts
I drove a CTS (got it for a rental). It's a good thing I drove the V first, it's a completely different beast. I may not have bought the V if I would have tried the stock CTS. It is what you would expect in a cadillac, Comfortable inside but slushbox, gushy suspension,...

The V is an amazing car for the money you will need to spend to by it. I'm guessing the 09 V will be even more expensive and you will get former owners that will pay the extra money because they understand the value of this car.

It's a hot rod in a luxury sedan, it has all of the above improvements as well as being the ultimate sleeper.

Would I buy this car again if I had it to do over? Oh yeah, I'm even thinking about a second one if I can talk the wife into driving it!

I wish this was about 5 years ago, the wife was about speed and I couldv'e talked her into the STS-V but now she is all about saving fuel.

Good thing I bought a Hybrid....:halo:

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
not to mention that you also get the "V" tag on the outsides ;)

You'd be amazed how many people, be it at gas stations, grocery stores, movie theaters etc. will say "hey, that's the fast one, right?" as the point at the car. i don't know if you're big on getting attention, but you'll get a heck of a lot more attention with the three "V" logos on the car than without. you'll turn heads wherever you go.

i hate the attention. seriously considering de-badging mine. attention is good, but quite often it's negative.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input. I have been looking for the last year for a car that had rear drive, V8 power, at least offered a manual option, could seat 5 (3 kids) and didn't scream look at me. I looked at the GTO real hard last year and was close, but the strut rub issue, electrical problems, two doors, and the fact that it was a short-run, discontinued Aussie car kept me from sealing the deal. I like the Charger in concept, but the car is bulky and the SRT8 is no sleeper that gets 12 mpg. I only learned of the Cadillac v cars recently. The CTS-v was a blast to drive and it looks great. I could see myself owning one. I just wish I could get the car without some of the standard items such as NAV and moonroof, which add thousands to the cost, but add little to its performance or long term value. And then there's the gas guzzler tax. On this year, but not last year? Just shaving those three items off would take $5,000 off the sticker price. That is why the Pontiac G8 is such an intriguing option. However, I don't believe in buying new cars in their first or even second year of production, so that puts me at 2010 for a performance car with some of the bugs worked out. That brings me back to today and the only real option I've found - the CTS-v. Decisons, decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V
23,162 Posts
That brings me back to today and the only real option I've found - the CTS-v. Decisons, decisions, decisions.
you'll wonder how you ever got along without nav after just 1 month.
you can find them without roofs.
you can find them for low-30s if you get earlier models with the real engine, the LS6 ;)
you can contact forum dealers, one of whom posted here, for deals on LS2 models.
never EVER pay invoice. good luck.

·
Registered
Silver CTS V, Custom CAM, B&B Headers & pipes, K&N cai
242 Posts
Well, if this helps, I have looked into getting a second one to put in garage and not drive, just because I love this car, I drive every day and cant get tired of looking at. my problem is, how am I going to afford the 09!! I will always be a cadillac man now after this car!!!

Dean

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS V
118 Posts
Yes get a used one and get it certified, bought a low mileage '05 and have a warranty till 2011, plus Cadillac's certified car warranty is exactly like the original warranty including loaner cars. Plus LS6 rocks!:sneaky:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts