Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Premium Member
2023 CT5-V RWD / 2020 XT6 Sport / 2024 Lyriq AWD (reserved)
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a few days into this (new to me) 2020 XT6 Sport with Enhanced Visibility/Tech Package, Smart Towing, Navigation. Stellar Black Metallic on Jet Black interior, second row bench.

This one has 46k kms (28k miles) and an in-service date of Oct 30, 2020 (meaning two full years of bumper to bumper warranty - in Canada, Cadillac includes all service except wear items until 4/80).

• Power etc - This vehicle has more than enough pep for its weight. It's 0-60 and fuel economy are pretty much equal to my 2020 CTS4 and I love that I get to use regular grade fuel. This 9 speed transmission is pretty decent as well - nice, smooth shifts.
  • Ride/handling - Okay, it's boaty when hard cornering but the adaptive shocks on the Sport trim is really quite good at tightening things up. I drove a Buick Enclave that lacked the adaptive shocks and let's just say that this XT6 Sport is a massive improvement.
  • Room - The space for front and rear passengers is excellent. My third row seats are going to stay folded down most of the time and so the cargo area is impressive. And the headroom is sublime (not surprising for a tall crossover).
  • Comfort - These seats are very comfortable and the ventilated seat function is quite effective.
  • Controls - From the steering wheel controls to the console selector/toggle knob, there's tons of control and everything is laid out intuitively. You do not have to touch the screen (and leave fingerprints) to make your settings. I like that comfort settings are on a separate lower control pad and not menu-driven.
  • Rear seats - reclining is a nice touch. And the passenger comfort controls (and heated rear outboard seats) are well laid out and have a premium feel.
  • Kick to open hatch - works every time for me (now that I know where the logo is supposed to be (it gets washed out on bright days)
  • Audio - I find the Bose sound system to be quite good. I see no reason to try to upgrade it.
  • Camera mirror - I like it in the CT5-V and am liking it here as well. At night, it's just as weak as the one in the CT5-V so I am happy that a flip
  • Spare tire - nice to see one of these!
  • Quiet - this vehicle has very effective sound insulation. And because there are not (yet) any squeaks and creaks, its cabin is a very serene place on the highway.

Wish List:
  • 360 Camera function - It's actually pretty good and it's useful. That being said, there should be a hard button for this (like there is in my CT5-V). It's a useful feature when parking and it doesn't automatically come on unless you're in reverse.
  • Make front massaging seats an option - Yeah, it's a first world problem but it's available in the XT4 (that debuted a year earlier than this car did) but it's not available on this car. I like it in my CT5-V and it's great for long highway trips. I wish I could have it on this one.
  • Make adaptive cruise standard - Yeah, it was available as an option when this was new but it should be standard. My daughter's 2019 Equinox has it. I like the version in my CT5-V. If it was possible to retrofit it onto this car, I might actually do it. This was available as part of a $2200 safety package that just didn't make it onto this car. Pity.
  • Folding mirrors - I like that the car has this feature and they do fold when I use the remote but I have programmed my car to lock upon exiting. So, why do they not fold when it locks in that manner? I'm learning to live with this and it's an extraordinarily minor gripe.
  • Interior - If I was ordering this car new, I'd definitely take the Platinum package for its semi-aniline leather seating and the sueded headliner. The interior without that package is nice but I think the Platinum package would make this one stand out as a Cadillac.
  • Platform - This would have been a phenomenal car had it been built (as originally planned) on the CT6's Omega platform with a 400 hp 3.0TT powerplant and all-wheel steering. Still, GM has done a decent job at making this otherwise plebian platform feel like a Cadillac. Driving the CT6, though, makes me wonder just what might have been but also knowing that the car would likely have been $10-15k more expensive.
That's a pretty short wish list. This XT6 puts me in mind of our first gen Three row SRXes (we had an 04 and an 08) and we/I loved those cars.

· Registered
8 Posts
Awesome job summarizing on the car. I agree on all the points even though I got the platinum package that covered some of your short comings.
I love the car and the best part is that you hardly see them on the road. I ended up de-badging all the name plates to make it look clean and I always have people asking what caddy it is after complementing on the looks.:)

I really wish it offer massaging seats, bigger entertainment screen, automatic folding mirrors, and rear ventilated seats. Not having them aren’t big issues since I love the looks of the car so much while it is spacious, drives smooth and it has a little pep. Not to mention the Bose audio system rocks!!

· Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome job summarizing on the car. I agree on all the points even though I got the platinum package that covered some of your short comings.
I love the car and the best part is that you hardly see them on the road. I ended up de-badging all the name plates to make it look clean and I always have people asking what caddy it is after complementing on the looks.:)

I really wish it offer massaging seats, bigger entertainment screen, automatic folding mirrors, and rear ventilated seats. Not having them aren’t big issues since I love the looks of the car so much while it is spacious, drives smooth and it has a little pep. Not to mention the Bose audio system rocks!!
My debadging will occur today. Gone will be the stupid name and the even more stupid quasi Newton-Metre torque rating.

I remember the old expression "No highs, no lows, it must be Bose" but that doesn't apply here - this sound system is pretty darned good.

I bought used and was looking at cars returned after two year leases. I scanned the entire country up here and there were exactly three that had the Platinum package (which I have on my CT5-V). Unfortunately, each of the three were either too pricey or the wrong colour (or both). Still, those semi-aniline leather seats are super nice. I was tempted (it would have been another $5k) but I kept reminding myself that this is my second car and it's very nice the way it is.

Enjoy your XT6 (or whatever you're calling it).

· Registered
96 FWB
4,547 Posts
Your Wish List for the most part captures attractive 'addables'. And while some come with higher trim pkgs., they sure don't make deal-breakers for me considering what your motives and uses are for the purchase. And certainly not for the added $,$$$ as you say.
The Platform bullet would serve well in a 'Miss' column, but there's likely a ton of excuses by corp. Einsteins in deciding against the CT6 platform. Plus then it would have priced itself out of consideration (even used), so you'd still be hunting.
But are there any things fitting for a plain outright Dislikes List, - stuff that can't be modded on or off?
Otherwise, that truck sounds like an 'Manufactured By Mistake' great ride all in all.

· Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your Wish List for the most part captures attractive 'addables'. And while some come with higher trim pkgs., they sure don't make deal-breakers for me considering what your motives and uses are for the purchase. And certainly not for the added $,$$$ as you say.
The Platform bullet would serve well in a 'Miss' column, but there's likely a ton of excuses by corp. Einsteins in deciding against the CT6 platform. Plus then it would have priced itself out of consideration (even used), so you'd still be hunting.
But are there any things fitting for a plain outright Dislikes List, - stuff that can't be modded on or off?
Otherwise, that truck sounds like an 'Manufactured By Mistake' great ride all in all.
So far, there's nothing I seriously dislike about the car but my top gripe would be having to go through the menu to activate the 360 camera when parking in a forward trajectory.

The way I have to do it isn't a big deal: I hit the home button (on the dash, just below the centre screen) and then navigate using the selector toggle which is well-located just forward of the centre armrest. This adds just a few seconds so it's more of a grumble than a true gripe.

The big reasons why GM went with the existing platform were time to market and cost. de Nysschen had a different vision for Cadillac and clashed with GM when the sales numbers weren't there. He had focused on making world-class sedans when the market and competition went to SUVs and Crossovers. The XT5 was widely considered a stop-gap vehicle and it was hurried into the market - it's the reason why it was on the C1 platform as opposed to having the Alpha platform modified to support a crossover. Still, it sold like hotcakes from its late 2016 debut. But that wasn't enough and dealers clamoured for more crossovers - a small one and a three-row vehicle. de Nysschen left the job in early 2018, around the time that the XT4 was launched and the XT5 redesign and the XT6 launch were being finalized. They were just too hurried initially and then GM's focus on the Ultium platform negated any consideration of a true platform.

In the end, the C1 platform is "fine". With the adaptive suspension, the XT6 sport rides very well and cornering is actually good. None of us buy these vehicles for the track so fore/aft balance isn't critical to most crossover buyers. Engineers have done wonders with FWD vehicle architecture over the years and these machines are pretty darned good.

· Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,651 Posts
So far, there's nothing I seriously dislike about the car but my top gripe would be having to go through the menu to activate the 360 camera when parking in a forward trajectory.

The way I have to do it isn't a big deal: I hit the home button (on the dash, just below the centre screen) and then navigate using the selector toggle which is well-located just forward of the centre armrest. This adds just a few seconds so it's more of a grumble than a true gripe.
Hmm. My 21 XT5 triggers the surround vision and front camera as soon as the parking sensor picks up a nearby object (such as my overhead door frame, or an adjacent parked vehicle, even a bollard when going through the McD's drive thru). When backing up, the rear camera comes on along with surround vision.

You could possibly put the Camera icon as a favorite in the quick-access icon tray.... but you'd have to give up something currently in the tray.

Max

· Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,651 Posts
Northern, when you have the screen in camera display mode, I assume you have choice buttons that switches which camera is displayed. I can choose front, rear, sides, etc, plus all around. The all around function leaves the main front or rear camera on, taking the right 3/4 of the screen and the left 1/4 is the surround image. I leave it set that way and exit (switch to radio, nav etc), it may be why mine functions the way mine does. See if you have that image mode. Try setting it to front or rear, and toggle on the surround that way and exit. Back up and see if you get the rear as 3/4 + surround 1/4. If it does, then front sensors should trigger front plus surround when parking.

Wild shot in the dark, but maybe...

Max

· Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Northern, when you have the screen in camera display mode, I assume you have choice buttons that switches which camera is displayed. I can choose front, rear, sides, etc, plus all around. The all around function leaves the main front or rear camera on, taking the right 3/4 of the screen and the left 1/4 is the surround image. I leave it set that way and exit (switch to radio, nav etc), it may be why mine functions the way mine does. See if you have that image mode. Try setting it to front or rear, and toggle on the surround that way and exit. Back up and see if you get the rear as 3/4 + surround 1/4. If it does, then front sensors should trigger front plus surround when parking.

Wild shot in the dark, but maybe...

Max
Very helpful. I will play with it and report back.

· Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I like 'em bald...

Car Vehicle Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Grille

Debadged and ready to go!

· Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the Cadillac all-weather mats today and installed them. Nice looking.

· Registered
13 Posts
I bought my XT6 in Spring 2022. Until recently there was no material stating that the XT6 is built on Global A system architecture vs Cadillac's modern VIP architecture. The Global A is an outdated system architecture, which is a big problem. Recent articles have been published stating that Cadillac will not be providing many updates to the Global A system architecture, which is a particular problem for Super Cruise. For example Cadillac is providing a 200,000 mile increase to Super Cruise's capabilities if a car has the VIP architecture, but the XT6 will only be getting a 20,000 mile increase.

· Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What the above post has to do with my impressions of an 2020 XT6 (a year when Super Cruise wasn't available on this model) escapes me. There is no question that the XT6 was hastily conceived on an aging formula but I already knew that before I bought a used 2020 last month. I bought because the vehicle still has a lot to commend it, I didn't pay MSRP for a new one and Super Cruise doesn't yet interest me.

My biggest gripes are far more insignificant.

· Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Two other observations:

On sunny days, the Cadillac logo's projection is not bright enough to aim for the kick to open hatch. Whether by design or luck, the spot to aim for is directly below the bumper mounted parking sensor just to the left of center. Works for me every time.

A decent cargo cover should have been included with these cars. This has been covered (unintended pun) in other threads but even the accessory version you can buy doesn't appear to be of good quality.

· Registered
96 FWB
4,547 Posts
The more 'truckie' aftermarket offerings -WeatherTech, Husky- don't seem fitting for a hi-brow Caddy. TuxMat out of Canada is primo fit and quality for the floor mats in the wife's new SUV, and SmartLiner won out for the cargo mat.
Unless you're referring to the thing that uncoils to hide stuff. Her old SUV had one of those, and after using it 2-3x in 15 years it vanished 5 years ago either by accidentally leaving it somewhere (probably hauling something with seats down), or I just plain ditched it.

Reactions: NorthernSRX

· Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
18,083 Posts
Two other observations:

On sunny days, the Cadillac logo's projection is not bright enough to aim for the kick to open hatch. Whether by design or luck, the spot to aim for is directly below the bumper mounted parking sensor just to the left of center. Works for me every time.
I believe it may be by design.
The Escalade sweet spot for kick to open is below the passenger side inboard parking sensor, or right of center.

• Helpful
Reactions: NorthernSRX

· Premium Member
5,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So I think the XT6's birds-eye view for parking only comes on in reverse (100% of the time) or when going nose-first into a spot where the cameras detect a solid wall or close obstacles. That is obviously by design as the camera can't otherwise distinguish between parking and slow driving. The issue (for me) is that my CT5-V has a physical button I can hit to activate the camera whereas the XT6 requires going through the menu.

First world problem...

· Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
4,452 Posts
So I think the XT6's birds-eye view for parking only comes on in reverse (100% of the time) or when going nose-first into a spot where the cameras detect a solid wall or close obstacles. That is obviously by design as the camera can't otherwise distinguish between parking and slow driving. The issue (for me) is that my CT5-V has a physical button I can hit to activate the camera whereas the XT6 requires going through the menu.

First world problem...
What I did was to migrate the camera icon to the home page so all I need to do is tap it to turn on the front camera. Coming to a parking spot, it takes less than one second to activate the camera - just one quick tap and viola.

When starting out the FC comes on and stays on to about 12 kph and then goes off - what I would have liked is for it to also do the reverse and come on at 12 kph and below. Would not have mattered to me if it stayed on in slow traffic at rush hour or at lights/stop signs. But no big deal since I can quickly turn it on.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts