Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
Maybe I'm being a little too picky with an otherwise amazingly nice and quiet cabin. However, recently I noticed at 65mph+ I get wind noise from the roof/driver side window, it's hard to pin point. Naturally I checked all the seals and gaps, re-opened and closed all the windows and sunroof just to make sure there wasn't any dirt or anything preventing a full seal. The wind is not a constant type wind resistance but turbulent in nature, which is why I think something is slightly messing up the wind flow at higher speeds, perhaps the front hood.

So my question is this, if you make sure and turn off any radio and listen for wind what do you hear? When I compare to my Town& Country or Impala I can say the XT5 seems louder but I can't really compare to other XT5's. Any suggestions to check are also appreciated. On my next oil change I plan to ask the dealer as well.
This is a 2020 Sport. Also, to be clear I am not referring to road noise, that is obvious but not annoying, part of what I expect with larger wheels/tires.

Thanks in advance,
-D

· Registered
2019 CT6-V
317 Posts
Hi Everyone,
Maybe I'm being a little too picky with an otherwise amazingly nice and quiet cabin. However, recently I noticed at 65mph+ I get wind noise from the roof/driver side window, it's hard to pin point. Naturally I checked all the seals and gaps, re-opened and closed all the windows and sunroof just to make sure there wasn't any dirt or anything preventing a full seal. The wind is not a constant type wind resistance but turbulent in nature, which is why I think something is slightly messing up the wind flow at higher speeds, perhaps the front hood.

So my question is this, if you make sure and turn off any radio and listen for wind what do you hear? When I compare to my Town& Country or Impala I can say the XT5 seems louder but I can't really compare to other XT5's. Any suggestions to check are also appreciated. On my next oil change I plan to ask the dealer as well.
This is a 2020 Sport. Also, to be clear I am not referring to road noise, that is obvious but not annoying, part of what I expect with larger wheels/tires.

Thanks in advance,
-D
When I go from the CT6 to the XT5, I definitely notice more wind noise.
When we've had XT5 loaners, though, I do not notice much difference between our 2019 and the 2020/2021 loaners we've had. I have not noticed a turbulent sound; ours is just steady wind. Maybe go "test drive" a new one, or get a loaner from the dealer next oil change? :)

· Registered
2018 XT5
101 Posts
There is a certain amount of wind noise with my 18, but I take it as normal compared to other similar vehicles that I have driven over the years. I don't believe that it would be coming from the hood. Do you have cross bars on top? As long as you don't have any type of water leak, running a hose over the area(s) or even going through a car wash if you decide to do that, I would leave it alone. As long as there isn't a water leak, I wouldn't have a dealer touch it.

· Registered
2017 XT5
1,061 Posts
I always found the XT5 to be very quiet with less wind noise compared to other cars. I drive sports cars, so of course the XT5 is much quieter, but wife (who drove the XT5) has always had SUVs and compared to Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and Jeeps she's had the XT5 was definitely the winner for least wind noise. I'd suggest driving another to see if it's maybe something wrong with your car. I did once have a car (Honda) with a bad door seal and they replaced it and it made a world of difference.

· Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
702 Posts
Put some blue painters tape over the area where you think it's coming from.
Keep trying moving it around as needed. Once you figure it out then you can get it fixed under warranty or at a body shop that handles stuff like that. (which a lot of them are good at as they REPAIR damaged vehicles and see it regularly)

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for all the thoughts. First in answer to the question about cross bard, I don't have any installed, just the regular rails that come with the car. I did something that may have helped, I'm going to test a little more- I opened up all the windows and cleaned out the inside of the seals were the glass sits, it was caked with dirt. I am wondering if maybe the seal was compromised just enough with crud to create a small leak or bad seating. If that doesn't work I'll try some painters blue tape on the gaps and see how that responds. Just to clarify, wind noise happens at high speed, this is not your typical wind noise but more like a turbulent disruption kind of beating against the car rather than a smooth aerodynamic wind noise. I'll let you all know! Thanks again!
-D

· Registered
5 Posts
my car MY19 XT5 Platinum. I have similar experience on unknown noise at high speed(105~110km/h over). This is not engine noise but wind or some rattle noise and it comes from driver side. I suspected side mirror and seat belt clip, chair, etc..but I could not figure out. Help~ 😅

· Registered
18 CTS 3.6 AWD / 21 XT5 Prem Lux
1,064 Posts
I do plenty of highway driving and the wind noise doesn't get worse at speed nor is there any turbulence wind noise. I find the XT5 quiet inside. My guess is a seal is perhaps not quite right, perhaps worn or sometimes they get creases in them over time and at high speeds the wind is causing it to flutter. I had a similar noise on my 08 CTS where the driver door seal was worn after 9 years of ownership so at certain speeds and with a cross wind the seal on my door would flutter making what I would consider a wind turbulence type noise. Seems not to be a body panel thing unless you have something lose, guessing you don't.

· Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
2,668 Posts
my car MY19 XT5 Platinum. I have similar experience on unknown noise at high speed(105~110km/h over). This is not engine noise but wind or some rattle noise and it comes from driver side. I suspected side mirror and seat belt clip, chair, etc..but I could not figure out. Help~ 😅
Have you ever cleaned and lubricated the weather strips around your doors? That is the first action I would recommend.

· Registered
5 Posts
Not yet. Thank you for your advice. I never thought about weather strip cleaning, but I will try and let you know if it fixes. What kind of lubricant do you recommend?
Strangely the noise occurs when over 105~110km/h and the sound is like “kkirik kkirik”.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts