Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that my 2020 Premium Luxury w/Platinum does not switch to V4 (AFM) when in Sport Mode. It operates in V4 frequently at speeds below 50mph when in Touring or AWD Modes as expected.

I normally do not use Sport very often so not sure if this has been the norm since delivered a year ago, or it is a result of one of the recent Updates. I will certainly use Sport more frequently because of this.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AFM is very smooth and is likely advantageous for fuel efficiency. I do however, hear a very low level drone when V4 is enabled. I welcome the choice I now have to bypass V4 engagement with the Mode change, the same as I welcome the choice to bypass start/stop by using the inhibit switch beginning with the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5 Luxury
1,365 Posts
I could never figure out what the difference between AWD and Sport modes was, but you may be onto something here. I would always use Sport mode but you would have to turn it on every time.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5 Luxury
1,365 Posts
UPDATE: the other day I was coasting along in AWD mode and on V4 (AFM) and switched back and forth to Sport mode. The car did not go back to V6 when simply changing to Sport mode.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5 Platinum AWD
126 Posts
I drove in Sport mode today and it switches to V4 and back to V6 without any problems.
2018 Platinum AWD

·
Registered
802 Posts
From the manual

Just noticed that my 2020 Premium Luxury w/Platinum does not switch to V4 (AFM) when in Sport Mode. It operates in V4 frequently at speeds below 50mph when in Touring or AWD Modes as expected.
Active Fuel Management, which allows the engine to operate on either all of its cylinders, or in reduced cylinder operation, depending on the driving conditions. When less power is required, such as cruising at a constant vehicle speed, the system will operate in reduced operation mode, allowing the vehicle to achieve better fuel economy. When greater power demands are required, such as accelerating from a stop, passing, or merging onto a highway, the system will maintain full-cylinder operation.

AFM is very smooth and is likely advantageous for fuel efficiency. I do however, hear a very low level drone when V4 is enabled. I welcome the choice I now have to bypass V4 engagement with the Mode change, the same as I welcome the choice to bypass start/stop by using the inhibit switch beginning with the 2020 model year.
PAL allows the transmission to hold the current gear after a quick release of a heavily applied accelerator pedal. This provides greater engine braking and enhanced vehicle control.

I could never figure out what the difference between AWD and Sport modes was, but you may be onto something here. I would always use Sport mode but you would have to turn it on every time.
AWD Mode provides drive torque to all four wheels. Select AWD to improve traction and control on slippery road surfaces, such as gravel, sand, wet pavement, snow, and ice.

Sport Mode improves vehicle handling and acceleration on dry pavement. When active, Sport Mode modifies steering efforts, transmission shifting, AWD torque, and suspension tuning, if equipped. The Performance Algorithm Liftfoot (PAL) feature is enabled in Sport Mode. PAL allows the transmission to hold the current gear after a quick release of a heavily applied accelerator pedal. This provides greater engine braking and enhanced vehicle control.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Premium Luxury
100 Posts
I drove in sport mode yesterday in my '18 and it went into V4 mode. The only way I can tell I'm in V4 is if I look to see if the V4 light is on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts