Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and just bought my first Cadillac. 2019 XTS luxury AWD. I'm absolutely loving the car. I roll out of bed to get ready for the day and then roll into bed to go to work. I love it! I purchased the car used with 9500 miles. I didn't really notice it at the dealer however when I get above 40mph I feel the slightest vibration. I am having a problem determining if it feels in the tires or driveline. I live in Pennsylvania and my dealers are closed because of COVID. I'm just trying to get feedback. I'm really hoping it's something simple. I have a hard time believing its something major with that few miles.
Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Possible wheel weight has fell off of one wheel. See if you can check to make sure each wheel has at least some left. Each wheel will not have the same amount of weights as no two wheels will be exactly alike.

Wheel weights will be on the inside of the wheel, look through the spokes.

·
Registered
18 XTS Luxury AWD, 06 SRX V6-AWD *** Gone - 08 DTS LuxIII, 87 Brougham d'Elegance
500 Posts
I had something similar shortly after I got mine. The dealership found out one of the tires was defective and replaced it. No more vibration. Hopefully, this is all you need.

Have you checked to see if the service departments are also closed? In Oregon, most (perhaps all) dealerships are open (sales and service). They are considered "essential". I had my XTS in a couple of weeks ago for a repair. The Service Adviser and the service department were operating a little differently (sanitizing keys and cars ... maintaining distance, etc.). I would think that, at the very least, the service departments would be considered "essential" and would be open in all areas. Many people are employed in essential careers and need to get to work. Might be worth a look.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury
189 Posts
Naturally, the tires/wheels are the first culprit to look at when vibration occurs. However, do not lose sight of the AWD driveline as being the possible cause. I have seen more than one post where owners have replaced tires, balanced and rebalanced wheels without any improvement, finally to find out that it was an AWD driveline problem all along. By AWD driveline problem, I mean it could be a defective component or misalignment issue. If the tires and wheels check out OK, then I would start to look closer at the AWD driveline.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate all the replies. I am really liking this forum as a resource. So I finally got the car to a Cadillac service department. I thought we found it. Because they told me one of the tires was plugged and not properly balanced after the repair. However the vibration is still there. So to this point the car has 12,000 miles. Tire Pressures are exactly the same. The tires of been properly balanced and rotated. I still feel it.
Since I've posted this I also have noticed another issue twice in the 4 weeks owning the car.
So if I am on a steep hill, slow speed and low rpm the car will shutter. Only in this combination. High rpm or high speed it is fine.
Hopefully get all this resolved soon. As always any input it appreciated.
Thank you!

·
Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
858 Posts
I really appreciate all the replies. I am really liking this forum as a resource. So I finally got the car to a Cadillac service department. I thought we found it. Because they told me one of the tires was plugged and not properly balanced after the repair. However the vibration is still there. So to this point the car has 12,000 miles. Tire Pressures are exactly the same. The tires of been properly balanced and rotated. I still feel it.
Since I've posted this I also have noticed another issue twice in the 4 weeks owning the car.
So if I am on a steep hill, slow speed and low rpm the car will shutter. Only in this combination. High rpm or high speed it is fine.
Hopefully get all this resolved soon. As always any input it appreciated.
Thank you!
Take the car to a tire dealer like Discount Tire or Tire Barn. Have them to recheck all tires to make certain that they are not out of round, wheel balance and check wheels for out of roundness or one being bent. It should not cost you much to have this done and it will save you time fooling with the dealership service department as they are not always the best when it comes to wheel balancing or checking for issues that I have mentioned.

If the tire dealer finds that a wheel is out of round that will be a warranty issue. If a a wheel is bent that will probably be on you but you can always check and see if service will warranty it. If it is a tire issue other than that tire that was plugged that will be a warranty issue that the tire dealership will be able to handle with the tire manufacture.

If the issue cannot be resolved at the tire dealer than you may be looking at an issue with the AWD but I doubt it.
I am certain that your car has Good Year Tires, it is nothing for a Good Year Tire to be out of round.

The shutter is something that the service department needs to look at as it could be a bad spark plug, fuel injection problem or even a software issue.

This does not always hold true but a new car that is traded with less than at least 15,000 miles should always raise a flag. Ask the service department to give you a copy of the full service history on the car or go to car fax and get the service history on the car, the few dollars that you will pay will be well worth it.

Personally I do not think you have an issue that cannot be resolved, but I will be checking your post to see how things go. For the most Part the XTS is a pretty reliable car.

Best of luck to you

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury
189 Posts
It seems that you have eliminated the tires and wheels as the source of your problem. AWD component misalignment or loosness remains a possibility. In view of that as well as your new shuttering problem, you may find it helpful to take it to a chassis shop with an AWD dynomometer. They will be able to put load on the car while in drive, so vibration and shuttering will be observed and pinpointed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts