Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
My car was built June 2018 and the loaner that I am driving was built April 2019. The CUE in the loaner defaults much like what your CUE is doing after your Radio Control Module was replaced. The CUE in my car acts like the CUE in your car prior to you getting the Radio Control Module replaced. I am thinking that perhaps something else changed with the CUE months after my build date.
My car is yet in service with no word from the infotainment engineer. Basically all that has been done is to gather the same information that they collected weeks ago. I was so frustrated that I went to the service department with the intent of just picking up my car as after seeing that the loaner does the same thing I do not see a fix and just figured all Cadillac was doing was just wasting my time.
The service manger asked me not to take my car as we had already come this far in the process and the infotainment engineer is supposed to be contacting him tomorrow to let him know what service is to do.
The service manager is also saying that he is doubtful that under the circumstances the infotainment engineer will come back with a resolve but wants to see what he is going to say. I let the car stay in service and we will see what happens tomorrow.
I believe we both agree we can live with this issue if we have too, but it is not right. In that all the 2019's with the updated CUE are experiencing this issue I would think that there would be enough complaints that Cadillac would really want to get this issue resolved but perhaps many owners are not that concerned and are not affected by the CUE screen display selected app defaulting to a different app at start up.
One poster stated that Cadillac may not see this as a major issue and more of an inconvenience to owner so it is not high on their list, but the CUE also has other issues that are being reported and there are still a lot of owner who are not happy still with the CUE in general even though it has been updated.
I will post back tomorrow with what one way or another will be for me and end to this saga:mad:

Absolutely no word from the Infotainment Engineer. I pick up my car toady. The bottom line is appears that there is no fix and it looks like this issue is something that Cadillac is not overly concerned about. Once again Cadillac attitude seems to be as long as it works, it does not have to work as advertised nor correctly it just has to work.
Good luck on your end but you might be better off if you like me just try and live with this issue. No reason to risk getting your car damaged in service or sitting aimlessly on the dealer lot over nothing馃槑

Update:
Infotainment Engineer just contacted the dealership, at this time there is no fix end of story:eek:

Registered
18 XTS Luxury AWD, 06 SRX V6-AWD *** Gone - 08 DTS LuxIII, 87 Brougham d'Elegance
Blessed are those who expect nothing ... for they shall not be disappointed.

I suppose this is the best attitude to have with the CUE.

I also suppose that we can still feel slightly validated in the fact that Cadillac brought in an Infotainment Engineer for this. It shows that they recognize that there is some sort of issue actually going on.

Thanks, man, for the updates!!

Registered
18 XTS Luxury AWD, 06 SRX V6-AWD *** Gone - 08 DTS LuxIII, 87 Brougham d'Elegance
Yesterday, another glitch that my CUE has experienced before has come back ... it deletes out my Sirius XM favorites. I have to go in and reset all of my favorites. This happened before they replaced the Radio Control Module and the thought was that replacing the RCM would (in addition to solving all of the other CUE woes) solve the issue of CUE deleting out my favorites.

I went to the dealership, but my Service Adviser and the Tech who works on my car are both off Mondays. I spoke with another SA there and I told her that I am not upset with them, as they've been nothing but nice/polite to me ... but I am super frustrated with this CUE and all of its issues. I told her this will be about the 6th time my car has been in the shop for CUE issues (and I've only owned it for four months ... I bought it 3/30/19). She suggested that I speak with Cadillac Customer Relations

So yesterday, I called CCR. They were very nice to me and opened a case and gave me the case number. Someone is supposed to call me today and coordinate with the CEM (I don't know what that is) at the dealership. We'll see if anything happens with this.

I told them that I am considering getting rid of my car. I told them that I realize that these are nothing more than annoyances, but it is frustrating that if I want to change what I want to listen to in the car, that I have to go into the Sirius XM app in the car and browse/search for the channel that I want to listen to. Otherwise, I'm stuck with the one station. I also told them that my neighbors and friends at work are poking fun at me about my car being in the shop AGAIN. I told them that they are definitely drawing conclusions about the true quality of Cadillac.

When I was shopping for my car, I also had considered the Buick Regal TourX (wagon). Yesterday, I went and test drove one again. I remembered that ... although I like the wagon ... it isn't quite as refined as my Cadillac (either the DTS I traded in ... or my XTS I have now). There are certain niceties that the Cadillacs have that the Buick doesn't. The wagon I looked at was the Essence model (their top model) with the Driver Confidence I and II packages (has all of the safety features ... which my XTS does not have). But it does not have the little things that I have come to appreciate in my Cadillacs ... the RainSense wipers (especially living in the rainy PNW), the ventilated seats (and heated seats/steering wheel that work in conjunction with the Climate Control system), the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel that is part of the memory system (plus, I absolutely detest those levers under the steering column that you have to hunt for, pull down adjust the column and then put the lever back in place).

In the end, I like the little things that my Cadillac has ... but with the issues my car's CUE has, it's getting pretty tempting ...

Registered
2019 XTS Prem Lux AWD Phantom Gray/Ebony traded 2017 CT6 Prem Lux AWD Stellar Blk
Discussion Starter #44
Yesterday, another glitch that my CUE has experienced before has come back ... it deletes out my Sirius XM favorites. I have to go in and reset all of my favorites. This happened before they replaced the Radio Control Module and the thought was that replacing the RCM would (in addition to solving all of the other CUE woes) solve the issue of CUE deleting out my favorites.

I went to the dealership, but my Service Adviser and the Tech who works on my car are both off Mondays. I spoke with another SA there and I told her that I am not upset with them, as they've been nothing but nice/polite to me ... but I am super frustrated with this CUE and all of its issues. I told her this will be about the 6th time my car has been in the shop for CUE issues (and I've only owned it for four months ... I bought it 3/30/19). She suggested that I speak with Cadillac Customer Relations

So yesterday, I called CCR. They were very nice to me and opened a case and gave me the case number. Someone is supposed to call me today and coordinate with the CEM (I don't know what that is) at the dealership. We'll see if anything happens with this.

I told them that I am considering getting rid of my car. I told them that I realize that these are nothing more than annoyances, but it is frustrating that if I want to change what I want to listen to in the car, that I have to go into the Sirius XM app in the car and browse/search for the channel that I want to listen to. Otherwise, I'm stuck with the one station. I also told them that my neighbors and friends at work are poking fun at me about my car being in the shop AGAIN. I told them that they are definitely drawing conclusions about the true quality of Cadillac.

When I was shopping for my car, I also had considered the Buick Regal TourX (wagon). Yesterday, I went and test drove one again. I remembered that ... although I like the wagon ... it isn't quite as refined as my Cadillac (either the DTS I traded in ... or my XTS I have now). There are certain niceties that the Cadillacs have that the Buick doesn't. The wagon I looked at was the Essence model (their top model) with the Driver Confidence I and II packages (has all of the safety features ... which my XTS does not have). But it does not have the little things that I have come to appreciate in my Cadillacs ... the RainSense wipers (especially living in the rainy PNW), the ventilated seats (and heated seats/steering wheel that work in conjunction with the Climate Control system), the power tilt/telescoping steering wheel that is part of the memory system (plus, I absolutely detest those levers under the steering column that you have to hunt for, pull down adjust the column and then put the lever back in place).

In the end, I like the little things that my Cadillac has ... but with the issues my car's CUE has, it's getting pretty tempting ...
I would like for you to start your car.
Touch Home and open the settings app.
Touch Systems and look for About and open it.
You will see a Build Number, beside the build number will be a small circle with i in it, Touch and open and you will see the build date.

If the Build Number is not PS22.8 and build date April 9, 2019, ask service to run this update. If they have a problem running it the normal way they will need to force the update using USB File Transfer.
This update is designed to help some XM issues.

They can only run this update (PS22.8) if you do not have it.

The problem that I had with XM was not that I lost my XM presets but XM would lock up to where I could not change channels and no XM radio information was being displayed.

Registered
I just went and checked ... It is the PS22.8 build number with an April 9, 2019 build date.

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
It is either the software or perhaps the radio module that was installed was also bad. I have not experienced the XM issue that I had since the software update but as you know the CUE screen selected app will default to the home app. My only consolation is that my screen does not default as bad as the CUE display in the brand new 2019 XTS Premium LUX AWD loaner that I had for three days.
I am cautiously optimistic that there may yet be a software update at a later date that will resolve the default issue as well as any other issues. The complaints at least from the owner of the 2018-2019's with the updated CUE are mounting.
I hope that they can get this thing with your XM presets being lost corrected as I would suspect it would be a major headache to have to reset them on a daily bases.
I do not know if you are selecting all XM stations per row but if so you might want to mix it up with a combination of FM or AM Stations and see what happens.
In other words just do not have an entire row with nothing but XM stations.
It is a long shot but you or service could also try disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. If you contact OnStar from the car they may be able to connect you with someone in infotainment that can walk you through an easier way to do a hard reset of the CUE without disconnecting the battery.

Registered
One of the things that the Service Adviser and Tech had thought (after some of the first problems that I was having with the CUE a few months ago) was that using the USB for music was messing up the system somehow. And when I noticed that the presets were deleted, it was after using the USB for a while. I cannot state with certainty that this is related, but I suppose it's possible. Nevertheless, if it is so that using the USB for music is messing up my system, that's still an issue that needs resolving. I find it unreasonable to believe that we should have to choose between using the Sirius XM only ... or using the USB and then having to reset all of your XM favorites afterwards.

Registered
I wanted to post an update.

As I noted previously, some of my Sirius XM favorites were being grayed out. Cadillac have called me and told me they are aware of this situation and they will be offering some sort of compensation for the inconvenience. They did not say what that would be. The Rep that I talked to said she has not heard of the issue with the screen defaulting to another screen ... but it sounds like she was only speaking for herself there. They were going to communicate with the dealership I'm working with on the issues.

I had the issue happen again the other day and let the dealership know. They had already heard from Cadillac and said that GM is working on a fix, but don't have one at the moment.

This morning, I got an update from my Service Adviser. She sent me the bulletin related to the Sirius XM issue. At least it's official ... GM know about the issue with the favorites graying out. It's a small step, but I'll take it.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)

As I noted previously, some of my Sirius XM favorites were being grayed out. Cadillac have called me and told me they are aware of this situation and they will be offering some sort of compensation for the inconvenience. They did not say what that would be. The Rep that I talked to said she has not heard of the issue with the screen defaulting to another screen ... but it sounds like she was only speaking for herself there. They were going to communicate with the dealership I'm working with on the issues.

I had the issue happen again the other day and let the dealership know. They had already heard from Cadillac and said that GM is working on a fix, but don't have one at the moment.

This morning, I got an update from my Service Adviser. She sent me the bulletin related to the Sirius XM issue. At least it's official ... GM know about the issue with the favorites graying out. It's a small step, but I'll take it.
I have the 22.8 updated software that you mentioned,but have not experienced the issue that you are having with your XM. My issue remains the screen default issue. Maybe Cadillac should offer compensation for this issue also.
It will probably be a while before we see a software update for either of these two issues.

Registered
2018 XTS Lux AWD

Thanks, great info! Took my 2018 XTS to dealer showed him first 6 favorite buttons grayed out, they replaced the whole thing (it was good because I bought the car used from them and it had a scratch in the screen). Picked it up and still had grayed out buttons. I'll show them the TSB. Thanks again

Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum
Too bad they took out the CD player!!
I'm kind of glad that I never ask my CUE to do too much.

I guess there are some advantages to being a luddite.
If I get an ELR, I'd install the glove box CD player and never even pair a phone to it.

Registered
2018 XTS Lux AWD
Update: I put 8 favorites to the touch buttons that were not grayed out, yesterday those now too are grayed out. Took the car to the dealer again and advised them that my traffic icon and buttons were grayed and asked if there was any update he said no. This is really ridiculous that they can't find the issue.
It really makes me question the safety of the new self-driving car by Cadillac, if their programmers can't fix Cue in 6 years what makes you think they can write a program for self-driving?
There's a point I guess the government needs to step in and make GM step up and fix this.

Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
I'd prefer the government to stay out of the automotive software business where operator convenience is the main issue. I'm sure they'll come up with a standard self-driving V2V protocol when enough people die or more cars from multiple manufacturers offer it.

Rather than contact your dealer, (who may know little to nothing about future software updates until they're released) why not contact the CUE team directly and voice your concerns? It's entirely possible you might get a straight answer from an informed source.

If a dealership can't solve a particular problem, there's an established system to escalate the issue to the GM engineering team responsible. Too many owners let lazy Service Departments off the hook. If you aren't satisfied with the Service Adviser's answer, ALWAYS go to their boss, the Service Manager. I have always gotten satisfaction for what I needed from them by being polite but firm. Oftentimes, they have no idea a customer is getting the runaround unless they're informed - very few techs willingly volunteer to tell their boss they couldn't fix something.

Whenever I move to a new city and scout out the local dealerships, I make it a point to meet the Service Manager and ask them why I should make them my preferred choice if I have a service problem. Once I settle on a dealership, I always drop in to get some face time with the Service Manager, even if just to say hi anytime I take my vehicle in. This small gesture has never failed to help on the very few occasions where I wasn't satisfied. The majority of face-to-face customer encounters they have are negative, so they remember the friendly visits!

No matter which dealership I've used, (and there have been many across multiple states) the Service Managers have consistently gone the extra mile to make it right for me.

Good Service Advisers can be hard to find. They can be anything from data entry operators who have little or no technical expertise all the way up to mechanics on desk duty who've seen it all.

I picked my XLR up from a major folding top repair one afternoon and noticed some scratches on the rear deck when I got home. I immediately drove back, and showed the scratches to the Service Manager. I was leaving for a three-week business trip the next day and without any hesitation, he promised he'd have it fixed when I got back and was able to bring the car in. That's how you run a Service Department!

Always remember, Service Departments live and die by documented customer feedback. You're supposed to get a feedback form when you retrieve your car. If they do a good (or bad) job, fill one out! These forms are sent to GM and the results are used to reward the best dealerships in the region - rewards range from cash to paid vacations at resorts. It's a pretty big deal to the Service Departments as they compete locally with each other for the goodies. (I had a friend who happened to be a Service Manager at a local Cadillac dealership, and he educated me to navigate the system successfully.)

CCC

Registered
2018 XTS Lux AWD
I'd prefer the government to stay out of the automotive software business where operator convenience is the main issue. I'm sure they'll come up with a standard self-driving V2V protocol when enough people die or more cars from multiple manufacturers offer it.

Rather than contact your dealer, (who may know little to nothing about future software updates until they're released) why not contact the CUE team directly and voice your concerns? It's entirely possible you might get a straight answer from an informed source.

CCC
Thanks, that's a good idea! I didn't think of that.
As for government involvement, I'm with you they shouldn't be in the software business, I was meaning more on the bureau of automotive affairs or consumer protection office to lean, require GM to fix the issue.
Thank you again for the idea, I will look Cue team up now.

Registered
2004 Deville
Thanks, great info! Took my 2018 XTS to dealer showed him first 6 favorite buttons grayed out, they replaced the whole thing (it was good because I bought the car used from them and it had a scratch in the screen). Picked it up and still had grayed out buttons. I'll show them the TSB. Thanks again

Registered
2004 Deville
I received a 鈥淐ustomer Care" letter dated June 30, 2019 from GM indicating out 2018 Cadillac Premium Luxury XTS needed to have the infotainment audio reprogrammed with the correct radio software and calibration. *NOTE鈥 I WASN鈥橳 HAVING ISSUES. However, the letter said the Infotainment/audio should be reprogrammed because others were having issues that reprogramming would correct.

I made the first appointment with our local Cadillac dealer on July 3, 2019 for the reprogramming process. The technician said the reprogramming was complete and everything should be fine. HOWEVER, SINCE THAT VISIT, THE SIRIUS/XM RADIO HAS NOT WORKED PROPERLY. In particular, I can no longer store favorites that will be available the next time I drive the car. I鈥檝e made no less than 6 trips to our Cadillac dealer since the initial visit to deal with the radio/infotainment center.

As of this writing, the issue is still not resolved. During a visit to the dealer in late July the technician completed what he called a "factory reset" plus installed what he said was new GM software from a USB stick. The factory reset erased everything we had stored under the Favorites (radio stations) and Navigation (destinations). We spent the following week trying to reinstall and duplicate those settings and to see if the radio/infotainment center would work properly (as it had worked prior to the initially reprogram by the dealer). At this meeting, the the technician suggested "if his attempt at fixing the system didn鈥檛 resolve the issue鈥, a new infotainment/radio would need to be installed. However, no offer for replacement has ever been offered.

Ten days ago, I contacted the service manager at our Cadillac dealer asking if I should bring our XTS in for another attempt at resolving the issue. His response was GM and Cadillac contend there is a software issue that they are working on correcting and there would be no benefit for me to bring the Cadillac in at this time. In addition, I received a call from a GM representative to tell me that GM/Cadillac technicians are working on finding a resolution to the software issue. This is the kind of 鈥渟tonewalling鈥 I鈥檝e been receiving from the outset in early July, 2019.

I believe GM/Cadillac have made a decision not to correct the issue because one, they don鈥檛 know how to and two, they think in time we as owners will just learn to 鈥渓ive with it鈥. Apparently, replacing the infotainment/audio system is either too difficult, too expense and/or replacement won鈥檛 resolve the issue anyway.

The position GM and Cadillac are currently taking DOES NOT meet my expectations of the Cadillac Warranty and I鈥檓 NOT HAPPY. The mileage on our Cadillac is just over 16K miles and should be fully covered. My suggestion to all is look into the Lemon Laws in your state for possible relief.

Failing to correct this issue definitely puts the liability on GM/Cadillac for damages we as owners are experiencing when we don鈥檛 have full use of our Cadillac as expected and deserved.

Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
Since your CUE software was operating correctly prior to the latest update, I would ask the Service Manager to have your vehicle's infotainment software revision "rolled back" to the prior release, and have it updated when / if the memory preset issue is resolved. He has the ability to contact the CUE devs to obtain the prior release if he says the software isn't available locally.

If he stonewalls you, contact the Regional Service Manager and explain your situation. You can also contact the CUE engineering support team (the contact info has been listed in the CUE section) to get the real story as to the status of the effort to resolve this software issue. In my experience, contacting Cadillac Customer support is of minimal help. "We're sorry you're experiencing issue XXX with your Cadillac, blah, blah, blah. . . . " They offer condolences more than actual resolutions.

So far you've been given nothing but verbal assurances without documentation data proving what if any effort is being made to fix the issue you and others describe. There should be a reference number used to define the ongoing program to troubleshoot the software fix; without data, they're just giving you hearsay. Dealerships that can't fix problems routinely contact the TAC (Technical Assistance Center) responsible for the system involved. If your tech says it must be a hardware issue, then by all means, sit down with both the tech and SM and ask for new hardware. Better yet, have them show you a car on the lot with this software upgrade that actually operates correctly. That should eliminate software or hardware as the cause.

CCC

Registered
Discussion Starter #58
I received a 鈥淐ustomer Care" letter dated June 30, 2019 from GM indicating out 2018 Cadillac Premium Luxury XTS needed to have the infotainment audio reprogrammed with the correct radio software and calibration. *NOTE鈥 I WASN鈥橳 HAVING ISSUES. However, the letter said the Infotainment/audio should be reprogrammed because others were having issues that reprogramming would correct.

I made the first appointment with our local Cadillac dealer on July 3, 2019 for the reprogramming process. The technician said the reprogramming was complete and everything should be fine. HOWEVER, SINCE THAT VISIT, THE SIRIUS/XM RADIO HAS NOT WORKED PROPERLY. In particular, I can no longer store favorites that will be available the next time I drive the car. I鈥檝e made no less than 6 trips to our Cadillac dealer since the initial visit to deal with the radio/infotainment center.

As of this writing, the issue is still not resolved. During a visit to the dealer in late July the technician completed what he called a "factory reset" plus installed what he said was new GM software from a USB stick. The factory reset erased everything we had stored under the Favorites (radio stations) and Navigation (destinations). We spent the following week trying to reinstall and duplicate those settings and to see if the radio/infotainment center would work properly (as it had worked prior to the initially reprogram by the dealer). At this meeting, the the technician suggested "if his attempt at fixing the system didn鈥檛 resolve the issue鈥, a new infotainment/radio would need to be installed. However, no offer for replacement has ever been offered.

Ten days ago, I contacted the service manager at our Cadillac dealer asking if I should bring our XTS in for another attempt at resolving the issue. His response was GM and Cadillac contend there is a software issue that they are working on correcting and there would be no benefit for me to bring the Cadillac in at this time. In addition, I received a call from a GM representative to tell me that GM/Cadillac technicians are working on finding a resolution to the software issue. This is the kind of 鈥渟tonewalling鈥 I鈥檝e been receiving from the outset in early July, 2019.

I believe GM/Cadillac have made a decision not to correct the issue because one, they don鈥檛 know how to and two, they think in time we as owners will just learn to 鈥渓ive with it鈥. Apparently, replacing the infotainment/audio system is either too difficult, too expense and/or replacement won鈥檛 resolve the issue anyway.

The position GM and Cadillac are currently taking DOES NOT meet my expectations of the Cadillac Warranty and I鈥檓 NOT HAPPY. The mileage on our Cadillac is just over 16K miles and should be fully covered. My suggestion to all is look into the Lemon Laws in your state for possible relief.

Failing to correct this issue definitely puts the liability on GM/Cadillac for damages we as owners are experiencing when we don鈥檛 have full use of our Cadillac as expected and deserved.
GM/Cadillac is not going to replace anything that has to do with the Infotainment Center as they know the issue is software related and only if and when they come up with a software update will all these issue possibly be resolved.
My display default issue is practically nothing compared to what I am reading concerning issue with CUE here and at the CT6 sight. It has been three months and I still have yet to hear back from the Cadillac advisor about any software update.

Registered
Has anyone with a 2018-2019 XTS had any issues with the CUE screen display defaulting to another display.
I can set my display for Audio and two to three days later the screen display will have defaulted to another display.
It makes no difference what display I setup on the screen, with in a few days it will default to a different display.
This has been going on since I purchased the car. I was also able to duplicate this issue for service with another new 2019 XTS on the lot. The service manger stated that there have been other complaints but so far there has not been a fix.
This is not a major problem just a slight nusiance to have to change the display back to the display that you commonly like.

41 - 60 of 106 Posts