Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Lets get something straight here. I have not said it has not happened. What has been said is that in our experience, we have not seen it. We have seen it on videos that just for some reason make it appear like that in the video. What I have said (since you like to quote me so much) is that it is not functioning as designed if it is doing that when you look at it without any other medium in between that MIGHT cause it.
Look I'm not being a jerk here to you! I'm just flabbergasted that we saw this, and it has not happened again! I took video of it because when we walked out, it did it! No offense to you at all😊 I'm just really puzzled myself. It has not done it again at all ever since. So please don't feel I'm attacking you it is not my intention. I'm just shocked about this. And I'm questioning myself now and my husband! Did we really see this? If no one else has🤦‍♀️?? I've tried everything and I can't repeat it! Sorry anyway I hope you have a good day

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Love this post, made me smile this morning. But this is DEFINATELY the frequency of the video recording device and LED lighting making it appear on video that the lights are "dancing". Without question. What you saw that day was a combo of the lights perhaps flashing a couple times with unlock, or find my car, but there is no way in real life you saw them do what they are doing in the video. I think you were giddy with excitement of your new Caddy and over thought what you might have seen. Here's an easy way to prove, look at your XT5 with the lights on. They won't be dancing, I promise. Now take another video with the same phone you used, play it back, and I bet the lights will be dancing in your video. BAM, myth busted.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
882 Posts
Look I'm not being a jerk here to you! I'm just flabbergasted that we saw this, and it has not happened again! I took video of it because when we walked out, it did it! No offense to you at all😊 I'm just really puzzled myself. It has not done it again at all ever since. So please don't feel I'm attacking you it is not my intention. I'm just shocked about this. And I'm questioning myself now and my husband! Did we really see this? If no one else has🤦‍♀️?? I've tried everything and I can't repeat it! Sorry anyway I hope you have a good day
Understood. I'm just as surprised as you. I would keep an eye on it though (no pun intended) because it is not supposed to do that, and could be indicative of a problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Understood. I'm just as surprised as you. I would keep an eye on it though (no pun intended) because it is not supposed to do that, and could be indicative of a problem.
Thanks so much for your reply! It has never happened again. And thanks for trying to help it is so appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Love this post, made me smile this morning. But this is DEFINATELY the frequency of the video recording device and LED lighting making it appear on video that the lights are "dancing". Without question. What you saw that day was a combo of the lights perhaps flashing a couple times with unlock, or find my car, but there is no way in real life you saw them do what they are doing in the video. I think you were giddy with excitement of your new Caddy and over thought what you might have seen. Here's an easy way to prove, look at your XT5 with the lights on. They won't be dancing, I promise. Now take another video with the same phone you used, play it back, and I bet the lights will be dancing in your video. BAM, myth busted.
Omgoodness I feel so stupid right now🤦‍♀️ it did it in the video I just recorded! We could have sworn we saw it doing this and is why I took the video! How could we be so dumb? Sorry to everyone!! But you are right myth busted!! Thank so much for all your answers and trying to help my dumb ass self🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️ well I guess I just have to laugh at ourselves now

·
Registered
882 Posts
Ha, Ha, no problem. When I first saw this in a video, I was like 'what the heck', especially when I also saw the flickering centre console on the dash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My husband and I are so questioning ourselves🤦‍♀️ talk about feeling so stupid! Bahhahhahh I'm an idiot I guess! oh my!! Thanks so much anyway I hope everyone in caddy land has a great day today

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,007 Posts
You're not an idiot but there's no sense in repeatedly beating a dead horse. You both saw the flickering lights, we have not seen them, possible causes have been offered.......... maybe during the week yet another late XT5 owner will chime in. Hang in there.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
I think there are two different things happening. One is the video light dance. It even shows up in the camera rearview mirror. The other maybe an alternator regulator not exciting sporadically and your getting the cyclical resonance of alternating current appearing to flash the lights

·
Registered
2002 SLS
7 Posts
Here’s my two cents.
computer/wiring glitch. May have been a “new car” settling in of the electronics. As a diagnostic tech for forty years(yes, that does put me back in the “points and condensers” days. I have seen cars do some funky things. And yes, these complex computer setups and software nowadays can be downright ornery. May have just been a “perfect storm” of electrons/circuitry and sensor play. The automatic start/automatic lights and ambient light level on the sensor for the automatic lights triggering on right at that on/off threshhold. Who knows! Thing is, if the lady and her husband both witnessed this standing outside looking right at their car....how arrogant and condescending is it for some butthead to tell them they didn’t see it?
As for the effect, maybe this can be sent to GM as an idea for optional “light dancing” on autostart...why not? The software would be fairly simple, kind of like the Trans-Siberian Orchestra christmas lights/music video... and btw, I get a small royalty if one of you techy boys/girls picks up and runs with my idea!!🤠👍👍😂😂

so, Smahoney3567, keep trusting your eyes, see if you can get it to repeat and let us know. Was there any high tension(800volts) lines around? Electrical lines for the common reference. Or maybe that loud truck had some sound frequency that excited the alarm system a little? Who knows! It was a cool effect and made the car do “Funkytown”!!😂😂😂

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Premium
2 Posts

If you watch even the inside lights dance also! My lights did this

Here is another one..

Here is my car outside the restaurant! Please tell me I'm not crazy lol

Sorry I can't upload my video
Regarding the electronic shift use, read the manual and it will inform you that shifting from Drive to Manual is simply toggling the shift handle towards the rear of the car. Not towards the rear and then towards the front.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Premium
2 Posts
That looks like an artifact of the video sampling rate. The cameras used in some states for traffic surveillance also make some lights "dance".

In some parts of the videos it appears that the emergency flashers are on.

But the OP says his lights flashed also - so he must have seen the flashing without a camera ......... ?
I believe you are absolutely correct. I've notice the same effect when using my Accord with right turning camera active. Cars with led lights seem to flicker when viewed through that right turn camera display.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Thing is, if the lady and her husband both witnessed this standing outside looking right at their car....how arrogant and condescending is it for some butthead to tell them they didn’t see it?
Don't know where you gleaned that from...where exactly did anyone say that? Frankly I found your above comment to be arrogant and rude. Not any that I read. There were suggestions as to our experience with that supposed phenomena, and we are not going to just agree with the OP's version if it runs counter to our own.

·
Registered
2020 Cadillac Premium Luxury XT5
173 Posts
Yesterday there was a XT5 behind me in traffic and when it got closer its front lights were "dancing" when I watched it through my rear view camera mirror. When I looked at the XT5 using my side mirror the lights were not "dancing ". So obviously the camera resolution picks it up but your naked eyes don't.

·
Registered
2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,468 Posts
It is not a result of camera resolution; it is a result of the framing rate of the camera. A view in you camera mirror is a series of still images. Just like the wagon wheels when watching any old time movie on television seem to be turning in reverse.

LED lights are not on constantly like incandescent. They are off and on at a rate that is not detected by the human eye. The camera frames capture the view of the LED's in both the on and off cycles and the view of the camera emphasizes the actual on/off so humans can see both.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
994 Posts
I've seen this effect numerous times on TV videos. LEDs do flicker, but we just can't see it with the naked eye.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts