Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I left town on January 4 and didn't return until March 17. After sitting for so long without a battery tender or anything, I was wondering if the 2019 XT5 or the 2017 XTS that we have would start. After returning home I opened the door of the XT5 and no lights came on. It was totally dead. Then I went to the XTS and it started right up. Both are kept in the attached garage of our home in Minnesota.

I was surprised that the XT5 was totally dead. I connected a battery charger to the charge the battery. I heard some of the relays click. The charger has a 10 amp limit and the circuit tripped on the charger, would reset itself and then trip again. Something was pulling a lot of current to cause that to happen. I ran a couple of errands with the XTS to top off the battery and tried to jump start the XT5 by using jumper cables to connect the two car batteries together. The XTS was running and I had my wife press lightly on the XTS gas pedal to get the RPMs into the 2000-2500 range and then I tried to start the XT5. Though the lights were on in the XT5, it would not turn over. I know it had power but I've never had a car not turn over when jumped to another car.

Both cars were then turned off but I left the batteries connected together and went into the house. I went back into the garage after about an hour, disconnected the jumper cables and connected the battery charger. The chargers front panel meter showed the car was pulling 8 amps but the charger did not trip and stayed working. I left the battery charger on overnight. When I went out the next morning I disconnected the battery charger, which showed it was putting out 6 amps. I then tried to start the car and it started right up. The car has been starting and running fine ever since. I drove the car about 100 miles before the auto stop feature would work so presumably it took that long to fully charge the battery.

I'm wondering why the XT5 was dead and yet the XTS started up without a problem. I'm wondering what was pulling so much current as to overload the battery charger. Would a totally dead battery pull that much current? Why didn't the XT5 start even when jumped to a running car? I've read about car electronics using power when they are turned off so they can look for key fobs and perform other functions in the back ground. But I wouldn't think it would totally drain the battery.

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same thing happened to my 2017 XT5, after sitting only 5 days. Took it to the dealer for third time to diagnose auto stop not working. They replaced battery (second time!) and battery current sensor under warranty. So far, so good.

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did this happen recently or when the car was new? I don't know what auto stop would have to do with this. When was the most recent repair for this problem done?

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's been about a year since the auto stop didn't. As I said, it took three service visits. Auto stop won't function if battery is too low. Finally repaired a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,527 Posts
I connected a battery charger to the charge the battery. I heard some of the relays click. The charger has a 10 amp limit and the circuit tripped on the charger, would reset itself and then trip again. Something was pulling a lot of current to cause that to happen.
Does your battery charger have a mode for AGM batteries?

The battery in my 2017 XT5 gave the same symptoms after sitting for two weeks. My charger would not fully charge the battery and the start/stop would not work. I bought a new charger that has a switch for AGM. That new charger fully charged the battery in my XT5 and the start/stop worked right away.

If the start/stop does not work, that is a good indicator that the battery is not fully charged which can happen after repeatedly driving short trips.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
A totally or close-to-totally dead lead-acid battery presents an almost dead short to a battery charger, thus tripping the breaker on one that doesn't have very high amperage output capability.

With both your vehicles it would be a much better idea to use small Battery Minders while you're away or if one of the cars will sit for more than 5 days. The small smart chargers keep the battery fully charged and prevent plate sulfation - which kills even a new partially-discharged battery. And the electrolyte in a discharged battery is almost pure water - the dead battery can freeze and burst below 31 degreesF.

All our cars present different parasitic loads due to electronics and system memory requirements. Apparently the XT5 has a lot of bells and whistles installed. My STS is a garage queen now, and sleeps with a Battery Minder hooked up. But I know that the battery would be dead after about 3 weeks of no driving/no charging.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,654 Posts
Did you properly shut off the car when you went away? Several times the following has happened. Wife goes out to start the car, I end up driving. She exits the car with the key she used to start it. I hit the Start button to turn of the car, but it will only shut off the engine and leave it in accessory position....

·
Registered
2017 XT5
200 Posts
I hit the Start button to turn of the car, but it will only shut off the engine and leave it in accessory position....
I don't think the accessory mode lasts more than 15 minutes. The first time I went to a drive-in after buying it, I found that the radio shut off every 15 minutes or so, which was very annoying.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Platinum, 2014 S550
1,654 Posts
I don't think the accessory mode lasts more than 15 minutes. The first time I went to a drive-in after buying it, I found that the radio shut off every 15 minutes or so, which was very annoying.
I haven't tested, but I think it operates differently. If you turn off the car with the key in the car, and not open the door, yes, timer takes over. But, by removing the key, (away from the car) it leaves it in service mode and the car does not turn off... Had a similar issue with my SRX.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
200 Posts
I haven't tested, but I think it operates differently. If you turn off the car with the key in the car, and not open the door, yes, timer takes over. But, by removing the key, (away from the car) it leaves it in service mode and the car does not turn off... Had a similar issue with my SRX.
Thanks for the tip. Next time I'm at the drive-in, I'll drop the fob out the window and see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XT5, 2013 Toyota Avalon Hybrid Limited
31 Posts
My cars only get driven 6,000 to 8,000 miles per year and frequently sit for a week or longer without being driven. I have three Battery Minders that I use for two cars and two tractors. Battery Minders are expensive but they work without damaging the AGM battery like cheaper battery chargers/maintainers without AGM settings can.

The below Battery Minder charges/maintains only AGM batteries. I use it on my XT5.

The below Battery Minder charges/maintains multiple types of batteries. I use it on both my cars an tractors with AGM and Flooded batteries.

I am not associated with Battery Minder and am not promoting their products except to provide information that may be helpful to fellow forum members.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,531 Posts
Look in your owner's manuals - for RAP - Retained Accessory Power - that feature that leaves certain functions and options powered up for 10 or 15 minutes after Key: OFF.

There are many, many options for a "battery minder" or "battery tender". Google one of the terms.

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does your battery charger have a mode for AGM batteries?

The battery in my 2017 XT5 gave the same symptoms after sitting for two weeks. My charger would not fully charge the battery and the start/stop would not work. I bought a new charger that has a switch for AGM. That new charger fully charged the battery in my XT5 and the start/stop worked right away.

If the start/stop does not work, that is a good indicator that the battery is not fully charged which can happen after repeatedly driving short trips.
No, The battery charger is probably 40 years old. What is an AGM battery?

·
Registered
2017 XT5, Platinum, Dark Granite Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,527 Posts
No, The battery charger is probably 40 years old. What is an AGM battery?
AGM is Absorbent Gas Mat which does not have electrolyte to food the plates. It is well suited to the XT5 because of the start/stop allowing repeated deeper discharges. An AGM battery can discharge to a lower voltage level than the batteries we are accustomed to in our cars. The charger with an AGM setting can charge beginning at that lower voltage level which is likely the reason your old charger would not charge the AGM.

The XT5 has a sophisticated battery monitoring system which monitors the voltage even when the vehicle is off. The monitor system controls the variable output alternator including suppressing the charging to reduce the load caused by the alternator to reduce fuel consumption.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts