Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2018 XTS Luxury and noticed that in the apps on CUE there is no SMS app. How can I install get it? Through On Star? Thought a customer care number? Thanks

Welcome to the forums! Let's move your question to the correct XTS page. Better chance of getting more and accurate answers. -byrdman

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was just reading the CUE manual for my 2018 ATS Luxury, and it had this to say about downloading Apps:

If equipped, in-vehicle apps are
available for download. Touch the
APPS icon on the Home Page to begin.
Downloading and using apps requires
Internet connectivity and a data plan,
which can be accessed through the
vehicle’s built-in 4G LTE Wi-Fi
hotspot, if equipped, or a compatible
mobile device hotspot. On most
mobile devices, activation of the Wi-Fi
hotspot is in the device’s Settings
menu under Mobile Network Sharing,
Personal Hotspot, Mobile Hotspot,
or similar.
To purchase data for the in-vehicle
Wi-Fi hotspot, if equipped, touch
APPS on the Home Page or contact an
OnStar Advisor. The vehicle must have
active OnStar service and a payment
method on file.
Availability of apps and connectivity
varies by vehicle, conditions, and
location. Data plan rates apply. For
more information, see
my.cadillac.com/learn.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Two days ago, I had my '18 XTS Luxury in the dealership for the 5th time for the CUE (and it's scheduled to go back in next Wed, as the problems continue to come up).

I asked my Service Adviser the same question ... where's the text functionality?

I had been using loaners (XT5 and XT4) for the various times my car has been in the shop (total of 6 times, so far ... and I just bought the car 3/30/19). Once, when driving the XT5, I received a text and there was a notification that came up that asked if I wanted to listen to the text (text-to-speech). I said yes and was given an opportunity to reply. Made me think that this functionality should be present in my XTS.

My Service Adviser researched it and said she thought it should show up, but when we got in the car and started playing around with the settings, there were no settings for text/SMS available in the CUE system of my car. My Service Adviser said that, although they look very similar, there are several radios available throughout Cadillac's lineup ... so some cars have that functionality and some don't.

She said in that case, I will have to use Android Auto, since the XTS doesn't seem to have that functionality native to its system. We installed Android Auto on the car and on my (Google) phone (uses Android). It seems to work ... sort of ... but it was horribly delayed (about 30 seconds from verbal command to confirmation by the system that it received the verbal command). You also have to have the phone plugged in at all times, or Android Auto disengages (or at least on my car). I had tried Android Auto before on my XTS and did not like the interface or the fact I have to have the phone plugged in to use it ... so I deleted it.

As an aside, it looks like my CUE system is going to be replaced under warranty, as it's having chronic/recurrent issues.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
From my understanding, CUE 3.0 no longer supports Bluetooth text messages. Bluetooth is for phone calls and music/audio. There may be a downloadable app to make that function but I’m not sure.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The loaners I was using were 2019 models.

The one that had the Bluetooth text message function was an XT5. It was brand new (less than 1K miles) and I only paired my phone to that car. No text messaging apps have ever been added to my phone and I did not have Android Auto on my phone at the time, either ... I had uninstalled Android Auto prior to using the XT5 and had not yet reinstalled it until later.

It caught me off-guard, as I was not expecting the car to read me my messages when they popped up. That was what made me think about whether that functionality exists in my car.

I did not pair my phone to the XT4, so I cannot speak to that car's text message capabilities.

Maybe the function is something not available with the radio in the XTS, but is available with the radio in the XT5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts