Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,814 Posts
One of the frustrations working with the service department at a dealership. The Service Writer will not, or cannot, make any sort of diagnosis. They must leave that to the Technician. The Technician will undoubtedly scan for codes as soon as he gets your car to the service bay. He will not just start tearing your car apart without diagnostic insight to your issue that he will get from a scan tool. The majority of the diagnosis of sensors is done without removing major components. You were correct in asking them to scan for codes or other abnormalities in the electrical system. They should be able to see the state of health of the battery or transient glitches which can cause your operational abnormalities.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
You are likely beyond the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty and may be billed for at least some of this diagnostic work. If it were my car, I would start by replacing the battery which will likely be less costly.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum, Dark Adriatic Blue Metalic, Maple Sugar
341 Posts
2017 Platinum with all optional packages, 45,500 miles, purchased 8/1/2016.

I get a warning message “service driver assist system” about one out of three times when I start the car and the warning stays on unless I dismiss it, or turn off the engine. Often the warning is gone when I restart the car.

When the warning is on, the driver assist icon light, on the infotainment screen, is out. And won’t come on with a tap like it use to. I believe some of the driver assist features aren’t working.

When I start the car, there’s no warning message, and the driver assist icon light is lit. And I can turn it off and back on with a tap on the icon. When the light is on, there’s no warning message, and all features seem to be working. However, when I slow the car down to 6 mph, I get one chime. When I put the car in reverse, I get one or two chimes. These chimes never happened before.

I dread taking it to the dealer.

Any ideas on what’s causing my problem?
You are likely beyond the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty and may be billed for at least some of this diagnostic work. If it were my car, I would start by replacing the battery which will likely be less costly.
I had the battery replaced yesterday with a Delco AGM battery ($228) at a garage I have dealt with in the past, and trust.

The chimes I was getting, when I didn’t have the warning message, has stopped. I haven’t received a warning message yet, but I think it’s too early to say that issue has been resolved, although I’m optimistic it has.

Thank you nj and all for your help.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
7 Posts
I recently experienced the "Service Brake Assist" message. I have not experienced it enough to be able to characterize the conditions at the time of the occurrence. I did check my vehicle for error codes and observed the following codes:
1.Body Control Module Codes
a. B3109 Keyless entry transmitter low battery
b. U0139 Lost Communication with Suspension Control Module 'B'
2. Anti-Lock Brake System Code
a. Device Power #1 (low current #1) circuit malfunction
3. Human-Machine interface Module Code
a. B1325 Status. HISTORY- Device power #1 (low current # 1 circuit malfunction1)​

If anyone has experienced these codes in conjunction with the "Service Brake Assist" message or without the message, please identify how the issue was resolved.

I have changed the battery in my key fob (Code B3109).

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Nice detective work documenting all of the error codes. Your 2017 likely needs a new AGM battery. The codes all point to electrical issues.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
7 Posts
Nice detective work documenting all of the error codes. Your 2017 likely needs a new AGM battery. The codes all point to electrical issues.
I had reached that conclusion as well. I am looking at the Duralast Platinum AGM battery from Autozone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had similar "random" warning messages/chimes on auto stop/start with my 2017 XT5. Took it to the dealer when on one particular start after a lengthy red light in below freezing temperatures, the entire dash went blank. Luckily the car started and the dash came back on like it had just been turned on. Drove it straight to the dealer and they immediately confirmed my diagnosis that the battery needed replaced ASAP. Haven't had an error code or dash blank out since.

I think that the self diagnostics get wonky when the auto start draws the battery down below a certain level and it causes innacurate reporting of problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2017 XT5 Premium Luxury. GM battery went bad after 12 months and 2 weeks.

The auto stop hasn't been functioning for a few weeks and then I received the attached error code. I have only owned the car for a few months (and I don't drive it much), so this behavior wasn't overly noticeable. The SUV also started to hesitate in turns...I'd press the gas and a second or two later the car would respond. I get my new battery installed on Monday...there was a large backorder on the batteries (says my Cadillac dealership).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
2017 XT5 Premium Luxury. GM battery went bad after 12 months and 2 weeks.

The auto stop hasn't been functioning for a few weeks and then I received the attached error code. I have only owned the car for a few months (and I don't drive it much), so this behavior wasn't overly noticeable. The SUV also started to hesitate in turns...I'd press the gas and a second or two later the car would respond. I get my new battery installed on Monday...there was a large backorder on the batteries (says my Cadillac dealership).
How far had you driven when the picture was taken. Your coolant temperature is very low, especially if you have driven more than a couple of miles. You may have a thermostat or other cooling system issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good catch! I completely missed that... I took the picture and ran into an appointment.

I have only driven about 1000 miles in 3 months (usually 5 to 10 miles at a time). I took it to the dealership for the service maintenance and a diagnostic test...they still have the car because the battery was on backorder. I will have them check this tomorrow. Thank you!

My battery was 2 weeks out of warranty...this is my first Cadillac (converted from Lexus). Had the dealership honored the battery exchange they would have had a loyal customer for life. I think the replacement is like $400...not a huge amount of money, but it would have made me feel great about my purchase and the company.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Had the dealership honored the battery exchange they would have had a loyal customer for life.
Dealerships must obtain approval for warranty replacement from Cadillac or manufacturer of the component before making an adjustment to the amount charged a customer. The Service Department is a separate profit center from the Sales Department which is most interested in you returning in the future.

You said your GM battery is failing after 12 months. Was the battery changed at that time, or is that when you purchased the vehicle with the original battery under the hood?

Your 2017 is 4 years old and seems to be the age at which batteries are coming to the end of their life, especially with all of the electronics on your Cadillac which monitors the state of health of you battery. Your short trips with a lot of sitting between those trips is very hard on a battery. If your car has started each time you wanted to use it, your battery has given you good service.

If you find you have a cooling system issue, it is probably a good idea to flush and replace your coolant because you have DexCool which is a 5 year coolant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I completely understand. I bought the card at the end of September (2020) and the previous owner replaced the battery in December (2019). I live in Arizona, so batteries only last 2 to 3 years.

Regarding the coolant system... Would that be something they suggest as part of their service recommendations? I usually do exactly as the recommendations state... But this is great advice of I find an issue with the coolant system. Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Premium Luxury
10 Posts
Thanks guys, including the “likes”. I’ll get a new AGM battery.

Yesterday, when the warning message came on, I was near the dealership. So I drove the car to them, left it running, and ask them if they would check the codes. The service writer said that wouldn’t accomplish anything, they would need to make an appointment for me to bring the car in, leave it, and they would remove the bumper and inspect the sensors.

I just didn’t feel comfortable with that.
Had new battery and still have problem. Set at least 15 codes. Here is the list from the Cadillac dealer for today.
This has been happening since we bought this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok, Like the suggestion of car trim level.
2017 XT5 AWD Luxury.
I had the original battery; got continual messages from message center; and after the battery completely died I had it replaced. The start/stop messages did not reappear. The messages I would get for stability assist, brake assist, and driver assist have not reappeared. I have not had any more service transmission messages either. Knock on wood that this has eliminated the issue. I also have previous posts on this thread. I agree with Paul Rider- when the battery is dead the key fob does not work! I had to call OnStar to get an open/unlock assist!

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Premium Luxury
10 Posts
Ok, Like the suggestion of car trim level.
2017 XT5 AWD Luxury.
I had the original battery; got continual messages from message center; and after the battery completely died I had it replaced. The start/stop messages did not reappear. The messages I would get for stability assist, brake assist, and driver assist have not reappeared. I have not had any more service transmission messages either. Knock on wood that this has eliminated the issue. I also have previous posts on this thread. I agree with Paul Rider- when the battery is dead the key fob does not work! I had to call OnStar to get an open/unlock assist!
I am past that. I have a new battery (2). Battery had never went dead. Is there an issue with Delco batteries?

Also new Tstat and housing.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
7 Posts
Is the battery an AGM (absorbed glass-mat)? I experienced the Brake Assist error message. My battery was checked Autozone ( approximately 11 VDC) and I was told it was good. I did some research on the internet and in this forum and finally came to the conclusion that replacing the battery was the best course of action. Due to the constant start and stops and the constant electronic monitoring, the AGM battery is the only battery that can provide the capability that can deliver the power to meet the vehicle's requirements. I have not had any additional error messages. I purchase my vehicle with over78K miles (2017 XT5 Premium Luxury). I would recommend that you purchase the blue driver obd scanner. It reads "all" codes and provides a comprehensive list of possible issues. In addition, the tool identifies actions taken by other drivers to correct the issue. It is approximately $100.00, but I think it is worth it. .

·
Registered
2017 XT5
943 Posts
The Blue Driver ODBII scan tool does not appear to read anything beyond generic OBDII engine codes for the XT5. You can enter your car's make and model on their website to find what it does. On the XT5, it claims support for "Read/Clear Check Engine Codes, Read/Clear Enhanced Codes (e.g. ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc.) - See Exceptions Above, Repair Reports (Vehicles sold in North America), Smog Check, MIL Status, Freeze Frame, Mode 6, Live Data". For the exceptions, it states, "Airbag, TPMS, and Suspension diagnostics not supported."

If you want a scan tool, I suggest you get an Autel or Foxwell. The Autel DiagLink and Foxwell N510 work with one chosen vehicle make, or you can get something like the Autel MD808 which works with "all" makes. Both of these support all systems, and can do things like EPB calibration.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Premium Luxury
10 Posts
Is the battery an AGM (absorbed glass-mat)? I experienced the Brake Assist error message. My battery was checked Autozone ( approximately 11 VDC) and I was told it was good. I did some research on the internet and in this forum and finally came to the conclusion that replacing the battery was the best course of action. Due to the constant start and stops and the constant electronic monitoring, the AGM battery is the only battery that can provide the capability that can deliver the power to meet the vehicle's requirements. I have not had any additional error messages. I purchase my vehicle with over78K miles (2017 XT5 Premium Luxury). I would recommend that you purchase the blue driver obd scanner. It reads "all" codes and provides a comprehensive list of possible issues. In addition, the tool identifies actions taken by other drivers to correct the issue. It is approximately $100.00, but I think it is worth it. .
Yes it is and were installed by the Cadillac dealership. Battery tested to 99% yesterday at battery shop. The scan was performed at the dealership as the car is Cadillac certified.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts