Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted a couple months ago about Service Stability System and Check Engine Light.
Dealer stated it coded needing a new thermostat. That was replaced and problem seemed to go away.
Now I'm constantly getting service/warning messages for brake assist, driver assist, and stability assist. These seem to occur when at a stop light and I remove my foot from the brake or sitting at light or stop sign and a larger vehicle passes by me and my car shakes. The messages come on and then disappear within seconds. Today it happened 5 times. Very frustrating. I don't seen any posts like this so looking for anyone else that has had the issue.
Always loved my Cadillacs, but this is very frustrating and making me want to go to a different vehicle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Posted a couple months ago about Service Stability System and Check Engine Light.
Dealer stated it coded needing a new thermostat. That was replaced and problem seemed to go away.
Now I'm constantly getting service/warning messages for brake assist, driver assist, and stability assist. These seem to occur when at a stop light and I remove my foot from the brake or sitting at light or stop sign and a larger vehicle passes by me and my car shakes. The messages come on and then disappear within seconds. Today it happened 5 times. Very frustrating. I don't seen any posts like this so looking for anyone else that has had the issue.
Always loved my Cadillacs, but this is very frustrating and making me want to go to a different vehicle.
There is a separate discussion thread on this same topic which seems to have a resolution. Here's the link to the discussion thread:

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,812 Posts
There is a separate discussion thread on this same topic which seems to have a resolution. Here's the link to the discussion thread:
A quick jump to the solution at the end of the thread is a new battery solved the issue.

The XT5's monitor the battery condition while the vehicle is running and while it is sitting. The AGM battery must have a healthy "state of charge" while operating and "state of health" while sitting.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A quick jump to the solution at the end of the thread is a new battery solved the issue.

The XT5's monitor the battery condition while the vehicle is running and while it is sitting. The AGM battery must have a healthy "state of charge" while operating and "state of health" while sitting.
Is there a way to check the battery condition / charge level through the DIC?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
You can only see the battery voltage which fluctuates while driving because the alternator output is controlled by the ECM and stops charging periodically to lessen the load on the engine and therefore save fuel.

Usually, if start/stop is working, the battery is good. However, there seems to be a number of complaints about erratic warning messages when the battery is a few years old. A lot of the complaints come from 2017's, although I do recall 2018's acting up as well.

It would be helpful if members of the Forum would include the year and trim level of their vehicles. We could probably get a better idea of patterns.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,730 Posts
It would be helpful if members of the Forum would include the year and trim level of their vehicles. We could probably get a better idea of patterns.
excellent advice. you have no idea how frustrating it is for the mods trying to answer and/or move threads when we have no idea what year/model/engine/trim is in question.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can only see the battery voltage which fluctuates while driving because the alternator output is controlled by the ECM and stops charging periodically to lessen the load on the engine and therefore save fuel.

Usually, if start/stop is working, the battery is good. However, there seems to be a number of complaints about erratic warning messages when the battery is a few years old. A lot of the complaints come from 2017's, although I do recall 2018's acting up as well.

2017 Cadillac XT5 Platinum AWD
Thanks.

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Platinum, Dark Adriatic Blue Metalic, Maple Sugar
340 Posts
2017 Platinum with all optional packages, 45,500 miles, purchased 8/1/2016.

I get a warning message “service driver assist system” about one out of three times when I start the car and the warning stays on unless I dismiss it, or turn off the engine. Often the warning is gone when I restart the car.

When the warning is on, the driver assist icon light, on the infotainment screen, is out. And won’t come on with a tap like it use to. I believe some of the driver assist features aren’t working.

When I start the car, there’s no warning message, and the driver assist icon light is lit. And I can turn it off and back on with a tap on the icon. When the light is on, there’s no warning message, and all features seem to be working. However, when I slow the car down to 6 mph, I get one chime. When I put the car in reverse, I get one or two chimes. These chimes never happened before.

I dread taking it to the dealer.

Any ideas on what’s causing my problem?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Any ideas on what’s causing my problem?
You did not mention your battery age. Is it the original?

Does your start/stop work? If not, that is likely confirmation your battery is not in the best of health.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You did not mention your battery age. Is it the original?

Does your start/stop work? If not, that is likely confirmation your battery is not in the best of health.
Battery is original.

The start stop works when I don’t have the warning message. I’m not sure if it works when I have the warning message. I think it doesn’t, but I’ll have to confirm that.

·
Registered
2018 XT5
53 Posts
There are so many issues, with numerous make/model vehicles, that seem to be caused be weak/bad batteries that for years I have been replacing batteries in all of my vehicles no later than every 4 years.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
All of the electronics in today's vehicles depend on stable controlled discharge batteries. When the voltages are outside tight parameters with discharge rates that must stay within rigid specification else safety systems are disabled and warning lights displayed. In years past, if the car started, even with reduced cranking velocity, we were good to go and could postpone changing that tired battery. We must now be more vigilant about freshening the battery after a few years. We never notice reduced cranking reserve because the electronics start our engines so quickly, we are lulled into false dependence on batteries that are slowly delivering less than optimal electrical reserves.

·
Registered
340 Posts
In years past, if the car started, even with reduced cranking velocity, we were good to go and could postpone changing that tired battery.
Ahhh, the good old days.... in some respect. 😊

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,730 Posts
Why not make it a required field when a member joins.
good idea. However, the mods can't change code or programming. That's up to the developer/admins. we send suggestions and sometimes they get acted on, sometimes not.

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
2,025 Posts
good idea. However, the mods can't change code or programming. That's up to the developer/admins. we send suggestions and sometimes they get acted on, sometimes not.
It would be good if they did...if only to make your job easier, but also for other members here it is nice to know what vehicle model/year someone is asking a question about.

·
Registered
340 Posts
After about 10 trips with the car, the warning message came on again.

The auto start/stop works when I have no warning message. It does not work when I have the warning message “service driver assist system“.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
After about 10 trips with the car, the warning message came on again.

The auto start/stop works when I have no warning message. It does not work when I have the warning message “service driver assist system“.
You purchased the car nearly 4 1/2 years ago with this same battery. It was likely built a few months before that.

In my opinion, a new AGM battery will likely resolve your issues.

·
Registered
2010 CTS Sedan-(retired): 2017 XT5, Fwd, Luxury(upgraded), Radiant Silver
75 Posts
I agree ...... my Jan 2017 needed a new battery this fall. I had only a few problems with the parking break warning light but no other problems until it went dead. Completely dead.... couldn't even open the door with the fob.

·
Registered
340 Posts
You purchased the car nearly 4 1/2 years ago with this same battery. It was likely built a few months before that.

In my opinion, a new AGM battery will likely resolve your issues.
Thanks guys, including the “likes”. I’ll get a new AGM battery.

Yesterday, when the warning message came on, I was near the dealership. So I drove the car to them, left it running, and ask them if they would check the codes. The service writer said that wouldn’t accomplish anything, they would need to make an appointment for me to bring the car in, leave it, and they would remove the bumper and inspect the sensors.

I just didn’t feel comfortable with that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts