Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently we were riding in our 2017 XT5 and heard the noise from where the sunroof had apparently partially opened and was sucking the closed moon roof through the opening where the sunroof was open. I was able to close the sunroof but the moon roof opened and will only go forwards and backwards a couple inches. The sunroof is working properly now... but not the moon roof. Any ideas how to calibrate?

·
Registered
2006, 2014 CTS, Currently 2018 XT5
395 Posts
HUH? I'm sorry but I'm lost. I don't understand how the opening of the sunroof can "suck" the moonroof out of the opening.
Do you consider the fixed (non-movable) glass panel to be the "moonroof" and the movable panel to be the "sunroof?
I can see the possibility of the Sunshade being sucked out but not the glass panel. On my '18 XT5 when the shade is in the closed position, and I open the sunroof the shade automatically retracks to the open position.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes...the inside lining (moon roof) is what is malfunctioning. The sun roof is opening properly now after opening on it's own to create this current problem, but the interior roof did not open at all. I reviewed (youtube) was to reset sunroof and that worked for the sunroof only... the inside part will move a couple inches and immediately returns to wide open position. Since we live in Florida, I would love to be able to close the inside roof to keep the heat out. I am thankful the sunroof did finally reset (after holding sunroof close button until sunroof opened all the way up and then closed before releasing button)... now I need to figure out how to sync inside roof to respond properly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HUH? I'm sorry but I'm lost. I don't understand how the opening of the sunroof can "suck" the moonroof out of the opening.
Do you consider the fixed (non-movable) glass panel to be the "moonroof" and the movable panel to be the "sunroof?
I can see the possibility of the Sunshade being sucked out but not the glass panel. On my '18 XT5 when the shade is in the closed position, and I open the sunroof the shade automatically retracks to the open position.
the glass panel is the sunroof and I was considering the sunshade to be the moonroof... but that is what happened.. we left our house about 5 am and entered a highway and the sunshade was being sucked through the sunroof opening though we did not open it. And that is how it usually operates: sunshade opens when sunroof is open... this is the first incident with the sunroof.

·
Super Moderator
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
3,763 Posts
Best to have correct terminology. The whole glass portion is called the sunroof which is some model years is also call the Ultraview. Moonroof I think is past terminology, but I guess some still might use it. The retracting cloth portion under the glass is the sunshade. Hope you are able to get the issue resolved.

·
Registered
2006, 2014 CTS, Currently 2018 XT5
395 Posts
Best to have correct terminology. The whole glass portion is called the sunroof which is some model years is also call the Ultraview. Moonroof I think is past terminology, but I guess some still might use it. The retracting cloth portion under the glass is the sunshade. Hope you are able to get the issue resolved.
The thought occurred to me that some people may call it a sunroof if it's daytime and a moonroof if it's nighttime. So I guess that makes the shade ether a sunshade or a moon shade. Wasn't there a song years ago that had "moon shade" in the lyrics? Oh, I remember now, It was "moon shadow" not moon shade.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,484 Posts
My understanding was a sunroof was an openable glass panel, usually with a separate internal openable shade panel. A moonroof is a opaque (solid) openable panel. Like a sunroof but not glass, and usually has a integrated interior finish/fabric panel not separate from the operable panel.

But apparently web searching the terms, I've got it exactly backwards. So GM is using the term sunroof on a glass panel which has traditionally been called a moonroof. A true sunroof is an operable opaque panel.

Learn something new each day!

@Richard427 ... Moonshadow ... Cat Stevens.

Max

·
Registered
18 CTS 3.6 AWD / 21 XT5 Prem Lux
923 Posts
Moonroof / Sunroof depends who's talking. The old school sunroof that was hard removable panels doesn't exist on many things these days, so whatever you call it typically it's glass and opens and closes these days. What do they call the ones on electric cars that don't open? Skylights? IDK? But for sure the sunshade is not a moonroof.

Something in the track or piece of shade is hitting and causing the motor to reverse to open,..
Likely, feel along the rails and see if anything is blocking it. If you feel nothing can you gently apply some pulling pressure with your hand to the shade while holding the close button and see if that helps it out? Don't pull hard but a little tension. Maybe slightly miss aligned if not blocked and triggering the safety feature to back it up again. and needs a bit of coaxing? I'm still struggling to picture the shade being sucked up, seems to me my moon/sun roof won't open unless the shade is back past the opening.

I'll add, not sure if it's the exact right stuff or not, but I had a similar problem with my 08 SRX, but it was with the moving glass not the shade. But it would often shake and shimmy and then retract again when trying to close it. I used a little bit, don't need a lot, of white grease in the track and then the roof would close smoothly again. Is white grease the right thing to use, not sure, worked for me. Just don't use lots cause it gobs up and you don't want to get it on your shade or it will stain it.

·
Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,484 Posts
I wonder if the "suction" effect poster indicated happened caused part of the sunshade to come out of the track and now cannot move. Not sure how or why the glass panel managed to (partially) open while the shade was closed creating the suction in the first place though.

Max

·
Registered
XT5 Platinum Crystal White/Maple Sugar
43 Posts
Moonroof / Sunroof depends who's talking. The old school sunroof that was hard removable panels doesn't exist on many things these days, so whatever you call it typically it's glass and opens and closes these days. What do they call the ones on electric cars that don't open? Skylights? IDK? But for sure the sunshade is not a moonroof.

Likely, feel along the rails and see if anything is blocking it. If you feel nothing can you gently apply some pulling pressure with your hand to the shade while holding the close button and see if that helps it out? Don't pull hard but a little tension. Maybe slightly miss aligned if not blocked and triggering the safety feature to back it up again. and needs a bit of coaxing? I'm still struggling to picture the shade being sucked up, seems to me my moon/sun roof won't open unless the shade is back past the opening.

I'll add, not sure if it's the exact right stuff or not, but I had a similar problem with my 08 SRX, but it was with the moving glass not the shade. But it would often shake and shimmy and then retract again when trying to close it. I used a little bit, don't need a lot, of white grease in the track and then the roof would close smoothly again. Is white grease the right thing to use, not sure, worked for me. Just don't use lots cause it gobs up and you don't want to get it on your shade or it will stain it.
Yeah, it's difficult without seeing it, I know the lift gate is pretty sensitive on it reversing as it is the most likely to hit someone...:oops:

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Premium Luxury
239 Posts
IMHO, if it's a sliding glass panel it's a moonroof. Before they started using glass and the sliding part was steel, it was called a sunroof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts