Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the car for 3 years and in the last two months the key fob started to act up, i.e., not working. I've changed the batteries and the dealer replaced the remote receiver in the door lock but this hasn't helped. The odd thing is that after driving a bit with the fob in the fob key well, it'll work for the rest of the day if I use the car.

But if I leave the car sitting for 24 hours, the fob will not work. Can anyone give me a clue as to what the problem is?

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury 2014 SRX.... Previously owned 1995 ElDorado, 2000 STS, 2005 CTS and 2006 SRX
62 Posts
I've had the car for 3 years and in the last two months the key fob started to act up, i.e., not working. I've changed the batteries and the dealer replaced the remote receiver in the door lock but this hasn't helped. The odd thing is that after driving a bit with the fob in the fob key well, it'll work for the rest of the day if I use the car.

But if I leave the car sitting for 24 hours, the fob will not work. Can anyone give me a clue as to what the problem is?
If you have access to a voltmeter, measure the battery voltage after the car has been setting for 24 hours. If it less than 11.8 volts, the battery is not retaining a charge. Any reading less than 11.5 volts and the electronics will work very erratically! Batteries should last 4 or 5 years, but many do not!

·
Registered
2017 XT5
260 Posts
If you have access to a voltmeter, measure the battery voltage after the car has been setting for 24 hours.
If not, could the OP measure it immediately after start using the DIC? Or would that reading quickly be off from what it was before starting?

·
Registered
2017 XT5 Luxury 2014 SRX.... Previously owned 1995 ElDorado, 2000 STS, 2005 CTS and 2006 SRX
62 Posts
If not, could the OP measure it immediately after start using the DIC? Or would that reading quickly be off from what it was before starting?
It would be way off, UNLESS the alternator is not functioning properly.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,758 Posts

If you and the dealer changed the Battery, I would put my money on its a bad / Broken connection in the remote. The reason it works when you put it in the pocket is I believe it charges a capacitor, (like a wireless charger) It will not hold a charge for long, the fob is designed this way so in an emergency (Dead Battery) the Fob will allow you to start the car.

Note on the Dealer, If other Fobs were tested / working, the part he changed was a waste of time. I bet its the Remote. You can get Additional / or Replacements online fairly reasonable and can program yourself.

Here is the link...

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
848 Posts
FYI there are a lot of people who've had issues with the online purchased remotes not functioning or not being able to be paired with the cars. Be weary of where you get them from.

Also, if you simply add a new remote, it will be programmed as #3 and cannot be tied into the auto memory functions (seats & mirror preferences) BTW unless you have a dealer strip the old remotes from memory and fully new reprogram the old working one and the new one you buy as #1 and #2.

Max

·
Registered
2017 XT5
912 Posts
My vehicle and fob batteries are fine, but the fob I carry will often quite working like this. My wife's fob always works. I suspect it's a poor quality circuit board in the fob itself.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FYI there are a lot of people who've had issues with the online purchased remotes not functioning or not being able to be paired with the cars. Be weary of where you get them from.

Also, if you simply add a new remote, it will be programmed as #3 and cannot be tied into the auto memory functions (seats & mirror preferences) BTW unless you have a dealer strip the old remotes from memory and fully new reprogram the old working one and the new one you buy as #1 and #2.

Max
Agreed. The link that Nice Ride provided above takes you to a site that sells OEM remotes. I purchased a fob there and it has been flawless. I kind of recall that thier reviews were also very good, for whatever value that has today.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those of you who voted for the fob win. Dealer replaced both fobs under warranty today. Hopefully that fixes the issue once and for all. Thanks to all who took time to comment.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,758 Posts

Max
I have used this company and they are reputable. You are correct in adding the 3rd remote, however, he can just remove remote #2 and replace with the new one. He would just need to transfer over his Door Key and if he wants, get the new one cut locally.

I have 3 Keys. I wiped all the setting and re-learned all 3 following the OM. Works well except that as you said, I cannot save settings for key #3.... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Postscript: The drivers door is working with the keyfob but the passenger door is not. If you try to enter the passenger door first. it creates a problem with the drivers side door and the remote is not detected when you try to start the car.

As of today I'm no longer a Cadillac owner.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Postscript: The drivers door is working with the keyfob but the passenger door is not. If you try to enter the passenger door first. it creates a problem with the drivers side door and the remote is not detected when you try to start the car.

As of today I'm no longer a Cadillac owner.
You sold the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Traded the car (with disclosure of the issue). Car is still under warranty and it does sound like a battery issue at this point, as others have suggested.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts