Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS-V Sedan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seen a few threads asking tire questions on here but haven't seen anything that quite fits the question.
Recently picked up a 2017 ATS-V and it came with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 255/35 and 275/35. They are great when it's dry out but we live in Washington and dry days aren't common. More often than not the ground is wet. This car won't ever touch snow, but we're in need of some tires that will handle the rain and colder temperatures better than the PSS's on it now.

I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the same sizes as above, does anyone here have these on their V? I've seen some complaints about the road noise with them but that's about it.

-Logan

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
324 Posts
The stock size for the front is 255/35-18. GM recommends a 235/40 for snow tires for the front so maybe that's why you have that size. I would use the stock size unless you have a specific reason for not doing so.

I think I'm the only one here bitching about noise. I have no issue with the A/S3+ other than a "singing" that occurs between roughly 75-80mph. I believe it's due to interaction with the front magnetorheologic shocks but can't prove it. From a performance and durability standpoint, I'm fine with them. Using any other tire the issue goes away (there's tire noise but not the "singing"). If my highway travel kept me away from that speed, I prolly never would have noticed. The fix, I guess, is top just go faster... :)

·
Registered
Still Stock 2017 ATS-V 6MT CWT Sedan, Tuned 2016 Explorer TT
620 Posts
I have Pilot Sport A/S 3 plus as my winter set. I am in the Chicago area. These tires have better grip than my summer super sports even in dry, warm conditions, let alone in the wet and not even mentioning snow. They will overheat at a track day, but I don't use them for that.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,815 Posts
I had AS3 on my regular CTS wagon and loved them. I used three sets.

·
Registered
16' ATS-V
5 Posts
I had great experience with continental's extreme contact DWS tires when I had them on my Mitsubishi Evo X. Excellent wet weather performance and had no problems with light snow, although I have to give some credit to the Evo's AWD system. They were the quietest tires I've ever used, too. Definitely would consider them again if I had to daily my ATS-V.

The only thing I didn't like about them was the turn-in response. It was not as sharp as the various high performance summer tires I tracked the Evo with, which is to be expected for A/S tires.

·
Registered
'16 ATS-V 6M Sedan
142 Posts
My car had AS 3's on it when I bought it. I hated them. They were noisy. The had very good grip in the corners but spun pretty often on hard acceleration. I wound up with a set of snows and a set of Firestone Indy 500's for the summer. The Indy 500's are a more grippy tire, but the on center feeling has a little weird loose feeling. They do seem to hold up well.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS-V Sedan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stock size for the front is 255/35-18. GM recommends a 235/40 for snow tires for the front so maybe that's why you have that size. I would use the stock size unless you have a specific reason for not doing so.

I think I'm the only one here bitching about noise. I have no issue with the A/S3+ other than a "singing" that occurs between roughly 75-80mph. I believe it's due to interaction with the front magnetorheologic shocks but can't prove it. From a performance and durability standpoint, I'm fine with them. Using any other tire the issue goes away (there's tire noise but not the "singing"). If my highway travel kept me away from that speed, I prolly never would have noticed. The fix, I guess, is top just go faster... :)
Oh Whoops! The 235 wide for the front was a typo, it does have the stock 255 size fronts. Thanks for catching that.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,699 Posts
For rain you won't get a better tire than the PS4. I've tried all of them over the years and the PS4 tires are in a class of their own on wet and top of the class in dry.

My previous favorite wet was the Conti DW replaced by the Extreme Sports. Best rain tires available till the PS4s came out.

·
Registered
ATS-V
688 Posts
Seen a few threads asking tire questions on here but haven't seen anything that quite fits the question.
Recently picked up a 2017 ATS-V and it came with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 255/35 and 275/35. They are great when it's dry out but we live in Washington and dry days aren't common. More often than not the ground is wet. This car won't ever touch snow, but we're in need of some tires that will handle the rain and colder temperatures better than the PSS's on it now.

I've been looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in the same sizes as above, does anyone here have these on their V? I've seen some complaints about the road noise with them but that's about it.

-Logan
If it's any consolation to you, I'm in Seattle and have been running Conti Extreme Contact Sport "summer only" tires for over a year. While I certainly haven't taken the car out in near freezing, wet conditions, I've had no issues with traction while driving normally. They've been great in the rain. Before that I ran PSSs up here. Yes, you have to be careful when it's wet, but I think that would be the case even if you had all season tires. Either way, it all comes down to your comfort level and the level of risk you are willing to assume, which is as subjective as it could be. Just wanted to point out that both the PSSs and Contis have performed well for me in the wet, all the way down to 38 degree rainy days. There is a chance that those tires might not be as risky as you think up here.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
633 Posts
PS4s (Pilot Sport 4S) 265/35/18 & 285/35/18 for Summer. I'm using Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D 255/40/18 for Dec-Mar in Northern VA.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Just a correction on terminology because someone who doesn't know better may get confused. The PSS (Pilot Super Sport) are what was on our cars originally however it was not the commercial version. The PSS tires made for our car had a different compound which was actually better than the standard version PSS. This version is what lead to the PS4 (Pilot Sport 4).

The Pilot Sport 4 is the next level in technology over the ATS-V version of the Pilot Super Sport. When I switched to the PS4 tire I thought something was wrong with the car because it was noticeably harder to break the rear end loose. The biggest difference is in the rain. The car doesn't get thrown around as much by large puddles and wet braking is remarkably improved.

The closest tire to these are the Conti Extreme Contact Sports. I had their predecessor (DW) and they were excellent in the rain however on dry they performed well but there was noticeable flex in the tires. Turn ins were not as sharp and the tire didn't communicate as well. That was due to those large treads with cavernous gaps between them.

It's interesting because the Michelins went more toward the Conti's when they made the PS4 by adding better wet traction and removing some of the harshness and road noise.
On the other hand, Conti went more toward the PSS tire by adding more rigidity in the tread and sidewall and improving dry responsiveness.

In seems in test the PS4 tires won that battle but if you're not an aggressive driver and only occasionally get on it I think for the money the Conti ECS tires will serve you well. I you wan the tire that will allow you to get every bit of what this car can give you in a street tire the Mich PS4 is by far the best, IMO.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V, 1969 Cougar XR7 Convertible, 1970 GTO, 1970 Torino GT, 2006 XLR
160 Posts
I have a late year 2016 V that came with summer tires. I changed them out to Michelin PSS A/S3+. The performance is great, but the noise is horrible. The noise at any speed above 35 mph is incredibly annoying. I would not use them again. Probably going to try the Continental Extreme Sport DWS. In my opinion, it would be hard to find a tire that is more noisy than the A/S3+

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I would always recommend that unless you know you havd to drive below freezing or in the snow to stay away from all weather tires. All weathers will typically be noisier and they don't handle rain so well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts