Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,990 Posts
Cadillac provides a 6 year/70K powertrain warranty but that is void if the engine has been significantly modified and that includes reprogramming the ECM which is often needed when the intake is significantly modified. Make sure whether the warranty is valid if that is of concern to you.

Rodger

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is great information and thank you for bringing that to my attention. With those 2 mods it could hold me from the factory warranty. So that is something to think about. . I had a independent mechanic look at it and gave it a go. I am stepping in a new world cause I had a Tahoe for 20 years. Just from my heavy research I seen the filter and throttle body but that is as far as I could get.

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,607 Posts
Verify that the CUE system works.

Car comes with Run Flat tires and no spare. Verify the tires, RF or not, so you are aware.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really did not play with the cue sytem. I was too busy listening for unique noise. Thanks for the tip. Is that does not work well should I run away? I am sure that is a expensive part

·
Registered
69 Posts
With a oil catch can, TB mod, charge pipes, intake mod, and a missing turbo heat shield I'd say it's safe to say this car was "messed with" , probably tuned, and is likely to get warranty repairs denied if you went to a shop.

·
Registered
2013 Silver ATS, 2016 Escalade
17 Posts
It looks like it has a catch can on it as well, which is typically good because it keeps the oil out of the Turbo. One thing to note about the RF (Run Flats), not a deal breaker at all unless you plan to take long trips and don't want to be caught on the highway without a spare tire. As long as they have the proper size times on the car it should be fine, RF are not as soft and quiet as regular tires . . . i don't have RF's i have michelin that are non-RF.

Also check to see if the rear diff has been serviced, this typically goes bad on ATS and CTS - mine went out at 50k and its 3k cost with no warranty. The dealer should be able to tell you if it's been serviced.

·
Registered
2013 Silver ATS, 2016 Escalade
17 Posts
With a oil catch can, TB mod, charge pipes, intake mod, and a missing turbo heat shield I'd say it's safe to say this car was "messed with" , probably tuned, and is likely to get warranty repairs denied if you went to a shop.

Great catch Maven about the Turbo heat shield, i agree with your assessment . . .

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,145 Posts
Can the owner take it back to stock? Does he/she have the OEM throttle, air box, PCM, and (probably) downpipe?

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,666 Posts
Depending on when it was originally sold you may or may not have part of the factory warranty remaining (unlikely much left but dealer could tell you). Engine modifications don't void the complete warranty so for example if the CUE fails they don't deny the repair because you have an aftermarket air intake. The mod has to be at least related to the failure.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,990 Posts
Even if taken back to stock, depending upon the generation of ECM used for that engine it will retain fingerprints from being flashed. Any major in-warranty engine repair will require the dealer to submit ECM data before GM will approve the work. Unless you want a modified car that has modifications you were planning to install, I would stay well away from any significantly modified vehicle-especially one that should still be in powertrain warranty.

Rodger

Reactions: RonBaker

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow I am glad I got on this forum. All of this information is great. The car is at a Honda dealership so there is no way it would be able to put back on original parts. As for the rear diff , I looked at the carfax and it does not have anything about any marjor service. Just the typical service check and oil change stuff.

again I can’t thank everyone enough for all this great info

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
834 Posts
Agree with the above. Though the PCV side catch can is the one they should have gone with as it catches far more oil, but at least they did something since they removed the factory intake with the oil baffle in it.

My thing is who knows if this person did things properly, the LTG is a good engine but it is somewhat of a temperamental/fragile platform so when doing any serious power modification things absolutely must be done right. For all we know he blew piston(s), put new ones in, and dumped the car. OR...it may be fine. But I wouldn't buy someone else's project, especially since there are so many ATS's out there and they are relatively inexpensive. Unless this one is a manual or something that is hard to find, I'd walk away and find another.

If you do buy it, that intake will cause a CEL to be staring you in the face. Generally unless you do a silicon tube + drop-in high flow filter, you need to tune for an intake to eliminate the CEL. The reason this happens is the MAF on these cars is very picky haha.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
834 Posts
Btw CUE issues have widely been recognized by the aftermarket and there are cheap and easy solutions to fixing it, so I wouldn't let that scare you. With $150 or less and a couple hours of your time you can replace the digitizer (screen) which is what typically fails, and if you use the CUEscreens unit that eliminated the gel layer you should never have a CUE issue again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It doesn't have a current warranty block or branded title.
It has the CUE replaced once already in 7/2018.
It's never had an 8spd fluid flush or any trans work other than a cooler line replacement at 19k miles.
Bumper to bumper til 4/26/21 50,065miles
You'd be at least the 3rd owner.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Maven,

Thanks for checking that for the thread starter. I would still pass on it because the warranty block won't happen with a "tuned" ECM until the snapshot data is checked back at corporate although I imagine most dealership service departments would flag and block it just based upon the obvious modifications if it came in with internal engine issues.

GM started putting a lot more emphasis on catching tunes in the mid 2000 era after warranty costs increased rapidly with the popularity of "tuning" light truck diesels and the lessons learned there were carried over to the gas engine side also. When GM (and other manufacturers) release a revised engine with significantly increased power ratings, it isn't just the tune but also internal parts, often the block, and also the support systems (cooling etc.) that are all upgraded. Making more power is pretty easy, making power that is reliable long term is far more involved.

Rodger

Reactions: Larry81

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The list price is 16,999 and I will continue my search for a basic ATS which falls within 6 year/70K. I do have others to take a look at this week

1 - 20 of 49 Posts