Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 2016 XTS FWD 10000 miles as a CPO. I knew it had a vibration when I test drove it, expected it to be covered under warranty. The vibration starts to be evident around 50 mph, vibrates at the same rate no matter the speed and continues to over the speed limit. Vibration can be felt in the floor, seat and steering wheel. Dealer has checked wheels for trueness, still vibrates, road force balanced the tires, still vibrates, four new tires, still vibrates. Run diagnostics and used a pico meter, still vibrates. Dealer says they all do this and they can't fix it. GM sold 22,000 of these, I can't believe they all do this. Looking for some feedback from anyone with a similar car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I purchased 2016 XTS FWD 10000 miles as a CPO. I knew it had a vibration when I test drove it, expected it to be covered under warranty. The vibration starts to be evident around 50 mph, vibrates at the same rate no matter the speed and continues to over the speed limit. Vibration can be felt in the floor, seat and steering wheel. Dealer has checked wheels for trueness, still vibrates, road force balanced the tires, still vibrates, four new tires, still vibrates. Run diagnostics and used a pico meter, still vibrates. Dealer says they all do this and they can't fix it. GM sold 22,000 of these, I can't believe they all do this. Looking for some feedback from anyone with a similar car.
We had this with a new 15, it needed all new tires as they were all out of round...once they replaced all four tires the vibration was gone. BTW, it was a Goodyear dealer (not Caddy) that found all the tires were out of round and replaced them...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Then don't.
It was the only thing that corrected it for us and the wheels were fine, it was the 4 out of round tires that could not be balanced properly and ours too was at highways speeds only. .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Then don't.
It was the only thing that corrected it for us and the wheels were fine, it was the 4 out of round tires that could not be balanced properly and ours too was at highways speeds only. .
I was referring to the OP. He states that they did install 4 new tires and it didn't help.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was referring to the OP. He states that they did install 4 new tires and it didn't help.
ok.
The GY dealer had to go through several to find ones that were well within spec and they needed to be ordered as they showed us the 3 RSA's in their inventory were all out of round for the XTS. These cars are more sensitive to out of round/balanced tires and they must be well within spec, anything on the fringes can cause issues.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Dealer says they all do this and they can't fix it. GM sold 22,000 of these, I can't believe they all do this. Looking for some feedback from anyone with a similar car.
Call their bluff and ask to drive another XTS on the lot. If it’s smooth, leave your car with the service department so they can have another shot at fixing it. If it “vibrates” and “they all do it”, then maybe your perception of vibration is the problem. Maybe you are just feeling feedback from the road and the car isn’t actually broken. IDK...just throwing out ideas.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I’ve had two XTS’s and the neither one had vibration issues at any speed. Both had the Goodyear RSA tires.
The statement “they all do it it” is ridiculous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cutlass, Thanks for your response. The dealer set up a "test drive" comparing my car to what they called a similar vehicle. Mine, 2016 FWD 12,000 miles, Theirs 2016 AWD 46,000 miles. Not really a fair comparison. Their car vibrated at every speed. I have since driven a 2016 FWD 47,000 miles, did not vibrate.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Cutlass, Thanks for your response. The dealer set up a "test drive" comparing my car to what they called a similar vehicle. Mine, 2016 FWD 12,000 miles, Theirs 2016 AWD 46,000 miles. Not really a fair comparison. Their car vibrated at every speed. I have since driven a 2016 FWD 47,000 miles, did not vibrate.
Awesome, now you know and can insist on more repair attempts. Another thought, try a different dealer and fill them in on what the other dealer did to try to fix it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
See if they would take the wheels and tires off that car and mount them unto your car and see what happens. If you get no vibration there is still possibly a problem with your wheels or tires. If you still get vibration you have something else going on.
I had a 2002 SLS that had the same type of vibration as you described. I do not know how many different tires were tried but to no avail. They also could find nothing wrong with the wheels. The vibration ended when I eventually traded out of the car.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Went to another dealer, they took it for a test drive, they did not want to get involved since I had been working with someone else, even when I offered to pay for service.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Went to another dealer, they took it for a test drive, they did not want to get involved since I had been working with someone else, even when I offered to pay for service.
It sounds like they view this problem as a can of worms involving considerable diagnostic effort, with a fair likelihood that the problem may not be solved. Most dealers and shops want the customer to be pleased with the results, and in this case, if you end up paying for diagnostics and the issue persists, neither you nor the shop will be happy. They may even be inclined to cut you a deal on the diagnostic costs if they are not successful, but that is another possible reason why they may not want to get involved in the first place. They need to focus their efforts on jobs that will result in reasonable profit. All that being said, try a different shop. You'll probably find one eventually that will be willing to give it another shot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Maybe you could take it to a shop that has a dynamometer. That would permit running with the front wheels only while the car is stationary. It may be helpful to know if you still have vibration under those conditions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Goodyear RSA tires have been problematic for years. This is one of many stories that I have heard about people having vibrations with these tires. Put on some Michelins, problem solved.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2015 that vibrates at idle. Sometimes it is worse. I took it to the dealer and got the same story, they consider it normal. I have been thinking of taking it to my friends repair shop and put it on his computer.

·
Registered
713 Posts
If they tried switching the tires and wheel from a car that you did not feel the vibration but still feel it in your car than there is a remote chance that for whatever reason they may not be able to correct this issue.
Things happen but it is to bad that you did not have them to address this issue prior to you purchasing the car.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Maybe the vibration isn't from the wheels at all. Maybe the engine has a balance problem, or a motor mount; something that gets to it's harmonic point and then you feel it. FWIW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts