Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I picked up a '16 ESV Platinum recently, upgrading from an '07 ESV base. A few head scratching decisions (composite, really?) and GM parts-bin pieces aside, I'm in love with it. Only trick is my DRLs, one of my favorite cosmetic features of the car, don't work.

I've read the manual, called the dealership, looked through this forum and others, and can't find anything that matches my scenario. They just straight-up don't work. Not in drive, not in park, not at day, not at night. Turns signals, high/low, cornering lights, all that are fine. No DRLs though, ever.

It's going in to the dealership to have the ACC sensor adjusted ("temporarily unavailable"), but I'd rather not hit them up with extra diagnostics if there's a setting or simple fix I'm missing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Coupe, 2014 ELR, 2018 XT5 AWD
568 Posts
Are you sure they don't work?
If you are in park they are off.
They only turn on when you are in drive or reverse.

Oops, you said you checked in drive.
There is no user control to turn them off.
It might be possible that there is a way they can be turned on and off by a scan tool.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are you sure they don't work?
If you are in park they are off.
They only turn on when you are in drive or reverse.
Great question - thank you! - and frankly one that confuses me a little - as in, maybe I'm thinking of the wrong light.

I've seen the "not in park" answer crop up a lot. I am referring to the vertical strip on the outside of the vehicle, that runs between the upper and lower assembly. I've never seen an Escalade of this era that didn't have those lights on when it was running - in park, at shows, in parking lots, or driving on the streets.

The exterior vertical light I'm referring to doesn't come on regardless of the vehicles drive state. I double-checked tonight by having someone else drive it around while I watched, nada.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Great question - thank you! - and frankly one that confuses me a little - as in, maybe I'm thinking of the wrong light.

View attachment 592956

I've seen the "not in park" answer crop up a lot. I am referring to the vertical strip on the outside of the vehicle, that runs between the upper and lower assembly. I've never seen an Escalade of this era that didn't have those lights on when it was running - in park, at shows, in parking lots, or driving on the streets.

Regardless, the exterior vertical light I'm referring to doesn't come on regardless of the vehicles drive state. I double-checked tonight by having someone else drive it around while I watched, nada.
I corrected my answer, I see you did try in drive.
The off in park thing phased in across GM cars over several years. My 14 ELR turns them off, my 11 CTS didn't. I think the reason to turn them off is fuel economy. It sounds silly but there is a fuel economy mode in the charging system. If the headlights are on they can't go into that mode. I think that's why they turn them off in park.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This service bulletin might be related to your problem.
That's promising - could be my ACC and DRL issues are related. I'll spend some time figuring out what fuses "F10DL, F19DR, F43UA, and/or F46DR" means (with four fuse boxes I'm a little unclear on how to read the names), then get to checking.

Thank you!

·
Registered
568 Posts
That's promising - could be my ACC and DRL issues are related. I'll spend some time figuring out what fuses "F10DL, F19DR, F43UA, and/or F46DR" means (with four fuse boxes I'm a little unclear on how to read the names), then get to checking.

Thank you!
Underhood fuse block
Fuse 122 and 122. Are the headlights
But if they were blown I don't think your regular headlights wouldn work.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade ESV Premium
168 Posts
Just feedback on your "parts bin" comment- that's a big disappointment for me as well. I really like the truck- but knowing and feeling that Aveo/Spark grade turn signal every time I use it is a reminder of why GM/Cadillac don't get it. Hopefully this is better on the new '21 Escalade!

·
Registered
2015i Escalade ESV Premium
168 Posts
What's wrong with the turn signal? Why is it parts bin material?
The turn signal stalk does not have a quality feel- both physically or with it's movement. The turn signal from my kid's 2012 Infiniti G37 has a higher quality feel- and that's a design that was new in 2008.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts