Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Escalade Platinum and all of the sudden the compass shows the words "CAL" instead of the direction where I'm traveling. Also, the Navigation screen shows the GPS logo crossed off. I have not been able to find anything that can help me on the owners manual or online. Do I need to calibrate the compass? Or is there a setting to turn GPS on and off? I really appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
2018 Escalade ESV Platinum
285 Posts
Found this in an online owner's manual:

The compass system is designed to
operate for a certain number of
miles or degrees of turn before
needing a signal from the GPS
satellites. When the compass
display shows CAL, drive the
vehicle for a short distance in an
open area where it can receive a
GPS signal. The compass system
will automatically determine when a
GPS signal is restored and provide
a heading again. See Compass
Messages 0 147 for the messages
that may be displayed for the
compass.

Not much help of course. I remember reading in previous vehicles that there was a method of re calibrating the compass that involved driving the vehicle in circles in an open area like a large parking lot but don't see any mention of the procedure in the manual for this vehicle. Maybe it's something to bring up with the dealer on your next service visit. Or, if you are ever in an empty large open area, try driving in 3 or 4 circles for the hell of it and see if it does anything...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the quick reply! Yes, I found this information and have tried driving around in circles (at low speeds) in open areas. Nothing seems to change. Any information I find online speaks of a way to re-calibrate but that is not an option I have found. My dealer said they needed 2 hours to determine the issue and I'm trying to avoid paying for 2 hours o service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts