Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
This price makes a bit more sense. The ELR just might have a future after all.

·
Registered
CT6 plug-in, ELR, Tesla Model X, Ford Fusion Energi
643 Posts
No word about whether the reverse camera has been improved from the 2014's crappy nighttime blurriness. No cooled front seats. No head-up display. No word on whether C.U.E. has been fixed/improved. No CT6 features (like the 360-degree camera system) appear to have been added to the 2016 ELR.

The stated 0-60 time of 6.4 seconds requires one to use the gas engine, so if Cadillac hasn't added a Sport+ mode that forces the ELR to use gas even before the battery is depleted, most people will be getting to 60 in 8 seconds.

Still, perhaps the $9,000 price drop makes up for Cadillac not incorporating significant improvements? Not sure what's going to happen to the 500-700 ELRs still sitting on dealer lots from 2014...

And if the plug-in hybrid CT6 announced in Shanghai later this month is everything we hope, who would even think of buying a 2016 ELR when you could get a plug-in CT6??

·
Registered
ELR
24 Posts
That says it all.
After I get my Fed rebate my 2014 will "net" half what the 2016 will "net" for.

I considered a Volt last year, got a 2014 Cruze Eco instead and this year got an 2014 ELR for still less than my employee discount on the entry Volt would be!

So I am the diametrically opposed owner! Cruze Eco instead of Volt AND an ELR!

·
Registered
13 V Coupe Thunder Gray
244 Posts
Let it go Blast, just let it go
You'll feel better in the long run :)
And there's about 375 ELR'S left from about 1,000 at the start of the new year
All the good priced ones from dealers around me have been sold, have to go out of state now for a sub 49,000 one.

·
Registered
643 Posts
We came really close to closing a couple of deals on 14s, and ended up with a loaded 15 Volt.
That says it all.
What says it all? Do you know something that I don't?
You went shopping for an ELR and wound up with a Volt, even with all the discounts available on the superior ELR. To me, that says it all.

And now you're trying to convince us that you're going to upgrade barely a year later because the 2016 goes a little faster and costs a little less? It still isn't a hatchback, still has two nearly useless rear seats, and doesn't have any of the improvements found in the CT6 (or even the 2014 XTS). So why would you choose to lose money on the Volt just to get an incrementally better version of what you rejected? Doesn't seem logical.

Blast, let's be real. Nothing would make you happy with your purchase.
That statement is incorrect. I've written on many occasions what would make me happy with my ELR purchase, and it's not a lot: Fix the reverse camera so that the image isn't a worthless blur at night, allow the driver to disable the triple-honk nanny alerts just as we can disable the keyfob left in vehicle alert, allow the driver to darken the displays more at night so they're not so distracting, and fix the incorrect sorting of tracks from my iPhone in C.U.E. It's that simple. While it would be nice if all the other smaller issues would be resolved, those four have always the only ones that truly bother me. And it wouldn't take much to fix them, which is the truly sad part.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,724 Posts
I'll skip the quotes since I'm the next post. Your first assumption is incorrect. The selection of ELRs in Canada was very limited when I started my search (unlike the US). I have a connection at GM that provided me the VINs, dealerships, and delivery dates of every available unit within a day's drive of my location. That was three cars. One sold by the time I called the next day. I had a deal finalized on the second one, and the dealer sold it to someone while I was driving home and my salesperson emailed me instead of phoning. The third one was a little more complicated, I had to work the deal in French, the car was a demo with a substantial reduction in warranty, and we just couldn't work out a satisfactory deal. The money was not an issue.

Taking a loss on our Volt is not a big deal if the right ELR is out there. The supply just dried up, quickly, in Canada. We didn't settle on the Volt, it was the only choice.

I feel bad that you are not 100% happy with everything on your ELR. However, there is so much good/great/amazing to focus on... I guess I just wish that you were able to concentrate on the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives. Someone has posted an effective low buck fix for your camera, perhaps others will sort out the remaining complaints. I would think that aftermarket programmers will be able to eventually alter things like the tri-honk for you.

No stress, though, Blast, I know you are a real car guy, and a classy Cadillac one at that. I'm jealous of your ELR, and I hope to have one in our garage someday. Tell us some good stories sometime about what's great about your ELR.

Jason.

·
Registered
ELR
8 Posts
Yeah you are, but BLAST is NOT. I'm sick of his negativity and bad blood. He needs to be blocked off this site, all he does is try to poison our good feelings about our ELRs. It may not be perfect in every way, but I Love mine.

·
Registered
2014 ELR Saks Edition
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah you are, but BLAST is NOT. I'm sick of his negativity and bad blood. He needs to be blocked off this site, all he does is try to poison our good feelings about our ELRs. It may not be perfect in every way, but I Love mine.
Yeah, well I'm sick of the negativity of personal attacks. Blast was one of the first ELR purchasers and has the right to his opinions about the car and its issues.

·
Registered
ELR
8 Posts
Sorry you don't care for my opinion but the negativity comes from Blast and his attacks every single time someone posts something positive about their car!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Sorry you don't care for my opinion but the negativity comes from Blast and his attacks every single time someone posts something positive about their car!
Me pointing out the many flaws in my ELR shouldn't diminish the love you have for your ELR... unless you see the truth in everything I post and now can't help but notice every problem with your 2014 model. Sorry about that! But blame Cadillac for the ELR's failings and poor sales, not me.

Cadillac could have retained me as an ELR evangelist and enthusiast with just a minimum of adequate customer service, but instead chose to kiss off every current owner and break its promises about regularly updating C.U.E. (like Tesla updates its vehicles).

MOST of the problems I've pointed out with the ELR could be fixed by two programmers and two weeks of time (if not less). Then you'd see me on these forums singing the praises of the 2014 ELR and Cadillac's customer service. But instead all I have is each tier of support telling me everything I've reported will be fixed with the 2016 ELR... but never for my 2014 ELR.

That customer service attitude from Cadillac informed a lot of potential buyers, confirming to many that the ELR was just a pretty Volt, even though it's so much more than that. So when the price dropped $25k, only then did it become worth it. Because for $50k plus tax credits, the 2014 ELR with all its flaws is totally worth it.

If the 2016 ELR indeed fixes all the problems with the 2014 model year, then it will truly be worth the $66k MSRP Cadillac is asking for it. But you won't see one in my garage after my experience with Cadillac. No way. And I totally would have been first in line for a 2016 ELR had Cadillac not crapped all over me. Instead, my ELR replacement car will probably be a Mercedes plug-in or Tesla Model X. (It should be the plug-in 2017 CT6, but that's also a Cadillac, and therefore not even something I'd consider.)

He didn't actually purchase it, he leased it. I was going to pay cash.
Thank goodness, right?! Can you imagine if I had actually bought the ELR and then had to deal with trading it in when I went to buy my next car? Holy [email protected]! If you think I'm annoyed now, the volcanic explosion of anger that would have erupted from my mouth upon learning my $79k car could only be traded in for $20k would have sent me through the roof. Now I just get to sit back and giggle waiting for the moment GM Financial takes back my ELR at the end of the lease with its value completely under water while I get to walk away scott free.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,648 Posts
I have to disagree. Blocking people from ANY site because their views may differ from someone else's pretty much defeats the purpose of forum-themed sites. Perception is everything. What is important to one car owner may not be for another. The only person who can "poison" your feelings toward your car is yourself.

Love your vehicle in ways that give non-believers pause, but offer a rebuttal to a post if you feel someone posts inaccurate information or appears to be misinformed on a particular issue. Banning is reserved for grossly offensive behavior toward others - and usually after a stern warning from the site moderator; expressing one's opinion simply doesn't fall under that category. (At least in a free society.)

If you're that sensitive or emotionally affected by opinions that aren't the same as yours, maybe online forums just aren't for you.

CC

1 - 20 of 22 Posts