Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS 2.0T RWD Sun&Sound pkg. Cold weather pkg. Luxury pkg. Seating pkg.
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The time has come to replace the wheel bearing hub front and rear.
I've changed the bearings on Nissan 350z many years ago so i kind of remember how things go. i've done pads, calipers, and a lot more. i have a good experience.
I can usually do it myself if there are DIYs to follow but i haven't found one yet for this car. Perhaps someone can direct me to a DIY?

I would need step by step process, size of sockets i need (for convenience), and things to watch out for.
Also this would be the first time taking off a Brembo calipers. i will need some instructions on this as well.

As far as the part, i've used Timken before but i don't wanna drop $100+ on a single piece. How are Centric and Durago that cost like $60?

Thank you

·
Registered
'17 ATS Premium 3.6DI AWD
193 Posts
My CTS used to eat wheel bearings. I think I replaced like 5 of them. I had the best luck with Moog. Not sure if they make one for the ATS.
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My CTS used to eat wheel bearings. I think I replaced like 5 of them. I had the best luck with Moog. Not sure if they make one for the ATS.
Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah they have MOOG but it's more expensive or same price as TIMKEN.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,816 Posts
Given the time/effort to replace wheel hub assemblies, I would go with Moog or Timken for the additional cost and be careful if buying online because auto parts are one of the most commonly counterfeited items. Sometimes it is the same Chinese factory that makes the branded part and it may be as good as the real thing or maybe not. I wouldn't buy stuff like this from Amazon having had counterfeit issues with them before.

Low profile tires and particularly low profile ZP tires are hard on wheel bearings. I remember reading many years ago that wheel bearings have a harder life than even main bearings in a high power diesel engine because they are subject to severe impact load from potholes and other road features. Low profile, stiff sidewall tires can provide much better handling but they also greatly increase the likelihood of wheel bearing impact damage which won't become obvious until many miles later. A friend from AZ bought a Corvette Z06 a few months after I did and on his trip home to the west coast he hit a bad pothole on the interstate that blew the tops off both of the expensive MSRC shocks on one side of the car and also destroyed the wheels. Insurance covered replacement wheels, tires, and shocks but less than a year later the wheel bearings failed at both positions on that side from the impact.

That was a more extreme case but over time, smaller road imperfections take a toll on the hub assemblies and is one of the reasons I run regular profile/non-ZP tires on a smaller set of wheels during the winter with my ATS. Over time out of balance wheel/tire assemblies will also increase wear, especially continued operation of a damaged tire with a chunk of tread missing which results in severe imbalance but I suspect most failed bearings at an early age come from impact damage; the automotive version of CTE.

Rodger

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Given the time/effort to replace wheel hub assemblies, I would go with Moog or Timken for the additional cost and be careful if buying online because auto parts are one of the most commonly counterfeited items. Sometimes it is the same Chinese factory that makes the branded part and it may be as good as the real thing or maybe not. I wouldn't buy stuff like this from Amazon having had counterfeit issues with them before.

Low profile tires and particularly low profile ZP tires are hard on wheel bearings. I remember reading many years ago that wheel bearings have a harder life than even main bearings in a high power diesel engine because they are subject to severe impact load from potholes and other road features. Low profile, stiff sidewall tires can provide much better handling but they also greatly increase the likelihood of wheel bearing impact damage which won't become obvious until many miles later. A friend from AZ bought a Corvette Z06 a few months after I did and on his trip home to the west coast he hit a bad pothole on the interstate that blew the tops off both of the expensive MSRC shocks on one side of the car and also destroyed the wheels. Insurance covered replacement wheels, tires, and shocks but less than a year later the wheel bearings failed at both positions on that side from the impact.

That was a more extreme case but over time, smaller road imperfections take a toll on the hub assemblies and is one of the reasons I run regular profile/non-ZP tires on a smaller set of wheels during the winter with my ATS. Over time out of balance wheel/tire assemblies will also increase wear, especially continued operation of a damaged tire with a chunk of tread missing which results in severe imbalance but I suspect most failed bearings at an early age come from impact damage; the automotive version of CTE.

Rodger
Living in Michigan, USA, i did hit a bunch of pot holes -_- my wheels sound like a plastic piece is rubbing hard against the tires. Clearly there is nothing rubbing except for that bad bearing FML.
Also explains the steering wheel shaking -_-!

·
Registered
2015 ATS Sedan / 2.0T / RWD / 6-AT
132 Posts
Anybody? i'm pretty sure i saw that this fits rear on one website but this part on amazon and ebay say it doesn't fit 2016 ATS.
I think it should fit as you can see here:

Part no. HA590404

But it does not tell you whether it is for RWD or AWD

eBay says:
Timken manufacturer part no RWD: BCPZ-50283-30-1550330--1
Timken manufacturer part no AWD:
BCPZ-50283-30-1550350

Think you have to call the customers service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it should fit as you can see here:

Part no. HA590404

But it does not tell you whether it is for RWD or AWD

eBay says:
Timken manufacturer part no RWD: BCPZ-50283-30-1550330--1
Timken manufacturer part no AWD:
BCPZ-50283-30-1550350

Think you have to call the customers service.
i received my new front bearings, AC Delco, and rear bearings, Timkens.
I will have to double check to make sure Timkens will fit before i take the wheels off.

As far as AC Delco, i turned the bearing hub by hand and i can feel something "sandy" inside the bearing. (One side is worse than the other) Also it makes the rubbing sound as if it's not lubricated properly internally. They are very easy to turn by hand.
Both sides are giving this issue.
This is not a good sign right?

For Timken, it is very hard to turn by hand and feels well lubricated.
Ordered 2 pieces on amazon. One piece is made in china and the other one is from Korea.
The China one has sandy feel to it. The Korea one feels good.
I'm pretty sure they both are suppose to be from Korea tho lol

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,546 Posts
When it comes to car parts, filters or other parts where it can be difficult to tell what I am actually getting or who made it I am not a big fan of Amazon as they are a middle man who knows and cares almost nothing about what they are actually selling. With a normal retailer they have a reputation to uphold and you could call them to question it and they would be worried about a bad review on these parts or their business.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,816 Posts
I simply do not trust Amazon not to sell counterfeit parts so be extremely cautious with them, there is a lot of history with them and counterfeits across the product spectrum. Because they merge reviews, for a given product and seller you will often find reviews for the real product combined with those for the fake. Amazon's view is they are just the marketplace provider and aren't responsible for those selling in their marketplace, unfortunately they have been allowed to get away with this in our deregulated environment so caveat emptor is more true than ever.

I received counterfeit batteries and SD memory cards from Amazon, easy to return and they weren't a safety item like auto parts. I trust ebay sellers more than Amazon at this point but for critical stuff I am going with the traditional supply chain. Counterfeit Chinese products often look nearly identical to the real deal and in many cases come out of the same facility but process control and inspection are keys to quality and that is often the difference between the real deal and the knockoff and counterfeit items frequently are those that fail inspection and aren't shipped into the original supply chain while others are run down the line with less stringent input and/or process controls or some steps are deleted on the same production line to save time and cost.

This is not a knock on overall Chinese quality because their factories have long had the capability to produce very high quality stuff. Several years ago I restored some Chinese military radio equipment from the Korean conflict era that was an exact copy of radio gear developed and produced by the U.S. late in WWII. The quality of the Chinese gear was equal to that of the U.S. produced gear in both component and overall build quality and I later bought several spare Chinese tubes for my U.S. produced model. I suspect the penalty for a factory producing low quality materials or gear for the Chinese People's Army was rather severe compared to producing poor quality counterfeit goods. The included test meter was a very close copy of a U.S. produced classic Simpson VOM while the soldering tool was a bit archaic, it looks like it started life as a hatchet and the instructions stated it was to be heated in a low burning fire while the hand cranked generator contained two grades of grease with instructions for disassembling the gear train to clean and repack the bearings when the temperature dropped below freezing. Battlefield equipment repairs must have been interesting on the Chinese side of the lines...

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac ATS
194 Posts
I have noticed a drop in quality of auto replacement parts regardless of where you buy them, so you might as well deal with a real person at NAPA.
Case in point- I replaced a compressor in a 2014 Silverado July 1st. It did not break, it just lost compression after 130,000 miles. Next the suction hose failed. Then the condenser. Then the suction hose again. Then the low side hose twice! Then the low side side again (after 1 day), and then the compressor- again. All of this in the span of 7 weeks! A lack of oil or improper installation was not the problem, the parts were simply junk when new! After 9 component failures, the truck A/C seems to be OK. This was not my truck.
The metering valve was replaced with the first compressor and always worked OK.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts