Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove an ATS-V, honestly it was a blast to drive so I'm looking for one.

Also, there are manuals floating around, any reason to avoid those?

Any know issues?

It's been a long time since I had a Gen I CTS-V, I think it's time for another.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,239 Posts
Your choice. Pick 'em!

Reactions: TwinTurboFan

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your choice. Pick 'em!
[/QUOTE
Sounds
Sounds like there might be some issues with 16s having some cylinder bore issues.

The ‘17s have a better exhaust note?

I found a ‘16 that meets my wish list... But I’ve only test driven a ‘17, I loved it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
No major mechanical changes from 2016-2019, but there were several minor incremental changes.

The 2017-2019 allow you to adjust steering, suspension, and exhaust modes independently of drive mode compared to the 2016 where those individual parameters are locked to the 4 drive modes.

2016 cars did not initially support Apple Carplay or Android Auto; early production 2016s might not be able to be upgraded to support CarPlay or Android Auto, but mid 2016s and later could be upgraded to support it via a software update. IIRC late 2017 and 2018-2019 cars get updated Cue 3.0 software and hardware which looks nicer and offers more functions like downloadable apps and over the air updates, but there are still some bugs with Cue 3.0 such as radio presets "graying out" and not able to be selected.

The 2017-2019 cars also received slightly different font and coloration on the gauges than the 2016. Besides the minor gauge cosmetic change, the 2017+ cars have the option of showing shift lights on the HUD-- no such shift lights on the HUD of a 2016. The 2018-2019 cars also have the option of rotating the HUD through the dash menu and steering wheel controls if it isn't sitting level-- can't make that adjustment in the 2016-2017, you can only position it up and down.

A 2016 may have the intake manifold debris issue that might require an engine replacement at some point for excessive piston, ring, and bore wear from the debris going through the engine... GM is currently not offering any engine warranty extension for this issue at this time (even though they should be offering a 10Y/100K mile engine warranty for the 2016s IMO if they want to be seen as a "premium" brand.)

If you want to tune the car using HPtuners, the 2017-2019 cars require additional credits compared to the 2016 cars as the 2017-2019 cars received updated "A" revision ECMs, TCMs, and CCMs with additional encryption.

No reason to avoid the manual cars. The A8 transmissions have been a bit problematic in terms of torque converter shudder and shifting behavior, although the latest revision of the fluid supposedly makes things a lot better (and a tune makes it better still.) I wouldn't know as my car is a manual. The manual cars do have the occasionally somewhat stiff/notchy second gear issue (especially when the transmission is cold) that's pretty common with the TR6060 family of transmissions, but other than that things are solid. A few people here have broken the shift handle, but I'm not sure if it's a design issue, defect, or user issue as mine still feels great. Scott and a few others have been putting 600+ rwhp through the stock clutch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
GM recently released an over the air software update that finally fixed the graying out presets mentioned above. It took writing a letter to Cadillacs infotainment division to get that done.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Frost Edition 6MT Coupe
30 Posts
I've got a 2016 coupe with the manual and I would advise the stick if you like to row your own. The transmission is really engaging and very rewarding to drive, and though there is that at time notch-y 2nd gear, I've found that in Porsche's before too - doesn't really present much of a problem. I did specifically look for ones that could use CarPlay though, as it was an important feature for me since CUE isn't great. It's true the earlier 2016s didn't have it, but it was then added in. Look for the icon "PROJECTION" which looks like a TV screen with a WiFi signal on it and you will know how the car has CarPlay/Android Auto compatibility. I picked one up that was fully loaded and I couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
346 Posts
As the owner of a '16 6MT, I wouldn't have you avoid the '16s unless you find a specific reason (blue smoke on cold start, missing Projection on CUE or other known defect. Mine hasn't been perfect but AFAIK it has nothing to do with being a '16.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lots of good info, I’ll probably head to a’17 or newer based on all of this. And it’s easier to get a CPO ‘17 CPO than a ‘16. I actually want a manual but an Auto isn’t a deal killer.

I need the cat to support my iPhone, so there’s that too.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Frost Edition 6MT Coupe
30 Posts
Yeah a 2017 will def have CarPlay or Android Auto. I'd still say a manual (though I am a save the manuals die hard), but you really won't go wrong with an ATS-V. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
15,239 Posts
My 2016 has Android Auto.

Reactions: Renaldo1

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lots of great information in this thread.
Thanks guys!
I was looking at a ‘17 & a ‘18.
I‘m leaning towards the ‘17 since it has low miles and is in great shape.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Lots of great information in this thread.
Thanks guys!
I was looking at a ‘17 & a ‘18.
I‘m leaning towards the ‘17 since it has low miles and is in great shape.
I had a price quote for the 2017 ATS-V of $56k out the door with 6k miles including tax, tag & title.

The blue book for this year model is $39-47K.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Way too much

·
Registered
38 Posts
Exactly!
I offered $49K out the door.
The dealership didn’t want to budge from their $56k price so I moved on to another car for sale.

There was a 2018 with 30,000+ miles that I received a quote of $48,092.30.
I sent an e-mail asking about getting a deal done and I never heard back.
This car didn’t have the interior color I preferred so it wasn’t a huge deal not hearing back.

There’s a 2017 with 15,000+ miles.
Out the door price of $46,480.
I‘m opting to have it shipped since it’s out of state and COVID is reeking havoc on the travel and accommodations during a trip to go pick it up and drive it back home.

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Depending on how far away I would still be tempted to go pick it up and drive it home. This price/deal sounds reasonable.

·
Registered
ATS-V
373 Posts
I bought my 2017 CPO for $40k plus tax and $895 dealer fee. $36k miles, amazing condition, truly looked like a 5k mile car. CPO warranty included.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts