Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our new 2015i Escalade ESV (Raven/Kona) on January 10. Over the past month, I put a little under 500 m on the Esky prior to a family vacation trip. During that time, I had no issues and everything was in good working order.

We left Southwest Michigan (Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids Area) on February 12 for a vacation trip to Florida (Naples area). We left at 4 am and the drive to Indianapolis was a bit tricky due to a driving snow for this part of the trip. Once we got below Indy, the snow stopped and the driving conditions were much better. We drove to Macon, GA on the first day and then drove into Naples on the following day. We had no issues driving about in Florida and left for our return trip home on February 20. We had decided to drive just past Chattanooga on the first day. There were no issues except for the last 2 hours when the snow began to fly. We spent the last two hours in a driving snowstorm/freezing rain amongst the 18 wheelers and drivers that were obviously not experienced in driving in these types of conditions. When we arrived at our hotel in Kimball, TN, we were quite happy that we had planned our trip and made reservations as the hotel filled quickly. We had planned our second day to include a stop in Bowling Green, KY at the Corvette Museum. However, road conditions were so bad the following morning, that we had a late start and could not stop (we will go back in later this Spring when the weather is better). Even then, we had a nervous drive through icy mountain passes to Nashville (again amongst the 18 wheelers trying to make up time lost the previous day). We made our next stop in Elizabethtown, KY late afternoon and then drove in the following day.

Overall, We put about 3000 m on the Esky on this trip. It was a very comfortable ride and held all our luggage (4 large Rollerbags, 2 small bags, two wheelchairs, and a walker (we normally have one wheelchair for my daughter but my son is recovering from back and ankle surgery and needed both a wheelchair and a walker). I could get all of this gear in the Esky and still see out the rear glass.

Some specific impressions:

Ride and Handling: I have not had the vibration issue that others have experienced. The ride was smooth. The large tires pick up more road defects and I keep mine in sport mode but I do not consider the ride to be harsh. Keep in mind that I am coming from an Audi Q7 and Pickup trucks (Ford F-250 and Honda Ridgeline) as comparators. I keep mine in Auto mode and had no issues with the various weather conditions that we encountered.

Mileage: I did not reset my trip odometer before the trip. Overall, mileage has been in the 18 mpg range.

Technology: Really like the adaptive cruise. I was used to it on my wife's Q7 and it is nice to have it on my vehicle. The 360 camera was very nice and I found the camera quality to be equivalent to my Honda Ridgeline. The camera angle on my Honda was very limited and the Esky cameras are much better in that regard.

CUE system: I personally find the CUE system to be as responsive as the Honda systems and I like the Nav system much better on the Esky. During the drive through Kentucky, the system routed us off of I-65 due to traffic delays. It took us on a secondary road and then re-routed us back to I-65. Unfortunately, the on ramp was closed. Rather than try to figure out a secondary route, I called OnStar and they sent the route to the Nav system. No problem getting to the hotel. I also like the ability to access weather maps on the CUE system. The weather alerts were also very helpful on the trip but could be a bit annoying at times due to the frequency of the alerts.

All in all, it was a good trip and the Esky met our expectations. We are still learning the ins and outs of all the systems but that will come with time.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
I had the same 4wd system in my hybrid and using the 4auto in my new platinum was sufficient but in really slippery terrain I used the 4hi with confidence.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
FANTASTIC REVIEW.

I have a Platinum. 1400 miles and 5 weeks.
How do we get to see WEATHER MAPS.
I can do it on my iPhone 6 but have not figured out how to on my CUE yet.

I was planning the reverse trip but chickened out with all he bad weather, snow and back ice on the route from south FL to South Jersey and Phila.
Besides having a cold, we have also be moving into our new Oceanfront condo.
this night owl has awakened almost every morning to the see the sunrise over the ocean from our bedroom and living room.
Love it.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
^click weather icon and configure weather alerts and turn it ON. Now how do I turn off the horn from blaring with the engine on and I'm stepping out to open the gate?

·
Registered
2015 ESCALADE ESV 2015 CTS 2018 XT5. 2018 CT6
418 Posts
FANTASTIC REVIEW.

I have a Platinum. 1400 miles and 5 weeks.
How do we get to see WEATHER MAPS.
I can do it on my iPhone 6 but have not figured out how to on my CUE yet.

I was planning the reverse trip but chickened out with all he bad weather, snow and back ice on the route from south FL to South Jersey and Phila.
Besides having a cold, we have also be moving into our new Oceanfront condo.
this night owl has awakened almost every morning to the see the sunrise over the ocean from our bedroom and living room.
Love it.
Hit the Home button below Cue screen and then touch the Weather icon on the screen.
Did they not have computers when you were a rocket scientist. HeHe.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
We picked up our new 2015i Escalade ESV (Raven/Kona) on January 10. Over the past month, I put a little under 500 m on the Esky prior to a family vacation trip. During that time, I had no issues and everything was in good working order.

We left Southwest Michigan (Kalamazoo/Grand Rapids Area) on February 12 for a vacation trip to Florida (Naples area). We left at 4 am and the drive to Indianapolis was a bit tricky due to a driving snow for this part of the trip. Once we got below Indy, the snow stopped and the driving conditions were much better. We drove to Macon, GA on the first day and then drove into Naples on the following day. We had no issues driving about in Florida and left for our return trip home on February 20. We had decided to drive just past Chattanooga on the first day. There were no issues except for the last 2 hours when the snow began to fly. We spent the last two hours in a driving snowstorm/freezing rain amongst the 18 wheelers and drivers that were obviously not experienced in driving in these types of conditions. When we arrived at our hotel in Kimball, TN, we were quite happy that we had planned our trip and made reservations as the hotel filled quickly. We had planned our second day to include a stop in Bowling Green, KY at the Corvette Museum. However, road conditions were so bad the following morning, that we had a late start and could not stop (we will go back in later this Spring when the weather is better). Even then, we had a nervous drive through icy mountain passes to Nashville (again amongst the 18 wheelers trying to make up time lost the previous day). We made our next stop in Elizabethtown, KY late afternoon and then drove in the following day.

Overall, We put about 3000 m on the Esky on this trip. It was a very comfortable ride and held all our luggage (4 large Rollerbags, 2 small bags, two wheelchairs, and a walker (we normally have one wheelchair for my daughter but my son is recovering from back and ankle surgery and needed both a wheelchair and a walker). I could get all of this gear in the Esky and still see out the rear glass.

Some specific impressions:

Ride and Handling: I have not had the vibration issue that others have experienced. The ride was smooth. The large tires pick up more road defects and I keep mine in sport mode but I do not consider the ride to be harsh. Keep in mind that I am coming from an Audi Q7 and Pickup trucks (Ford F-250 and Honda Ridgeline) as comparators. I keep mine in Auto mode and had no issues with the various weather conditions that we encountered.

Mileage: I did not reset my trip odometer before the trip. Overall, mileage has been in the 18 mpg range.

Technology: Really like the adaptive cruise. I was used to it on my wife's Q7 and it is nice to have it on my vehicle. The 360 camera was very nice and I found the camera quality to be equivalent to my Honda Ridgeline. The camera angle on my Honda was very limited and the Esky cameras are much better in that regard.

CUE system: I personally find the CUE system to be as responsive as the Honda systems and I like the Nav system much better on the Esky. During the drive through Kentucky, the system routed us off of I-65 due to traffic delays. It took us on a secondary road and then re-routed us back to I-65. Unfortunately, the on ramp was closed. Rather than try to figure out a secondary route, I called OnStar and they sent the route to the Nav system. No problem getting to the hotel. I also like the ability to access weather maps on the CUE system. The weather alerts were also very helpful on the trip but could be a bit annoying at times due to the frequency of the alerts.

All in all, it was a good trip and the Esky met our expectations. We are still learning the ins and outs of all the systems but that will come with time.
Sounds like a good run.....and a great vehicle! I have just short of 1K on my meter and agree with all your points....my only issue is the dead OnStar and they are working on that today!

----------

^click weather icon and configure weather alerts and turn it ON. Now how do I turn off the horn from blaring with the engine on and I'm stepping out to open the gate?

Once you step outside the vehicle WITH the key in your pocket and the engine running, shut the door, the horn WILL sound....there is no override for that, it is designed to tell us the obvious .."you have left the engine running'...That being said, if you step out of the vehicle with the key and leave the door OPEN, the horn WILL not sound.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
924 Posts
Glad to hear the vehicle performed flawlessly.

Be very thankful you traveled through Nashville. While the ice was bad enough there, parts of the Cumberland Plateau are just now having power restored. If you had come up 75 through Chattanooga and into Knoxville it was just as bad. It was sleet for a short time then change to rain and ice, then back to sleet. 75 from here in Knoxville to the Kentucky state line was especially treacherous. Mine didn't slip once, but my normal 20 minute drive home took over an hour in very light traffic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts