Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2015 XTS has an occasional hard/rough upshift from 2-3 and a hard downshift 6-5 when in auto mode (sport or regularmode). We rented another xts for 3 months last summer and it had the same issue. What gives? I can't believe GM hasn't addressed this by now. Otherwise its a nice comfortable car but the hard shifts ruins the experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 luxury XTS;2016 luxury CTS
121 Posts
I have a 2014 XTS luxury AWD. I have a rough 2-3 upshift. It is a known issue. When I asked my dealer to look at it, they told me it was normal. Moreover, they gave me a copy of the service manual pages and service bulletins that tell the dealers to do nothing. The pages cite the reasons for the upshifts being harsh, more notably in the AWD models. I rented a 13 XTS while on vacation. It was FWD and I recall no harsh shifting. This was my experiment prior to buying one.

·
Registered
2020 XT6 Premium Luxury AWD - Horizon Red/Jet Black
268 Posts
I have a 2015 XTS4 premium and do not have any hard-shifting issues.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what's going on but the hard up/downshifts are more than an annoyance. We tried a brand new '15 xts v sport this weekend and guess what? A very noticeable hard downshift right after we pulled out of the dealer lot! The salesman was embarrassed to say the least and said he'd never experienced this before. I have read about this dilemma in some '13 xts's here and a bad trans module was the culprit, but I cant believe GM is still allowing defective modules to be installed. I believe the trans may be the same as in the previous generations DTS and we had 0 issue with that.

If the hard shift is a known issue, its very odd GM has no solution. GM we need you to rectify this, or the XTS will no longer be part of our household.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It appears thus far some (both fwd and awd) have this issue and some (fwd and awd) do not. I hope our dealer can get this figured out and we don't get some of the "they all do it' or "GM says its normal".

Do any GM Caddy techs ever chime in here?

Thanks

12,778 Posts
Good morning X15,

I can understand how this hard downshift/upshift would be concerning. It seems like you received a bit of feedback already and you are working with the dealership to address the situation. While I am not a Cadillac technician, I would be happy to look into this from my end as well and provide an additional layer of assistance if you are interested. If you can please PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership name, and personal contact information, I can open a case file on your behalf. This would also allow internal documentation of your feedback regarding the hard shift should it be a known condition as thegabbycat had mentioned.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
XTS4 Luxury
96 Posts
My 13 Luxury awd has a very harsh 3-4 upshift. Dealer said it was operating as designed. I'm gonna ask them to look at it tomorrow when I take it back for the unresponsive CUE issues again. Even though we have the powertrain warranty, I want it well-documented that I brought it in to the dealer for repair.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please report back.

Something doesn't make sense with some cars having this problem and others not. Ours actually clunks during occasional up/down shifting; it happens about 2-3 times per week. The new XTS we rented over a summer exhibited the exact same occasional clunk/hard shift. For GM/GM dealership to say the hard shifting is "operating as designed" is an insult to ones reasonable intelligence and to how an engineer would design something.

----------

Thank you. I will take you up on your kind offer of assistance if my dealerships cannot resolve this issue. In the interim perhaps you can look into this issue further for those of us with this issue. ours is a 2015 XTS FWD premium with approx. 9000 miles.

----------

Good morning X15,

I can understand how this hard downshift/upshift would be concerning. It seems like you received a bit of feedback already and you are working with the dealership to address the situation. While I am not a Cadillac technician, I would be happy to look into this from my end as well and provide an additional layer of assistance if you are interested. If you can please PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership name, and personal contact information, I can open a case file on your behalf. This would also allow internal documentation of your feedback regarding the hard shift should it be a known condition as thegabbycat had mentioned.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care
Thank you. I will take you up on your kind offer of assistance if my dealerships cannot resolve this issue. In the interim perhaps you can look into this issue further for those of us with this issue. ours is a 2015 XTS FWD premium with approx. 9000 miles.

----------

My 13 Luxury awd has a very harsh 3-4 upshift. Dealer said it was operating as designed. I'm gonna ask them to look at it tomorrow when I take it back for the unresponsive CUE issues again. Even though we have the powertrain warranty, I want it well-documented that I brought it in to the dealer for repair.
Please report back.

Something doesn't make sense with some cars having this problem and others not. Ours actually clunks during occasional up/down shifting; it happens about 2-3 times per week. The new XTS we rented over a summer exhibited the exact same occasional clunk/hard shift. For GM/GM dealership to say the hard shifting is "operating as designed" is an insult to ones reasonable intelligence and to how an engineer would design something.

----------

On another note, how does one edit their posts here?

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
Cadillac Cust Svc said:
Good morning X15, I can understand how this hard downshift/upshift would be concerning. It seems like you received a bit of feedback already and you are working with the dealership to address the situation. While I am not a Cadillac technician, I would be happy to look into this from my end as well and provide an additional layer of assistance if you are interested. If you can please PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership name, and personal contact information, I can open a case file on your behalf. This would also allow internal documentation of your feedback regarding the hard shift should it be a known condition as thegabbycat had mentioned. Hope to hear from you soon, Austin J. Cadillac Customer Care

I have the GM documentation that denotes this being a problem. I can provide .pdf copies

·
Registered
XTS4 Luxury
96 Posts
Dealer applied a software update to the TCM and BCM to address the shifting issues. Said it will take a few days to relearn shifting. It is already much better. There is a TSB on this that came out a year ago. After three service visits of me complaining, they finally looked it up and applied the update.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dealer applied a software update to the TCM and BCM to address the shifting issues. Said it will take a few days to relearn shifting. It is already much better. There is a TSB on this that came out a year ago. After three service visits of me complaining, they finally looked it up and applied the update.
Thanks. What year is your XTS and would have a copy of the service invoice with the software update info/#?

·
Registered
121 Posts
X15 said:
Can you share here please. Thanks
X15. I looked in my files. I was wrong. I did not save the GM documentation. All I have is a copy of the service ticket with dealer notes saying the customer was provided the PI documentation.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
X15. I looked in my files. I was wrong. I did not save the GM documentation. All I have is a copy of the service ticket with dealer notes saying the customer was provided the PI documentation.
Thanks anyway. Was the issue fixed in yours?

·
Registered
121 Posts
No,it was not. I was told it was working as designed. When I read the GM documentation, it very accurately described the reluctance of the transmission to upshift from 2nd to 3rd. It had a detailed explanation of the expected behavior.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
No,it was not. I was told it was working as designed. When I read the GM documentation, it very accurately described the reluctance of the transmission to upshift from 2nd to 3rd. It had a detailed explanation of the expected behavior.
Sorry your isn't right. Ours is different, as it occasionally shifts quite hard from 2nd to 3rd and from 6th to 5th, sometimes with a clunk all when in auto made (Sport or Regular). We love the rest of the car but the hard shifting is really ruining the experience.

·
Registered
2014 XTS Luxury Ruby Red
182 Posts
I have a question for those with clunky shifting, does the hard shifting happen just after switching drivers, then is less noticeable after being driven by the same driver for many miles or days? The reason I ask this is because most new automatics have a "fuzzy logic" program that "learns" a drivers driving habits, and will anticipate shift points. Some times when different drivers have vastly different habits the trans module makes adjustments, and this may cause a rougher than anticipated shift from time to time until the module gets used to the new driver. Just a thought.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a question for those with clunky shifting, does the hard shifting happen just after switching drivers, then is less noticeable after being driven by the same driver for many miles or days? The reason I ask this is because most new automatics have a "fuzzy logic" program that "learns" a drivers driving habits, and will anticipate shift points. Some times when different drivers have vastly different habits the trans module makes adjustments, and this may cause a rougher than anticipated shift from time to time until the module gets used to the new driver. Just a thought.
It happens with either my wife or me driving.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts