Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, after accumulating lots of miles in my platinum, I decided to rent a new 2015 suburban with only 1100 miles. All in all, inside the different skin you know there is an escalade in there. The cue functionality is there as a GM my link. Vehicle settings can be found similarly. I got the 4wd and though it doesn't have 4 lo, it's like the tranny of the early escalade. This came with 6 speed. 2wd to 4 auto can be done at any speed, even at 80 mph. It must have the 5.2L V8. It didn't have MRC but it rode fine nonetheless. Except for the materials, interior is all business. Even second row bench was powered. The rear hatch was powered and with my mastered kick, it works fine. Avis decided not to provide the headphones and remote in the two DVD ceiling, no problem I got the caddy ones from my P. It felt able as GM truck can be. The start button is seemless, the 20" tires rode smoothly. It didn't have ACC but it was okay. The only glitch was the rear AC would not work. But despite that, the front AC powered this long vehicle no problem. The trip, still halfway from michigan to Las Vegas thru Colorado Rockies then to Beverly Hills! Now at close to the Oregon border and have accumulated close to 4229 miles I believed. No clunking, some vibration initially when slowing down from 85-90. But it disappears unobtrusively. Cruising at speed, no vibration. I tried to pace it thru the twisties but didn't want to on a fully loaded truck at speed. If I had a choice, I would like to keep an extra one for road trips. Maybe a suburban or an ESV. I already have my platinum as my DD.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,892 Posts
Re: 2015 chevy suburban vs 2015 cadillac escalade

Look at the similar GMC version. They're all basically the same vehicle but the Chevy and GMC are missing what the Cadillac owner needs - The "look what I have" factor. Only practical difference (other than stupid pricing for some bells and whistles).

·
Registered
15i Granite/Kona (bought back)/ '16 Granite/Kona
314 Posts

I completely disagree.
I rented an all up Tahoe LTZ a few months ago in Florida. Drove it from JAX to MIA over the course of a week, using it as I would if I owned it. I think I logged just under 700 miles on it. It was 4x2 with MRC, 20" wheels etc.
I can tell you FIRST HAND, the Escalade is an entirely different driving experience. I found the Tahoe had a wander in it on the road, requiring constant steering input, something that does not exist in the Cadillac. Also, the power train is night and day. The 6.2 with the 8-speed is pretty impressive.
The amount of plastic and fake materials in the Tahoe was also a turnoff on a vehicle that could approach $70k when equipped with 4x4 and 22" wheels..

If you have the time and interest, look up my history of posts on this forum…I am the furthest from being being smitten by the "look what I have"..!!

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts

I rented a LT suburban and was pretty happy with it. It had almost as many gizmos as my loaded 2009 escalade.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
413 Posts

I almost got in a suburban at the airport yesterday...thinking it was my wife's Escalade. Scared me and the chaufer driving it! They are totally different front and back...but from the side the only difference is the nameplate, and even those are similar style.

·
Registered
2015 Plat Escalade
22 Posts

So, after accumulating lots of miles in my platinum, I decided to rent a new 2015 suburban with only 1100 miles. All in all, inside the different skin you know there is an escalade in there. The cue functionality is there as a GM my link. Vehicle settings can be found similarly. I got the 4wd and though it doesn't have 4 lo, it's like the tranny of the early escalade. This came with 6 speed. 2wd to 4 auto can be done at any speed, even at 80 mph. It must have the 5.2L V8. It didn't have MRC but it rode fine nonetheless. Except for the materials, interior is all business. Even second row bench was powered. The rear hatch was powered and with my mastered kick, it works fine. Avis decided not to provide the headphones and remote in the two DVD ceiling, no problem I got the caddy ones from my P. It felt able as GM truck can be. The start button is seemless, the 20" tires rode smoothly. It didn't have ACC but it was okay. The only glitch was the rear AC would not work. But despite that, the front AC powered this long vehicle no problem. The trip, still halfway from michigan to Las Vegas thru Colorado Rockies then to Beverly Hills! Now at close to the Oregon border and have accumulated close to 4229 miles I believed. No clunking, some vibration initially when slowing down from 85-90. But it disappears unobtrusively. Cruising at speed, no vibration. I tried to pace it thru the twisties but didn't want to on a fully loaded truck at speed. If I had a choice, I would like to keep an extra one for road trips. Maybe a suburban or an ESV. I already have my platinum as my DD.
Hey not sure why have a backup SUV if you already have a plat.

I run Plat, for family, m and amg for fun days, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
marcvtec said:
Hey not sure why have a backup SUV if you already have a plat. I run Plat, for family, m and amg for fun days, just my 2 cents
I like driving but the P is too nice to travel 6000 miles in a week. I guess the best alternative is renting. My company pays for it. I cannot recoup the wear and tear and depreciation by miles if I use it. I just traded my 2009 escalade hybrid with 195k miles for the P. My 2013 RRS L320 is the last of the design, so that will be used sparingly.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All in all finished the whole trek in a week. Rental was the 15 suburban. It was enjoyable and wound consider doing it again. Very smooth despite not having MRC''s.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The positives of driving the 6 speed, it downshifts like a super sport mode in curves and hills. While coasting downhill, I got it to downshift buy pressing the brakes further! Compared to my 8 speed platinum, which shifts immediately to 2nd almost like a stumble. But if you accelerate it aggressively from stop, you don't feel it. It would have been nice if I had the platinum in my trip to see how it would handle the mountain sweeps, downhill fast turns, etc.

·
Registered
None
226 Posts
evois said:
The positives of driving the 6 speed, it downshifts like a super sport mode in curves and hills. While coasting downhill, I got it to downshift buy pressing the brakes further! Compared to my 8 speed platinum, which shifts immediately to 2nd almost like a stumble. But if you accelerate it aggressively from stop, you don't feel it. It would have been nice if I had the platinum in my trip to see how it would handle the mountain sweeps, downhill fast turns, etc.

I'm going to the west coast next month for 3 weeks . I have a suburban on hold to drive from San franscio to Fresno to Disney land in So Cali to San Diego and back to the Bay Area I will chime in when I'm done with the trip. I'm already missing my 15 ESV . I would have love to have it there . But not those miles lol.

·
Registered
2009 Avalanche, 2013 GL550
22 Posts

The bottom line is "2015 Chevy Suburban" is running softer and smoother than "2015 Escalade" ? The question that I will never find the answer (both 2015 chevy suburban vs 2015 Cadillac escalade Thread and Smoothness Issues Thread). Some time, we have to admit the truth, and find out why!.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wmong6551 said:
The bottom line is "2015 Chevy Suburban" is running softer and smoother than "2015 Escalade" ? The question that I will never find the answer (both 2015 chevy suburban vs 2015 Cadillac escalade Thread and Smoothness Issues Thread). Some time, we have to admit the truth, and find out why!.
The suburban has 18" wheels while the escalade has 22" wheels.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
evois said:
The suburban has 18" wheels while the escalade has 22" wheels.
You can get said 18's through the dealer if you wanted I have asked and it's what I plan on doing when I get a 2015 as I know 22's wouldn't last long on my road

·
Registered
15i Granite/Kona (bought back)/ '16 Granite/Kona
314 Posts

It is going to look like ass with 18" wheels on it…my opinion of course. If you are really worried about ride, you are looking at the wrong (type) of vehicle.
Also, any 'burb with 18" wheels did not have MRC. LTZ comes standard with 20"s.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tyresmoker said:
It is going to look like ass with 18" wheels on it…my opinion of course. If you are really worried about ride, you are looking at the wrong (type) of vehicle. Also, any 'burb with 18" wheels did not have MRC. LTZ comes standard with 20"s.
You're right about not having MRC yet the ride was soft and compliant in the suburban rental I got.

·
Registered
2009 Avalanche, 2013 GL550
22 Posts

Now... we are starting to hear something!(When we admit that the Escalade run stiffer than Suburban). I did agree about the wheels size smaller will make the car run softer. But I still have question on "The MRC". The 2015 Suburban LTZ came with MRC. I did test drive this LTZ. It still running softer and Smoother than Escalade. May be only the wheels size that make all the different.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
tyresmoker said:
It is going to look like ass with 18" wheels on it…my opinion of course. If you are really worried about ride, you are looking at the wrong (type) of vehicle. Also, any 'burb with 18" wheels did not have MRC. LTZ comes standard with 20"s.
True

I would go with 20's but no larger personally

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Though I would say the soft and compliant ride of my rental 2015 suburban with 18" didn't help my confidence in the twisties of vail, I-70 of Utah and I-15 in AZ which an escalade with 22"s might.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts

Evois, check your rental again. Mine came with 17" wheels. Rode like a champ.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts