Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced battery in my 2015 SRX and everything works great with one exception. Rear liftgate won’t operate properly. It would open and close intermittently. I replace liftgate fuse and control module with oem delco parts. Since then now it makes a clicking noise and lights blink, but won’t open.....not even intermittently. Any help would be greatly appreciated before dropping big bucks at dealership.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
358 Posts
What control module did you replace? The one attached to the pump under the cargo area floor?

2 common causes for liftgates failing to open. 1 is flooding from the sunroof drains. The area under the cargo area floor floods and ruins the control module. The other is a worn out lift gate strut. That's the $30 strut on the lift gate on the passenger side.

First thing to check is that the door switch is not in the off position.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What control module did you replace? The one attached to the pump under the cargo area floor?

2 common causes for liftgates failing to open. 1 is flooding from the sunroof drains. The area under the cargo area floor floods and ruins the control module. The other is a worn out lift gate strut. That's the $30 strut on the lift gate on the passenger side.

Door switch in 3/4 position. Replaced control module in cargo area attached to pump. There are no water issues as with many others reported. Garage kept and seldom drive in rain or snow.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
358 Posts
I'd be looking at the right strut at this point.

Wonder if you can press the lift gate open button on the lift gate and open it manually once the latch activates. If so, does the gate remain open or does it fall.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lift gate pad, remote pad, and driver door button all fail. I was able to open hatch by accessing lock behind liftgate light with a screwdriver as others mentioned. However, when I go to close it manually it locks back up and won’t open. Also, I don’t hear the auto lock noise when I close it. Liftgate stays up and does not fall down. I’m wondering if there is a relay switch somewhere that is not making the electrical connection to the module control?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lift gate pad, remote pad, and driver door button all fail. I was able to open hatch by accessing lock behind liftgate light with a screwdriver as others mentioned. However, when I go to close it manually it locks back up and won’t open. Also, I don’t hear the auto lock noise when I close it. Liftgate stays up and does not fall down. I’m wondering if there is a relay switch somewhere that is not making the electrical connection to the module control

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
358 Posts
If it stays up then the right strut is functioning.

I'm also wondering if that control mod you replaced needs to be programmed by the dealer. Someone here knows that and will chime in shortly I'm sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm also wondering if that control mod you replaced needs to be programmed by the dealer. Someone here knows that and will chime in shortly I'm sure.

Purchased control module directly from gm and was told it was “plug and play” ...no programming necessary. May order another to make sure it’s not defective...perhaps after market reseller to compare. Thanks for your thoughtful points and interest in my dilemma.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
358 Posts
Been doing some reading. Pretty sure there is reprogramming or relearning involved using an OBD tool or similar.

Send this guy a message and ask him. He worked in Service for Cadillac for like 90 years. He'll know for sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts

David, I am dealing with a dead lift gate 2 days after the module was replaced by the dealership and now since I trashed them (Cadillac of Portland) by the way, they basically told me to pound sand since they said there was water damage. I am wanting to know, is there any way to fix the sunroof drains?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
David, I am dealing with a dead lift gate 2 days after the module was replaced by the dealership and now since I trashed them (Cadillac of Portland) by the way, they basically told me to pound sand since they said there was water damage. I am wanting to know, is there any way to fix the sunroof drains?
Go to you tube and search Cadillac SRX sunroof drain problems. Also search for liftgate issues. I don’t have that problem since garage kept and seldom drive in rain or snow. As far as caddy dealer file a BBB report about your experience and let dealer see for themselves. That is just piss poor customer service. They should at least refund what you paid that didn’t fix problem. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Lux
358 Posts
Yeah, the tubes are a problem and I'm not convinced it's a blockage issue. I just don't see how the sunroof channel can fill with water and not soak the headliner before it fills the under cargo floor area. I think it's a disconnect/cracking issue with the tubes.
Either way, the quick fix is to drill a hole in the bottom of the compartment that holds the module/pump. Then go after the real problem.
Lots of plastic disassembly is required to get to the drain tubes as I understand it. Some patience as well. I've not done this myself but many on this site have to find cracked and or disconnected tubes caused by shrinkage.
Good luck, folks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts