Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’re thinking of getting an RV. It says recommended weight shouldn’t exceed 7900lbs. We’re thinking of getting a 28’ 5300lb travel trailer but want to make sure the caddy is truly capable of towing it around the US??? We’re new to the caddy world and don’t want to bust our transmission. Any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,742 Posts
Moved from the '09-15 CTS-V forum, since the CTS-V folks probably aren't going to help you with towing advice for your ESV. :)

Edit to add: I would suggest that you use the "Search Community" bar at the top of the page to search the '15+ Escalade forum for the word "towing". You'll find plenty of real-world experience and advice to help you.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
419 Posts
It’ll tow it just fine. The early ’15 has the 6 speed tranny, that works better than the later 8 speed, which is annoyingly clunky, but plenty durable. Later models use the 10 speed which is the best of the 3 trannys. If you plan to cross the country in all weather towing, I would really recommend a 4WD model, although 2WD will be fine in most situations.

·
Registered
2015i ESV
48 Posts
Hello! Welcome to the forums! We have a 2015i ESV with the 8 speed. We pull a 32’ 7000lb Airstream. It does great. I use a Tekonsha Prodigy 3 brake controller, keep the transmission in 6 and the transmission temps never get above 185 even when it’s 90 air temp. I also have a Hensley Antisway/load leveling system which really works well since the tongue weight of the Airstream is nearly 700 lbs. Braking action overall is just fine, but I would like the Brembo upgrade for the front for a little extra stopping power after long downhills. We also pull a 4000 lb wakeboard boat and it handles that just fine also. The 6.2 is an awesome towing motor and I avg 13mpg pulling the boat at 70 and 11-12 at 65 with the Airstream.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts