Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade 2015 SRX 2012
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delivered my 2015 Escalde in late DEC 2014. Drove it home, noticed two 'lumps' in the seat that I did not notice in other vehicle test drives. After a few weeks of driving, I developed deep brusing in the areas. Took to dealer, its the Lane departure sensors in the foam seat slot. Best dealer could do was to remove the sensors and tie them UNDER the seat. Now they don't vibrate at all.

I went to the Detroit autoshow and checked the Platinum version of the escalade. While the sensors are there (you can feel them with your fingers) they are DEPPER into TALLER foam that that seat provides / Better lateral bolstering.

I drove a base 2015 TAHOE as a rental last week and it also had the sensors, and they could be felt, but BARELY. No pain. Again the side bolstering is thicker/ taller.

Lastly The sensors are wider than they are thick. If installed into the foam slot vertically, they will stick up about 1 1/4 inch. voted 90 degrees, they lie 'flat' at about 3/4 int=ch tall. This could be the difference, but I suspect the seat bolstering in my version of the vehicle is much less robust. it looks FLAT...

I also find it hard to believe that this has not been reported prior. The pressure is so pronounced that it fells like sitting on a half of a golf ball.

While I am a big guy at 350 lbs,Other that are much larger do drive these large vehicles... and must have experiences this with the 'right' seats.

Does anyone know who makes these seats for Cadillac? I'd like to contact them for help.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade
388 Posts
My vibrations feel very faint, I was in an SRX loaner and the vibration was much stronger. You should check out some newer ones and see if they are as uncomfortable to you.

·
Registered
Cadillac
746 Posts
Delivered my 2015 Escalde in late DEC 2014. Drove it home, noticed two 'lumps' in the seat that I did not notice in other vehicle test drives. After a few weeks of driving, I developed deep brusing in the areas. Took to dealer, its the Lane departure sensors in the foam seat slot. Best dealer could do was to remove the sensors and tie them UNDER the seat. Now they don't vibrate at all.

I went to the Detroit autoshow and checked the Platinum version of the escalade. While the sensors are there (you can feel them with your fingers) they are DEPPER into TALLER foam that that seat provides / Better lateral bolstering.

I drove a base 2015 TAHOE as a rental last week and it also had the sensors, and they could be felt, but BARELY. No pain. Again the side bolstering is thicker/ taller.

Lastly The sensors are wider than they are thick. If installed into the foam slot vertically, they will stick up about 1 1/4 inch. voted 90 degrees, they lie 'flat' at about 3/4 int=ch tall. This could be the difference, but I suspect the seat bolstering in my version of the vehicle is much less robust. it looks FLAT...

I also find it hard to believe that this has not been reported prior. The pressure is so pronounced that it fells like sitting on a half of a golf ball.

While I am a big guy at 350 lbs,Other that are much larger do drive these large vehicles... and must have experiences this with the 'right' seats.

Does anyone know who makes these seats for Cadillac? I'd like to contact them for help.

It hasn't been reported prior because your issue is probably extremely isolated. Look at the math. Let's assume that of all new posters to a forum, such as yourself, 75-90% are joining because they have a problem they want to solve. Not because they want to take time out of their day to write about how great their car drives. So now let's assume that of those 75-90%, no one else until you has reported this problem. That probably means that with all the thousands of 2015s on the road, this problem is extremely isolated.

With that out of the day, I don't like the dealer's solution to your problem at all. Something definitely sounds wrong, you are not crazy. I would try and get a hold of Cadillac directly. Perhaps they can direct you to another dealer with a field rep who knows what they are doing. You probably got a bum seat that needs replacing.

·
Registered
2007, 2008 CTS
77 Posts
One of my colleagues is a big guy and he drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee for years. I owned one back in '99 and it had the pillow top seats...extremely comfortable. Anyway, he is in the neighborhood of 300-310 and had to put some extra foam padding into the base cushion of the seat. We do a large amount of car travel and this allowed him to get the support he needed. I know the Jeep seats didn't have vibratory alert modules in the seats so, given my colleagues experience, I can completely understand how those modules might press into your legs.

Adding extra foam to the seat base might be a solution and worth checking out in order to elevate your legs above the original mounting position of the vibratory alert modules.

I definitely do not like the dealer solution. Taking away or lessening the effect of a safety system is not a solution, in my eyes.

·
Registered
15i Granite/Kona (bought back)/ '16 Granite/Kona
314 Posts
I actually did the same exact thing on my Summit.
The seats are VERY, VERY comfortable for long trips, but they are hard and the thigh support was not to my liking.
I had an automotive upholstery shop shim up the thigh area in the seat. Made a huge difference. I am extremely particular about my vehicles, if you find the right shop, they will be able to modify without it looking like you did.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
One of my colleagues is a big guy and he drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee for years. I owned one back in '99 and it had the pillow top seats...extremely comfortable. Anyway, he is in the neighborhood of 300-310 and had to put some extra foam padding into the base cushion of the seat. We do a large amount of car travel and this allowed him to get the support he needed. I know the Jeep seats didn't have vibratory alert modules in the seats so, given my colleagues experience, I can completely understand how those modules might press into your legs.

Adding extra foam to the seat base might be a solution and worth checking out in order to elevate your legs above the original mounting position of the vibratory alert modules.

I definitely do not like the dealer solution. Taking away or lessening the effect of a safety system is not a solution, in my eyes.
That is sad that it is their fix for a poorly designed seat.

·
Registered
'15 ESV, '12 CTS
126 Posts
Tyresmoker's got it right with having a custom upholstery shop fix it. Keep in mind that seat designers are trying to come up with something that will be comfortable and supportive for the 5'0" 100 pound female to a 6'6" 250 pound male; a huge range of sizes and weights. Obviously if you're at the extremes or outside of them, you need a custom solution. After spending 80-100k, I would think spending another 1000 (probably less) would not be a bad way to go for such an important part of overall comfort.

·
Registered
2015 Escalade Ordered!!
15 Posts
I agree with DavidAugust. I'm sorry about the problems you're having but I think customizing the seat would be the best route to go. Also--I would not recommend buying any of the "non-updated" models---as in the initial bunch that were made. I just bought the 2015i and I COULD NOT LOVE IT MORE. 1,000 miles and no issues. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

·
Registered
ATS
6 Posts
This actually is happening to me right now on an ATS loaner I received from the dealership. I couldn't believe how stiff and uncomfortable the thigh support on the seat was!

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
I have driven my escalade hybrid for 194934 miles and did not have a problem with the seat. I drive 15 hours straight with no ill effects. While when I drive my GLK in town it gives me some pain already. It can be seat design too.

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
230 Posts
You sure drive a lot, do you need to for your occupation??

I have driven my escalade hybrid for 194934 miles and did not have a problem with the seat. I drive 15 hours straight with no ill effects. While when I drive my GLK in town it gives me some pain already. It can be seat design too.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
OCescaladeESV said:
You sure drive a lot, do you need to for your occupation??
I hate flying hence I have the escalade for that. My new platinum I just drove yesterday and has now 1500 miles from 14 miles when I got it. Btw I work like a horse hence the miles. All our family vacation, if we are going within the U.S., it's all driving. Went to Europe last year and drove from rome Italy to southern France!

·
Registered
2015 Escalade, 2015 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
81 Posts
I'm 6'6" and 380 lbs. My seats are just OK. the longest I've sat in them is 3 hrs. Not near as comfortable as my 2012 where, they seemed wider in the butt area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2015 Suburban LTZ with the same problem. Dealership can't feel the sensor, haa, what a lit

Same problems being reported from 2015 Tahoes, Suburbans, Yukons, trucks.
All reporting the lane departure sensors very uncomfortable.
Dealerships don't have a repair bulletin so wont fix it. Say they can't feel it though with your hand you can feel.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/169302-2015-tahoe-ltz-driver-seat-pain-from-sensors/

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/168466-driver-alert-seat-hurts/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: My seat is fixed!!

Silverstar Chevrolet in Thousand Oaks, CA moved the lane departure sensor bars to the far back of the seat cushion where I cannot feel them. The vibration feels different and is a little more audible but it don't care, the bars are not digging in the back of the legs/butt. I think they are at the back of the cushion near where the seat base cushion intersects the seat back. I feel the vibration around my tailbone.

Shop Foreman Jaime worked to try to find a solution, in conjunction with Service Director Dominic.

I hope this information helps someone else.

(2015 Tahoe, had Suburban, opps)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts