Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Escalade 4WD Premium
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share with others who may share the same LED fetish. GM didnt provide license plate or front turn signals in LED on 2015 model, luckily its an easy upgrade to match the rest of the car and takes a few minutes of your time. See the installed photos and video at the end of the post.

License plate bulbs: You will need a pair of 194 wedge LED bulbs.. they are available anywhere and can be cheap as a dollar each. I decided to go with TRS as I use all of their components for retros etc, $20 for pair.. Never had any issues and they have awesome customer service in event anything does go bad.
Morimoto xb led - 194 wedge, you can buy them here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led...l#.VXy_vFJHanM
They can be a little of a pain to slide into the bulb holder but after applying some pressure they will go in. The match the reverse lights.

Front Turn Signal bulbs: You will need a pair of 7440 amber LED bulbs. I went with DDM Tuning on this one with a pair of 27x2835 SMD amber bulbs at $13.59 each. You can guy them here: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/7440-7443-27x2835.7440-7443-LED-27-x-2835-SMD. Front turn signals will require resistors otherwise it will hyper blink. DDM sells bolt in resistor adapters which i bought, however the 7440 plug doesnt match the GM one to twist into front signal housing.
It can easily be modified to fit with some trimming but I wasn't going to remove the turn signal housing to do this, instead opted to just go under the truck and slap these in. You can use the wire connectors to place the resistors in place, not the best method but works just fine, i've had mine in the 2010 ESV for years without any problems.

Resistors 6Ohm 50W, you can get them here: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Load-Resistor.Load-Resistors-Pair

To reach the front turn signals simply slide under the front bumper (in the center where clearance is greater and reach in to access the turn signals). Pictures below can serve as guidance on how to do it.

----------

·
Registered
993 Posts
I haven't found a single aftermarket LED license plate solution that I like. The bulb is way too bright making it look cheap. It's something a kid would do to a Honda Civic. My 750Li and E350 coupe both have LED lights and they are nice and subtle and not in your face. These lights should not be brighter than your taillights, IMO.

This is how they should be:

And why does a Yukon have LED front turn signals and an Escalade doesn't? :confused:

·
Registered
2015 Escalade ESV Luxury
2 Posts
I just did this mod today and man the led turn signals are so much better looking! I went with the white led to match the rest of the front. License plate bulbs are 6 led each. I need that extra lighting for backing up at night. The cameras are pretty useless even with the upgraded software.

The resistors gets a bit hot, is that normal?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes resistors always get hot.. i didnt get a chance to shrinkwrap mine when i did it so its just electrical tape.. if one of the bulbs goes bad or i have the car on the rack i'll re-do it so its super clean..

Regarding license plate bulbs.. just go to www.ddmtuning.com they sell wedge bulbs T10.. COB (they are yellow on both sides) and look amazing on license plate.. i just changed them on mine..

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
i bought the bulbs and resistors but find that I CANNOT get enough workspace under there to do the wire work necessary for the resistors.

·
Registered
2015-15i Escalade Premium Black/Kona
65 Posts
Hybrid_eg -- Do you have a pic of your wedge bulbs and the light they put off? I recently went to link you gave and bought the 194LED-COB-W and they are the bright white LED.......

·
Registered
'15 Escalade
152 Posts
Any of you guys have any info on how to actually get to the license plate bulbs? I see the plastic protection thing but can't figure how to remove that to get to the bulb.

Thanks guys!

*edit*

Never mind, got it. Just went with the Sylvania LED bulbs from Auto Zone for $10 a pop. Looks SOOOO much better and isn't anywhere near as bright as OP's. Looks more OEM in my opinion.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
Great Job,
looks GREAT and
it looks like you are capable of handling the change over.

I do not know why they left it out but this was part of their 2013 design for the 2015 intro at the beginning of 2015 and probably did not have a reliable and good quality LED 3 years ago.
They would have loved to say 100% LEDs

The fact that in 2015 they didn't change it surprises me, but they had many more problems on their minds.

Thanks for the details and the great Pics.
George

Just wanted to share with others who may share the same LED fetish. GM didnt provide license plate or front turn signals in LED on 2015 model, luckily its an easy upgrade to match the rest of the car and takes a few minutes of your time. See the installed photos and video at the end of the post.

License plate bulbs: You will need a pair of 194 wedge LED bulbs.. they are available anywhere and can be cheap as a dollar each. I decided to go with TRS as I use all of their components for retros etc, $20 for pair.. Never had any issues and they have awesome customer service in event anything does go bad.
Morimoto xb led - 194 wedge, you can buy them here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/led...l#.VXy_vFJHanM
They can be a little of a pain to slide into the bulb holder but after applying some pressure they will go in. The match the reverse lights.

Front Turn Signal bulbs: You will need a pair of 7440 amber LED bulbs. I went with DDM Tuning on this one with a pair of 27x2835 SMD amber bulbs at $13.59 each. You can guy them here: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/7440-7443-27x2835.7440-7443-LED-27-x-2835-SMD. Front turn signals will require resistors otherwise it will hyper blink. DDM sells bolt in resistor adapters which i bought, however the 7440 plug doesnt match the GM one to twist into front signal housing.
It can easily be modified to fit with some trimming but I wasn't going to remove the turn signal housing to do this, instead opted to just go under the truck and slap these in. You can use the wire connectors to place the resistors in place, not the best method but works just fine, i've had mine in the 2010 ESV for years without any problems.

Resistors 6Ohm 50W, you can get them here: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Load-Resistor.Load-Resistors-Pair

To reach the front turn signals simply slide under the front bumper (in the center where clearance is greater and reach in to access the turn signals). Pictures below can serve as guidance on how to do it.

----------

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Lux
17 Posts
Looks awesome! Maybe dumb question...but on the front turn signals, is there a noticeable difference? Or was it more about principle?

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Looks awesome! Maybe dumb question...but on the front turn signals, is there a noticeable difference? Or was it more about principle?
As far as the front goes...there IS a noticeable difference ......mainly because all of the rest of the front lighting is so LED "intense" that the turn signals seem "dim" and "slow".....just too bad they didn't finish the job! I have the bulbs and resistors to do it......followed the OP's instructions, but I can't get enough slack in the wiring or room up under there to get my hands in and do the work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
not a dumb question at all.. i did it for both reason principal as well as the fact that with LED at least in my opinion things just look better, and that I have an LED fetish :) and have them on all of my other cars, unless they came equipped LED from factory. The nice part is that each blink is truly on-off, whereas with halogen bulbs as the bulb is going into off mode its dimming slowly.. with this LED option due to sharp on-off blink it does appear to be more intense than halogen plus LED amber color is def more intense..

blit184, there is room under the vehicle just not much.. especially when you splice the factory shrink wrap to expose wires so you can attach the connectors for the resistor.. what i really want to do is find some 2015-16 pig tail for turn signal in the front and then i can solder those to 7440 plug in resistors.. from there it will be a true plug 'n play affair without having to deal with connectors as pictured in my DIY above.

My buddy just picked up a 2016 platinum and appears GMC still didn't get to incorporate LED into turns signals or license plate lights..

Here are the current wedge bulbs I'm using for turn signals.. they work very well because license plate housing doesn't have any reflectors built in, so if you picked up a 194 T10 wedge bulb which as a projector head the light will be pointing in the wrong direction.. make sure that one of the cob sides is facing down towards the clear plastic of the license plate housing..

Lastly, since my original post is from last year there is no way to edit it, but I realized i never posted a comparison video so here it is!! See further below.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/194LED-2xCOB-W

194 2xcob label 1.jpg

Video Comparison:
OEM Turn Signal (Halogen Bulb)

LED Amber bulb inside OEM Turn Signal Housing

·
Registered
2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV
20 Posts
I just did this mod today and man the led turn signals are so much better looking! I went with the white led to match the rest of the front. License plate bulbs are 6 led each. I need that extra lighting for backing up at night. The cameras are pretty useless even with the upgraded software.

The resistors gets a bit hot, is that normal?
Are you able to post a video showing us how it looks?

·
Registered
2016 Escalade Plat
41 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I got some really nice bright 194 license plate bulbs for both of my Cadillacs off Amazon. Best and brightest ones I could find and very easy to install.

Here are some pics of them on both cars. White paint is 2016 Escalade Platinum and Gray paint is 2014 V Coupe:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts