Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2012 CTS 4 performance package; 2015 Escalade ESV Premium
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While stop at a red light the check engine light started blinking and the truck started missing really bad.
had the truck towed to dealer and I was just notified that we had a lifter failure on the the right bank.
How can that be??? The truck has 59K miles.
Cadillac offered some assistance to repair the right bank but none replace the lifter on the left bank leaving us with another 3K bill.
I was told it is very normal with AFM systems
There is a bulletin on this issue.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10158866-9999.pdf
Has anyone been able to get Cadillac to pay for a full lifter replacement.
I was told the truck guarantee expired in February but the truck is under mileage.
Our Denali has 256K miles without AFM in it and never had any issues. Thanks

· Registered
2015i Escalade ESV Premium
344 Posts
Hate to say this but a well known issue on this generation of AFM.

Many of us have put Range plug in's to turn off the AFM system so we don't have this issue. Interestingly my MPG only dropped by 1.0 MPG. And that's with all the highway miles I drive, which typically would drop me into 4 cylinder mode. I'm crossing fingers (151K) I don't have an issue before I unload the truck.

· Registered
2007 Escalade
8 Posts
I have personally repaired 10 or 12 of these AFM issues. A couple things can trigger this. Low idle oil pressure is a primary cause. If the lifter see's less than 28 pounds at idle it can fail to pump the lifter up properly. There is also a high pressure limit for the AFM, I think it is 75 pounds. That is the reason for the secondary oil pressure relief inside your oil pan near the oil filter.
The other common cause can be a blockage of the oil pressure sensor screen under the oil pressure sensor at the back of the intake manifold. If that screen gets plugged or partially plugged it can cut flow to the AFM manifold which houses all the electronics that make the AFM system work. The screen can be removed and cleaned or replaced. If doing that change the Oil Pressure sensor at the same time, they tend to fail after 100K miles. The bolts on the AFM manifold can also come loose. This can reduce oil pressure to the AFM lifters without any external leaks. The intake manifold has to come off to check these bolts torque. The AFM Manifold can also fail and cause internal oil leaks. When I repair one of these I pull the oil pan, replace the Oring on the Oil pump pick up and the secondary oil pressure relief valve. I pull the intake manifold and the AFM manifold. If there is no sign of an internal oil leak and no indication of low oil pressure I go ahead and pull the heads, replace the AFM lifters and put it all back together. Yes, very expensive. Most shops just say "You Need a New Engine".
The engines are actually very durable. The AFM systems I have fixed have been between 135,000 and 200,000 miles. There is so much labor involved don't go cheap on parts. There is an improved AFM manifold available now from GM and the lifters are available from GM, Sealed Power and other quality suppliers, I think TopLine is the company building the USA lifters for GM and others. I would not use the cheap low priced Amazon lifters for this job. I have used Fel Pro gaskets and Head Bolts each time with success.

Should a lifter fail at 69,000 miles. No Way. The engine states specific Oil for these engines make sure you are using what it calls for. IF it says 5-30W stick with it. The 10W oils do not feed the lifters as fast and can cause you issues. Hope this helps.

Edit: some owners keep driving with the lifter loose and clacking after the failure. This will ruin the camshaft adding to the cost of repair. Note #2, between 150 and 200K the valve seats are known to sometimes fall out, when this happens the valve can hit the piston and ruin the piston and possibly much more. If the heads are off they can be rebuilt with all new valve seats seats for around $800. Spend the $800 now rather than risking doing the entire job again. I fixed 2 with dropped valve seats, one at just over 150K and one at 177K.
If you have ever been inside one of these engines you would be amazed. Even at 200K miles the cylinder walls look new and the piston ring seal is like new. It is a well built engine in spite of the few issues. If you want to look around compare the failure issues on both the Dodge Hemi engines and the Ford Dual Overhead Camshaft engines, they all have some failure points that show up with time.
Mark

· Premium Member
2008 Escalade Sport, 2018 Escalade Luxury & 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE
2,711 Posts
I just went through that at 79k miles. I also had the right passenger side fail. I wanted to change out the driver side lifters as well but it would require almost double the amount. If not mistaken the passenger side calls for 13 hours and the driver side is 9 hours. GM pays for half of the work on the damaged portion. I ended up paying $3200 which included the oil pan seal that had a small leak. Before I got GM involved the dealer wanted to charge me $4800 for the litter job and $2400 for the oil pan seal. I am upset because I don’t feel I should have to pay for GMs mistake. I am somewhat glad I didn’t have to have $7200. For $8600 I could get the engine replaced with a 6 year unlimited mile warranty but the shop is in California.

· Registered
'18 Escalade ESV Platinum
319 Posts
While stop at a red light the check engine light started blinking and the truck started missing really bad.
had the truck towed to dealer and I was just notified that we had a lifter failure on the the right bank.
Cadillac offered some assistance to repair the right bank but none replace the lifter on the left bank leaving us with another 3K bill.
I was told the truck guarantee expired in February but the truck is under mileage.
What year is your truck?

· Premium Member
2008 Escalade Sport, 2018 Escalade Luxury & 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE
2,711 Posts
If you read my post a couple of days ago about lifter failure at 79k you will see receipts that I posted from the dealer. The dealer told me that the lifters and manifold cover is updated. I am thinking the reason why my issue happened was because I didn’t use Dexo certified oil. I only did synthetic oil. For now on I am planing on using Dexo generation 3 oil by Mobil 1 and changing my oil at 15-20%. I see that all the lifter failures happen on the passenger side. If my driver side fails now I have all the part numbers and it is not hard to do that side.

· Registered
99 ETC 13 XTS 69 Chevelle 17 Yukon
968 Posts
If you read my post a couple of days ago about lifter failure at 79k you will see receipts that I posted from the dealer. The dealer told me that the lifters and manifold cover is updated. I am thinking the reason why my issue happened was because I didn’t use Dexo certified oil. I only did synthetic oil. For now on I am planing on using Dexo generation 3 oil by Mobil 1 and changing my oil at 15-20%. I see that all the lifter failures happen on the passenger side. If my driver side fails now I have all the part numbers and it is not hard to do that side.
Pulling a head is not what I would call "not a hard job".

· Registered
2010 DTS Premium 2010 Escalade EXT
660 Posts
Pulling a head is not what I would call "not a hard job".
If you're in the trade, with a full shop, then it's not. For anyone else, it's a big job. My 2010 EXT 6.2L has AFM, and I absolutely detest the system. I'm using a Range device and hoping for the best. AFM has got to be one of the very worst things GM ever invented, just horrible. Even when it works 'right' it still produces noises and vibrations (small, but noticeable). A pox on the engineer that thought of it.............. :mad:

· Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
17,623 Posts
At the present Range disabler won't work on 2019 up vehicles.
There is a new version out which does work, but it's in the $400 price range.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts