Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally broke down and bought the upgrade for the Navigation System upgrade for my 2015 Escalade. The installation process is tedious, but it appeared to complete correctly. (Yay!)

After I installed that update, I went over to my wife's 2015 SRX - same year and looks like the same Cue system, so I popped in the USB to see if it could update. I get an error screen that said "Invalid Map File". OK, I thought, looks like I'll have to buy an update USB for this one too! I then pressed the "Dismiss" button on the error screen. Nothing happened. I tried pressing other parts of the screen - Nothing.

I went onto Youtube and looked for suggestions on how to reset the Cue system - nothing worked. The SRX Cue system is totally unusable - no radio, navigation, or even the ability to adjust settings.

I later was driving and switched the screen in my Escalade from Navigation to Audio - the screen locked up. The same exact issue as the SRX - but THIS one installed correctly. Again, no radio (except the station it was tuned to), no navigation, no access to any vehicle configuration settings

Now I have two Cadillacs which together cost me almost $150,000 that have a major portion of the vehicle's operational system completely useless. I sent a note to the company that makes the USB device, but they aren't responding.

Now for the best part - I had to replace the battery on the SRX today and all configuration settings were lost and I cannot get to reset them because the Cue system is not operational. I have to say that angry doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now. It's not only the fact that the upgrades don't work, but the lack of response from Cadillac is astounding.

Any suggestions on fixing this or ways to contact the USB manufacturers or Cadillac for technical support would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,779 Posts
Disconnect the batteries for 15 minutes or more. See if that resets anything.
But this might be as simple and coincidental as both CUE touchscreens have become unresponsive to touch at nearly the same time. It’s a very common failure. Especially in the hot summertime weather.
There really isn’t anyway a NAV update should take down the whole infotainment system unless it’s not a licensed GM update. If you bought some aftermarket update, it might be corrupt and ruined the HMI module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the battery disconnected for well over an hour today when I replaced the battery on the SRX. That didn't fix the issue, but unfortunately cleared all configurations on the vehicle, which I cannot reset without the Cue system.

The NAV update was absolutely a GM official disc. Also, both failures were absolutely the result of the upgrade. No way it could be related to anything else.

Thanks for your thoughts, though.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Have the dealership diagnose it. They should be able to tell if the CUE touchscreen went bad or the HMI module is locked up. Make sure you tell them it happened after the NAV update. Maybe they can offer some assistance in paying for the repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have the dealership diagnose it. They should be able to tell if the CUE touchscreen went bad or the HMI module is locked up. Make sure you tell them it happened after the NAV update. Maybe they can offer some assistance in paying for the repair.
Yes, thanks for that recommendation.

I exchanged messages with Cadillac's Facebook page in the last hour. They also recommended that I take it to the dealer. I said that would be a great solution, but I shouldn't need to pay for any repairs since both cars worked 100% before the USB drive was plugged in and neither car was functional after the drive was plugged in. Their response was "the would, of course, be a diagnostic fee. WTF!!! they've been pushing me for several years to buy the upgrade, I buy it, it completely wipes out functionality on my Cue system and I'm expected to pay for repairs???!!!!

Not cool! If that's where this ends up, these will be my last Cadillacs ever

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The reality is that if the NAV update did not cause the issue, then you should pay for the diagnosis. An example of this would be if the CUE screens failed. There is no way software cause a touchscreen failure.
But there is an argument to be made that the NAV update caused the HMI module to lock up. In that case, I’d expect them possibly step up and get Cadillac to help pay or fully pay for the repairs.
And I’ll throw in this thought too, 1000s of people do these NAV updates without issue so the deck is stacked against you in your argument that the NAV update caused the failures. But it is certainly possible.
It’s also possible that an VIN specific Escalade update somehow screwed up your SRX.
Good luck at the dealer. If you don’t get a satisfactory solution, make sure you try to talk/argue you way up to the service manager or higher if needed. At some point, you’ll get a good compromise or a good explanation of why they can’t help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reality is that if the NAV update did not cause the issue, then you should pay for the diagnosis. An example of this would be if the CUE screens failed. There is no way software cause a touchscreen failure.
But there is an argument to be made that the NAV update caused the HMI module to lock up. In that case, I’d expect them possibly step up and get Cadillac to help pay or fully pay for the repairs.
And I’ll throw in this thought too, 1000s of people do these NAV updates without issue so the deck is stacked against you in your argument that the NAV update caused the failures. But it is certainly possible.
It’s also possible that an VIN specific Escalade update somehow screwed up your SRX.
Good luck at the dealer. If you don’t get a satisfactory solution, make sure you try to talk/argue you way up to the service manager or higher if needed. At some point, you’ll get a good compromise or a good explanation of why they can’t help.
Thanks for your suggestions. I obviously have no idea what actually happened, but whatever happened it was completely related to the update. It's unlikely that the Cue system in TWO vehicles owned by one person would go bad within an hour of each other - or actually less. Something in that code locked up both screens and I would expect that Cadillac would have some sort of software-related fix to address this.

It sounds like I'm going to need to get prepared for an argument. I have to say, however, that when a person spends almost $150,000 for two vehicles, the response should be better than I'm getting. Much much better. I am SOOOO disappointed in Cadillac.

Is there a way for an owner to "unlock" the HDMI module?

·
Registered
2016 ESV Platinum
168 Posts
I was thinking about getting the nav update but now I don't think I'll bother. I usually use Apple CarPlay anyway.

I can't wait to see how over-the-air updates will break things.

·
Registered
2016 ESV Platinum
168 Posts
I have to say, however, that when a person spends almost $150,000 for two vehicles, the response should be better than I'm getting. Much much better. I am SOOOO disappointed in Cadillac.
My local Caddy dealer is also a Chevy-GMC-Buick dealer. They treat me the same no matter what I'm driving. Which is to say, I don't get any special treatment. Some of the Chevys are more expensive than the Caddys they sell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My local Caddy dealer is also a Chevy-GMC-Buick dealer. They treat me the same no matter what I'm driving. Which is to say, I don't get any special treatment. Some of the Chevys are more expensive than the Caddys they sell.
Well, that's fine. I see you have a 2016 ESV Platinum, which is a hugely expensive vehicle - I think the new ones broke $100K. I would expect absolutely top-shelf support. At a minimum, I would expect a recognition that they would have some responsibility to fix something that their update broke - whether or not it's still under warranty. I didn't get any indication of that from Cadillac on Facebook. Hopefully, as Cutlass says, I may be able to get the local dealer to do better.

BTW - MLM - DO NOT buy an update from these people - especially since your vehicle can use the maps from your phone.

·
Registered
2016 ESV Platinum
168 Posts
see you have a 2016 ESV Platinum, which is a hugely expensive vehicle - I think the new ones broke $100K. I would expect absolutely top-shelf support.
I would like that too but Cadillac will never do it. I'm not sure BMW or M-B or Audi are any better though? My parents had a few Lexus vehicles and they had their moments but overall nothing special especially once the vehicles passed the three-year old mark. All they got was a pitch to trade for a new one.

I will pass on the update. I usually know where I'm going anyway lol.

·
Registered
2016 ESV Platinum
168 Posts
By the way I learned a few things when I was on a customer advisory panel for a local Ford dealer. Cars are just a commodity to them. The dealers make most of their money on service and to some extent on used car sales which have higher profit margins than new cars. New car sales are essentially loss leaders (not quite but close) to get customers coming back to the service department. The factory only pays the dealer a fixed amount for warranty work and the manufacturer is basically out of the loop on the service experience. The manufacturer might coordinate with the dealer (like OnStar does) but otherwise they are hands off the customer. The dealers have no incentive to go above-and-beyond for the manufacturer for warranty work. Once the warranty is up the dealer is on their own. Either they want to sell you a new car or will happily take your money to fix the old one.

I do think that a Cadillac-only dealership might provide better service than a multi-brand dealer, but that's only because the dealership wants to do it not because Cadillac tells them to.

·
Registered
'18 Escalade Platinum
935 Posts
If this had just happened on your Escalade, I’d blame the vehicle 100% as I had an early build 2015 that was the very definition of POS.

I’m guessing though, that there’s a bug in the download. I’ve had that happen on both phones and computers.

One question, are you the original owner?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If this had just happened on your Escalade, I’d blame the vehicle 100% as I had an early build 2015 that was the very definition of POS.

I’m guessing though, that there’s a bug in the download. I’ve had that happen on both phones and computers.

One question, are you the original owner?
Yes, I am. I agree there is something wrong with the software I was sent. I'm outraged by that but way more outraged by the fact that I've sent multiple messages to the email address they provided for support and have received zero response!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts