Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 15 CTS started making a loud clicking/knocking noise about 3-4 days ago. I didn’t think anything of it at first until last night when I heard it got a little louder. I thought at first it was PCV or purge valve until this morning I get in my car it’s about 88° out and I get in my car and start blowing the AC and I’m only getting hot air. I then realized the knocking noise only came on when the compressor first kicks on and it does it for a few seconds really loud and then gets quite and doesn’t stop until the AC is shut off. Freon gauge is showing around 30 which is still in the “charged” range but on the lower end so I charged it to 35 and I noticed no difference. Dealer can’t look into it for almost 2 weeks and quoted me around $1100 if it actually is the compressor. My local mechanic gave me a labor cost of $280 and I’ll buy the compressor kit which is around $2xx-$3xx
Anyone else ever heard of these cars having the AC compressor go bad so soon? My dads 04 SRX with 250k miles still has the original compressor and is blowing cold and my 2009 Escalade has 310k and has the original compressor and blows ice cold (All Florida cars)
I take wonderful care of my car and I can’t believe the ac compressor just failed like that.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS-4 Performance
193 Posts
Well, it was not a Cadillac, but back in 2013 my 2012 Lincoln MKS had only 49k miles on it when I bought it and the AC compressor needed to be replaced. It too was making a loud chattering noise and would not blow cold air. It was changed under warranty (less than 1k miles before that expired).

I also had the steering rack and a number of other items replaced under warranty before it expired.

Point being, yeah, you can have virtually ANY part go "bad" with lower miles.

I, also have never had a compressor go out on any of the other vehicles I have ever owned (about 20+) of many different makes and models (sports cars, vans, luxury sedans, SUVs, etc), most not even new when I got them as I mostly bought used vehicles. Even at 320k miles my Chevrolet 1500 custom conversion van was still running the original compressor and I had to fill that thing with freon twice a year the last couple of years I owned it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts