Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of issues with CUE. First is that it only recognizes my USB every other time I start up the car (the USB is always in the port). I can pull the USB out and reinsert it and have CUE recognize it (some times).

I have about 800 of my favourite songs on a USB. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for a particular song and I skip it. If I skip a song CUE assumes I don't want to every listen to it again. It's frustrating to watch CUE skip several songs (and skipping backwards doesn't go through the same list as it does skipping forwards). It's now playing from a much smaller play list. I can select a song manually but that's distracting. How do I reset this "favourite song" list?

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,787 Posts
My first use of CUE + USB was in a 2016 ATS. I normally don't skip songs. If I did, I didn't
notice CUE remembering to skip it.

I am guessing that CUE has to save the skipped song either on the USB or in it's memory.
Something to try:
If you have the songs on a PC, download it all to a new USB.
If you don't have that, copy the USB to a new USB, to see if it's fresh again.

·
Registered
2013 Luxury ATS 2.0T Manual
1,081 Posts
What year is your ATS? I have a 2013 with the first version of CUE and it does not act that way. When I'm not playing Albums or Playlists I go through the whole drive by song alphabetically. I skip songs a lot and they always come up again when it's their turn.

On the drive not found issue, do you have another USB drive to test with?

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T AWD
437 Posts
Also, check your 'shuffle' settings. After my USB is 'initialized' which takes time depending on how many files are on it, CUE sometimes turns my 'shuffle' off and I have to turn it back on again. Not sure why. But like Sergio526 says, I've never had my CUE 'skip' any songs. I, too, have a 2013 ATS.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
1,068 Posts
I use a 16GB USB stick in my 2014 ATS, I used to keep it on shuffle but it would play some songs twice before it would play others even once. That got annoying so I switched to the songs playlist so it would go through each song alphabetically as Sergio mentioned. Now my problem is it will just randomly prematurely end some songs after a minute or two and I won't get to hear complete songs. I'm going to try reformatting the stick and putting everything back on there and see if that helps. I think USB stick format needs to be FAT...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I use a 16GB USB stick in my 2014 ATS, I used to keep it on shuffle but it would play some songs twice before it would play others even once. That got annoying so I switched to the songs playlist so it would go through each song alphabetically as Sergio mentioned. Now my problem is it will just randomly prematurely end some songs after a minute or two and I won't get to hear complete songs. I'm going to try reformatting the stick and putting everything back on there and see if that helps. I think USB stick format needs to be FAT...
For best performance i recommend formatting as FAT32. I found you can use a USB drive bigger than 32GB if it's formatted as FAT32 (I'm currently using a 64GB usb 2.0 drive. If using Windows, you may need to use a 3rd party utility to format a larger than 32GB drive as FAT32). I also discovered that CUE can play lossless .WAV files (it struggles if they're above CD quality, aka, 16-bit 44.1kHz) and displays track name, artist, and album art when playing the song. It doesn't show the WAV's album name on the player, but it does show in the Albums list and you can call for the album by voice. No idea why it doesn't show that line in the player.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 6-sp Premium
390 Posts
Not sure if it is helpful, but I managed to find an old iPod that I connected with my CUE via USB. The compatibility seems really good, as it recognizes the iPod quickly and offers all of the menu options (artist, song, album, playlist).

It was working flawlessly until yesterday, when it lost connection a couple of times, but that might be due to issues with the iPod itself (the battery can't hold a charge).

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
1,068 Posts
For best performance i recommend formatting as FAT32. I found you can use a USB drive bigger than 32GB if it's formatted as FAT32 (I'm currently using a 64GB usb 2.0 drive. If using Windows, you may need to use a 3rd party utility to format a larger than 32GB drive as FAT32). I also discovered that CUE can play lossless .WAV files (it struggles if they're above CD quality, aka, 16-bit 44.1kHz) and displays track name, artist, and album art when playing the song. It doesn't show the WAV's album name on the player, but it does show in the Albums list and you can call for the album by voice. No idea why it doesn't show that line in the player.
Ok thanks for clarifying, I could not remember if it was FAT or FAT32. I had heard someone say once you can only use a drive up to a certain size, but I've been fuzzy on what the details/cutoff were. Good to know, thanks for sharing that. Yeah that album name thing sounds like an anomaly!

It was working flawlessly until yesterday, when it lost connection a couple of times, but that might be due to issues with the iPod itself (the battery can't hold a charge).
I have an old 20GB ipod photo I was using (I bought in 2004 haha), but same problem doesn't hold a charge.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium AWD
48 Posts
The "up to a certain size" thing you are referring to is probably the limit of the FAT filing system, which is 4 GB. FAT32 can format up to 16 TB (1 TB is approximately 1000 GB). And flash drive sold in sizes above 4 GB should already be formatted in FAT32 but that's not to say someone didn't mess around with your drive before.

I too have noticed the song "skip" when skipping forward through songs in the Play All Songs mode but not in the Play Album mode. If I play a specific song by calling it out via voice command, CUE then plays all songs alphabetically after that song. I like this to get some variety, but noticed that if skipping forward it will miss a song that I know is there. If I skip in reverse then it "finds" it. This is on a 2013 CUE system with the latest update, so sounds like a software but they never caught in validation ;).

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 6-sp Premium
390 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The "up to a certain size" thing you are referring to is probably the limit of the FAT filing system, which is 4 GB. FAT32 can format up to 16 TB (1 TB is approximately 1000 GB). And flash drive sold in sizes above 4 GB should already be formatted in FAT32 but that's not to say someone didn't mess around with your drive before.

I too have noticed the song "skip" when skipping forward through songs in the Play All Songs mode but not in the Play Album mode. If I play a specific song by calling it out via voice command, CUE then plays all songs alphabetically after that song. I like this to get some variety, but noticed that if skipping forward it will miss a song that I know is there. If I skip in reverse then it "finds" it. This is on a 2013 CUE system with the latest update, so sounds like a software but they never caught in validation ;).
Weird, I also have a 2013 and it has never skipped a song on me. Maybe it's the files? I initially had my whole collection as 320 Kbps or V0 MP3s. Then, when I figured out I could use WAV, I reripped everything. I had issues with album art using WMA and AIFF files, so I never used them for more than testing.

The CUE and ATS manuals listed the 32GB limit for USB drives and SD cards. That was more than enough space for me until I switched everything to WAV. Glad that limit was wrong.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 Premium AWD
48 Posts
It very well could be the files, I have a mix of MP3, MP4 AAC and WAV on my USB drive. As I said, I've only noticed this song skipping issue when I'm playing a very large list of songs in Play Genre or Play Song modes. If I call up a playlist or an album (normally only 20 songs max) then it doesn't happen. It could be an indexing issue where very long lists of songs cause CUE to miss an index...I've seen similar things happen with data collection software I've validated before in the railway world.

Just for giggles, I've tested many files types and found out that CUE will also happily play 16-bit, 96 kHz and 24-bit, 48 kHz WAV files! It also tried to play 24-bit AIFF files but sounded like it was only playing every other sample so I didn't try further. I have no idea if CUE actually plays high resolution or just down samples to 16-bit, 44.1 kHz but it's cool that it successfully plays them.

Also, I am currently using a Samsung 128 GB miniature flash drive with no issues whatsoever, so the limit they put in the manual was chosen by someone other than the engineer who designed this system.

·
Registered
Prev: 2018 ATS 2.0T NOW: 2020 CT4-V JR
2,787 Posts
The USB drive size might not have a limit. I think any limit is how much is on the drive to
get indexed.

I load all songs to USB from 1 format. I had a 2016 ATS, where I used WMA, not knowing any
better, and it worked fine. Then I got a 2018 ATS and WMA failed. I re-ripped all songs to my PC
in FLAC mode, then copied them to a USB and have been fine. I let them play in Alpha order,
but can select songs if I want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts