Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS Premium 3.6 Coupe RWD built 12/2014
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In late 2014, I ordered a 2015 BMW 435i from the factory. It took 6 weeks for delivery. After driving it for two months I couldn't take it anymore and sold it. The ride was terrible. This was my third BMW, I owned two 5 series before the 4.

I test drove a 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe 3.6 premium and knew that was the car for me.

The dealer I use in Wichita Falls, TX sells Mercedes, BMW and Cadillac, so they were more than happy to take my order for the ATS. I
ordered one from the factory only to find out it was going to be 4 months before I could get the car so I told the dealer to find me
one that had already been built.

I have now had my ATS three months and love it. Have had zero problems with 2500 miles on the car.

So for all my fellow ATS owners who see BMW's and wonder if they made the right choice, you did.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
That's awesome !! I've had mine for a week now and concur with everything you said. Fantastic car :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To answer your question about the ride of the 435i. The roads in my city are less than ideal. The ride of the BMW was very harsh, you could feel every bump. The suspension was very stiff. Good for cornering but not for going over a rough road.

The ATS Premium has magnetic ride that smooths out the bumps. I am very pleased with the ride of the ATS.

·
Registered
ATS
17 Posts
I don't know how the ATS compares with a 428i, but I agree if the 4 is anything like the 128i sport package I came out of. Loved driving it, but the ride was intolerable. The ATS is just as sharp while being a lot more civilized.

·
Registered
ATS
455 Posts
Interesting, all the reviews of the 3 series said the ride was much softer and cushier on the BMW.
I guess your 435i didn't have the dynamic handling package?

·
Registered
'15 ATS Coupe Lux
93 Posts
Interesting, all the reviews of the 3 series said the ride was much softer and cushier on the BMW.
I guess your 435i didn't have the dynamic handling package?
went from 328i coupe to ats coupe. no comparison in my view, but the bmw will appeal to some of the young folks. ATS more refined in all areas while maintaining its nimbleness. both had run flats but the bmw's were much worse in ride quality, imo.

·
Registered
none now, but will look at CT5. 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0T. Former 14 ATS 3.6
218 Posts
The F-30's chassis is simply no match for the alpha platform. On the other hand, from a powertrain standpoint the ATS struggles a bit compared to the BMW. That may change in 2016 with the LGX engine and 8-speed transmission.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Lux, 2017 MB C300 Coupe
997 Posts
I think a more appropriate comparison may be between the ATS (Lux) coupe and the BMW 228. As it is my understanding that the 228's drive is very much similar to the older BMW E46, bringing a BMW that appears to have returned to its "enthusiast" status.

·
Registered
ATS
455 Posts
Also the 228i m-sport comes with Michellin Super Sports and lighter wheels. Those tires compared to our runflats increase grip tremendously.

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
Army pilot, thank you for posting your positive thread. I am also a very satisfied ATS owner that came from a German vehicle. I realize most of the folks posting here are upset at the faults of the ATS but for those who truly enjoy them it's nice to their positive stories. Kudos to you for posting this thread and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2014 Red Obsession ATS Premium 3.6L
601 Posts
wow, my ATS Prem ride is already rough on not-so-smooth surface. The 435i is even rougher than that?!! Thats a whole lot of roughness!

Armypilot said:
To answer your question about the ride of the 435i. The roads in my city are less than ideal. The ride of the BMW was very harsh, you could feel every bump. The suspension was very stiff. Good for cornering but not for going over a rough road. The ATS Premium has magnetic ride that smooths out the bumps. I am very pleased with the ride of the ATS.

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupe 3.6 RWD Premium
12 Posts
Congrats on the car and I completely agree. After test driving a 435i, and then an ATS, there was no doubt which car I was going with. The ATS just feels more like a drivers car, overall driving dynamics just felt so much better to me. I also went with a 3.6 premium coupe, beautiful car!

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac ATS Coupe 2.0T AWD
24 Posts
To answer your question about the ride of the 435i. The roads in my city are less than ideal. The ride of the BMW was very harsh, you could feel every bump. The suspension was very stiff. Good for cornering but not for going over a rough road.

The ATS Premium has magnetic ride that smooths out the bumps. I am very pleased with the ride of the ATS.
So help me out on magnetic ride control. Am I correct that switching to sport mode on an ATS Premium with magnetic ride does not seem like a difference at all? Is this noticeable only on ATSs with MRC?

·
Registered
ATS
455 Posts
What model do you have? Sport mode makes a huge difference if you have MRC.
Unfortunately AWD Premiums don't have MRC.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't ride in Sport that often. I did notice that the shift to a higher gear took longer.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts