Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a new born baby, we decide to replace our current compact sedan. My top concerns are safety and reliability.
I compared different deals(online or offline) and the current best price is (2015 535i xDrive 52523.0) And (2014 CTS-V Sedan $59247.0). For the CTS-V, autpriceshare dealers provide 3 years extended warranty.
I searched deals shared by others in autopriceshare.com and these prices seem decent. I believe that someone here should own at least one of these two cars. Could you provide me some feedbacks about the safety or reliability of these two models? Need your professional advices.

·
Registered
None
525 Posts
With a new born baby, we decide to replace our current compact sedan. My top concerns are safety and reliability.
I compared different deals(online or offline) and the current best price is (2015 535i xDrive 52523.0) And (2014 CTS-V Sedan $59247.0). For the CTS-V, autpriceshare dealers provide 3 years extended warranty.
I searched deals shared by others in autopriceshare.com and these prices seem decent. I believe that someone here should own at least one of these two cars. Could you provide me some feedbacks about the safety or reliability of these two models? Need your professional advices.
I have a 2012 V sedan and right before that I had a 2010 535i. BMW had better build quality and some nicer tech but I will tell you, the V is way much more fun. The power is intoxicating. Also, German cars cost way too much to maintain after warranty expires. BMW will get much better gas mileage if that's a concern otherwise I recommend the V hands down.

I have a car seat in mine, if your wife is tall, over 5'5, you might want to test the room before you buy.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan
156 Posts
I also came from a 2009 535i to a 2011 V sedan. Approximately the same price but the V was simply more car for the money. We had two BMWs in a row and grew tired of the problems. Wanted something with less fuss and the V drove more like a true BMW than the 535i. Take a rear-facing car seat with you so you can see how they fit.

·
Registered
2016 CTS-V
308 Posts
Safety: probably a close call. The BMW is slow so you won't be getting into any high speed accidents I guess...
Reliability: V. It'll hold 650hp all day and hardly bat an eye.
Cost of ownership: V. change the oil. do your regular maintenance.
Expense of repairs: German cars cost a fortune if...no WHEN...they break. Shops/dealers who know GM are plentiful.
Performance: lol

The 535i is a nice car, but it's just another BMW, nothing special. The V, however, turns heads and is a special vehicle. Formerly the fastest production sedan in the world.

·
Registered
2009 V2 MT Sedan (gone), 2016 ATS-V MT Sedan
53 Posts
I traded in an e60 550i for my v. I also had a newer (I think it's the f10?) 535 as a loaner while the 550 was being serviced.

The build quality was slightly better in both beemers and the tech was much better. However, as good as my 550 was to drive (it had the m sport upgraded suspension) the v is much more fun to drive. Every time I put the hammer down I giggle and I'm stock. I can't wait to upgrade to stage 1.

I'll warn you that the stereo in the v isn't great. However everything else about the car makes up for it.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
The V will be much more reliable and the performance compared to the 535, do you even need to ask? :). Not that a 535 is chopped liver, though, it's a nice sport luxury sedan, but again, it and the V are in different classes (sporty sedan vs supercar sedan).

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,150 Posts
And, to put a damper on all of this conversation, this is a V forum, so our views might be just a little bit slanted in one direction!

I have a Wagon and I love it! The comments above are spot on.

·
Registered
13 6MN Vagon OBM
295 Posts
...and the V drove more like a true BMW than the 535i.
^^^ This! I went from 17 years of new BMW's to an '09 V2 sedan, then a '13 Vagon and never looked back.

After my '00 (E39) M5 sedan, newer BMWs lost their soul. Never liked a 5-series starting with the E60 and since in terms of driver-orientation, involvement, or performance. I took back my deposit on the E60 M5 (put down before specs were announced, just out of habit). The V2 drives dynamically better than the consensus best-handling 5er, but boatloads more TQ.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
And BMW has lost its way with their benchmark 3 series. I rented a 328i last Columbus Day for a trip to the White Mountains. It floated and bobbed like an old Cadillac.

A base ATS is still fun to toss around...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
XDecker said:
I'll warn you that the stereo in the v isn't great. However everything else about the car makes up for it.
Try the "centerpoint" setting. It improved the sound quality in my car.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,150 Posts
Try the "centerpoint" setting. It improved the sound quality in my car.
And I went heavier with the base and the treble. Kept the midrange, well, midrange.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Uh, this is a V forum and my vote goes for the V. The BMW is gonna make you feel like Mr. Mom. The V will make you feel like Superman. You choose how you want to feel everyday when you drive.

·
Registered
11 CTS-V
46 Posts
I drove German autos for 20 years until I watched them test the 3-V's at Willow Springs on Speed Vision; that drove me to test drive a V Sedan and I was sold. I recently changed to a V Coupe, but my 4 yr old daughter still loves her rides to school, just not as much as me. WAO supercharger wine is the best stress release which you can't get from a BMW.

·
Registered
2009 V2 MT Sedan (gone), 2016 ATS-V MT Sedan
53 Posts
And I went heavier with the base and the treble. Kept the midrange, well, midrange.
Hi guys,
Thanks for the comments.

I had played with all of the stock settings, and well, the Blose stereo still sounded like crap in comparison to the Logic7 in my 550i and even more like crap compared to the VW Dynaudio I had in the CC I owned before. I'm not a HUGE audiophile, but I definitely noticed a difference in audio quality and the lack of customization was just not cutting it.

I spent the money in a JBL MS-8, and so far, it's been a worthwhile investment. I'm STILL tuning it (right now the EQ sounds pretty decent, but the imaging seems a little weird sometimes. Think it's either my crossover points or something to do with the delay auto-tune), but overall I'm happy with the 600 spent installed. The MS-8 will also serve as the center of any speaker upgrades I decide to do. I do kind of wish I had finer control over the delay and specific speaker levels, which I would have gotten with an Audison BitOne+additional amps, but then I would have been looking at like a 2K install. Just wasn't willing to spend THAT much on JUST a processor+amp install. Put it this way.... I think the JBL + all brand new speakers will end up being like 2K, maybe a little more.

Brian

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I am perfectly happy with the audio system in my V Coupe. Could it be better? Yes. Do I need more ear drum blowing sound? No. Maybe when I was in my late teens and 20s, sure! At almost 40 years old, I am perfectly happy with the Bose system in both my Cadillacs.

·
Registered
14,150 Posts
I rarely use the radio in my V. Who cares? The aural sex I get as I drive is mind blowing!

·
Registered
CTS-V (Black 2014), CTS-V (Red obsession 2014)
776 Posts
Hi guys,
Thanks for the comments.

I had played with all of the stock settings, and well, the Blose stereo still sounded like crap in comparison to the Logic7 in my 550i and even more like crap compared to the VW Dynaudio I had in the CC I owned before. I'm not a HUGE audiophile, but I definitely noticed a difference in audio quality and the lack of customization was just not cutting it.

I spent the money in a JBL MS-8, and so far, it's been a worthwhile investment. I'm STILL tuning it (right now the EQ sounds pretty decent, but the imaging seems a little weird sometimes. Think it's either my crossover points or something to do with the delay auto-tune), but overall I'm happy with the 600 spent installed. The MS-8 will also serve as the center of any speaker upgrades I decide to do. I do kind of wish I had finer control over the delay and specific speaker levels, which I would have gotten with an Audison BitOne+additional amps, but then I would have been looking at like a 2K install. Just wasn't willing to spend THAT much on JUST a processor+amp install. Put it this way.... I think the JBL + all brand new speakers will end up being like 2K, maybe a little more.

Brian
You are a bigger audiophile than you think. I did not understand most of your words, it was like you were speaking a different language. I spend about 3 hours a day in the V, and I am totally satisfied with the sound system. I have my priorities in the proper order though; if I was going to spend $600.00 on any car, I promise you that it would go toward "go fast" performance modifications and NOT the sound system! :)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I rarely use the radio in my V. Who cares? The aural sex I get as I drive is mind blowing!
The radio is a waste when you have an amazing soundtrack like the V's powertrain! I can't get enough of the amazing sound of the supercharger whine and exhaust!

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
I'm not very tech savvy or an audiophile (sounds like someone who has to register their address with the state). Probably don't know half of what my V can do tech-wise and don't care. Maybe it's my age or the fact that performance, comfort, and even aesthetics are higher priorities to me than having the best sound system. The factory Bose system sounds just fine to me. To each their own. If someone wants to put big bucks into their V's sound system, more power to them. I'll spend my $ on performance upgrades and gas! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts