Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2014 XTS Steering Problems

9K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  92873 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a 2014 Luxury XTS. I really love the vehicle, but I have to constantly make steering adjustments at highway speeds. The vehicle does not pull to the left or right. The dealership checked it out and said the vehicle was operating normally. A few weeks ago I had to have a new CUE system installed and was giving a loaner luxury XTS and it did not have any steering problems --it drove great and I did not have to make extra steering adjustments while driving at highway speeds. I took the vehicle to a second Cadillac dealership and they check out the electronics in the steering column and I was again told the vehicle was operating normally.

The vehicle has the Goodyear Eagle RS-A Tires. I would greatly appreciate any suggestion from other members.

Thanks

#2 ·
Re: 2014 Cadillac XTS Steering Problems

Goodyear tires aren't great, but should not be influencing steering unless they (or wheels) are damaged. Could be alignment - is there any evidence of rough treatment by previous 'test' drivers? How many miles when you got it? Sounds weird, unusual and unacceptable!
Good luck, keep us informed of your resolution.

#3 ·

The XTS had 34 miles when purchase. The alignment has been checked by two different dealers Cadillac dealers and the electronics in the steering mechanism were check by the second dealer. You are totally correct, this problem is unacceptable

#6 ·

I can't remember (understand) everything they said, but the service advisor said they checked the position sensor and the angle sensor (these could be the same thing but the service advisor mentioned both.) He also said everything was in phase and said something about checking degrees. He also said there were no diagnostic trouble codes. I apologize if the above does not make good sense. I am not all that familiar with the electronics associated with steering wheels.

#7 ·

Ben1a7, I suspect that you have a tire problem. If you just recently purchased a new 2014 XTS, it sat on the dealer's lot for some time. The stock Goodyears are junk
tires, and sitting for so long, in hot and cold temps, could result in the tires taking some wierd "sets." It took six replacement tires to get four good tires on our '13 (that means only four out of ten were within specs!). The dealers are reticent to replace tires, as often they have to "eat" the expense of replacement. (GM may claim that thedealership did not drive the car prior to sale to prevent flat-spotting, etc.)
I suggest that you get a Cadillac dealer to switch all four wheels and tires from a properly handling/steering vehicle onto yours for a test. (Also, you may have bad wheels.) Be there, and witness the switch, ride/drive with the dealer rep, etc. Stay on top, not only of the situation, but on the dealer....they hate to eat $ to satisfy a customer!
Good luck!!!

#8 ·

I noticed at highway speeds a sensation of movement in the steering. Almost seems like the tires may be overinflated and high centering on the middle of the tires...like driving on a wire...on the other hand the ease of turning the wheel is remarkable. I know what the dealer will say before I mention this...so I figure I will mention it today but wait a while to see if it gets worse or more annoying...which it isn't yet.

#10 ·

I noticed at highway speeds a sensation of movement in the steering. Almost seems like the tires may be overinflated and high centering on the middle of the tires...like driving on a wire...on the other hand the ease of turning the wheel is remarkable. I know what the dealer will say before I mention this...so I figure I will mention it today but wait a while to see if it gets worse or more annoying...which it isn't yet.
Hi rdodson,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this sensation of movement in the steering of your XTS-V. It looks like you are waiting a bit before addressing this with your dealership, but feel free to PM me with your VIN, mileage, dealership name, and personal contact information before you do so. With this information we can go over your options moving forward and we get everything documented within our system.

Enjoy your day,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

I recently purchased a 2014 Luxury XTS. I really love the vehicle, but I have to constantly make steering adjustments at highway speeds. The vehicle does not pull to the left or right. The dealership checked it out and said the vehicle was operating normally. A few weeks ago I had to have a new CUE system installed and was giving a loaner luxury XTS and it did not have any steering problems --it drove great and I did not have to make extra steering adjustments while driving at highway speeds. I took the vehicle to a second Cadillac dealership and they check out the electronics in the steering column and I was again told the vehicle was operating normally.

The vehicle has the Goodyear Eagle RS-A Tires. I would greatly appreciate any suggestion from other members.

Thanks
Hello Ben1a7,

I can understand how this issue with your steering and the lack of a dealership solution would be frustrating. It looks like you’ve received quite a bit of feedback from the forum regarding what you are experiencing, were you planning on contacting the dealership again with this additional information? If you do plan to give the dealership another shot, please feel free to send a PM my way and I would be happy to add an additional layer of assistance to this resolution process.

Best regards,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#9 ·

rdodson,
yes, you are right, high tire pressure makes everything worse, except turning which gets easier. So I'm guessing that reducing the tire pressure, maybe 5 lbs under recommended, might make all the difference. several posters here have resorted to that (including me). However, if there is a genuine problem I would fight like hell to get it fixed. Good luck, and keep us updated.

#11 ·

My '13 XTS4 (Which sat on a dealer's lot for quite a while before I bought it with 16K miles on it) exhibited the
same sense of wandering all over the road. An alignment didn't fix it. Then I hit a pothole and bubbled the sidewall
of one of the original tires. Not having a case to make Cadillac pay for new tires, I went out and bought a set of Pirelli
P7's. The wandering stopped. Take it for what it's worth. I can't guarantee this is your problem, OP, but it was for me.

#14 ·

Your problem is 99% in the tire(s), a slight defect in the tread is most likely off causing the pull. Hope this helps.
I agree with the tire solution, as strange as it might seem. I owned a 2005 300C which literally was all over the road and needed constant correction. The OEM tire was a Continental. Replaced them with Goodyear Assurance and it was like driving a totally different car. Solid as a rock.

#13 ·

Took my XTS V Platinum in for 7500 mile service. Service Tech and I went for test drive and he was able to duplicate the hitch in the steering when moving left. All exterior steering components seemed OK upon inspection. They decided to change out the steering gear box. I get this done on Friday the 16th. In addition they found a little fluid seepage in right rear Magnetic Shock $$$$ and axle seal. Glad under warranty. So we shall see if steering hitch goes away.

#15 ·

In my case I do not think it is the tire(s) as they were just rotated and the symptoms are still there...a hitch...turning toward left a few degrees at speed. I already experimented with changing the tire pressure....improved some but the hitch was still there.

#16 · (Edited)

Sounds like a stiff balljoint some where, if a ball joint had got water in it somehow the socket could corrode and make steering stiff enough that the rack won't return to fully center after a turn. Not very common but possible, only way to tell is to inspect the balljoint boots for tears or maybe not seated properly, also, disconnecting both tie rod ends from the steering knuckles/spindles and moving each wheel from stop to stop may reveal the tight side, and/or a strut bearing could be faulty.

#17 ·

2014 XTS V Platinum has been repaired under warranty. Steering box, 2 electrical connection harness', replaced and steering no longer has hitch when turning left. Very smooth. Alignment performed as well as replacement of RR Shock and Axle seal. Service excellent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.