Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville and 2009 DTS
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One time about 6 months ago, the display showed "Service Keyless Start system" when I got in the car and started it.
Then it happened again this week.

I have NEVER start the car using the remote. I have always pushed the start button on the dash.
So what is causing this? Will it prevent me from starting the car someday?
I thought maybe the remote needed a new battery, but I only found 1 thing on the internet related to this and it said to take it to the dealer.

Surely there is a fix. Anyone know what to do?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I am taking the shotgun approach after thinking back and replaying the times when the message came up and what happened during that timeframe, so I am doing the following:

1) Change battery in BOTH fobs. Will switch to my spare fob and see what happens this week.

2) I have gotten into my car, when I meant to get into my wife's car. Maybe my car thought the fob was with me and didn't sense it?
So next time I get in the car, it wonders why the fob is intermittent?

3) I know this time I had a bunch of coins in my pocket and maybe the coins shielded the signal from the fob?

If I dont reply to this by the end of the month, then that means it is working and one of the above fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,592 Posts
I have NEVER start the car using the remote. I have always pushed the start button on the dash.
Lol, you might not actively push any remote buttons but the car uses the remote and the remotes sends out signals EVERY time you start your car.
I’d start with a new FOB battery if you don’t want to take it to the dealer.
If you take it to the dealer, then will probably find a stored trouble code pointing at the FOB or a vehicle antenna issue and the mystery will be solved. Up to you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You mean when I push the start button on the dash, it sends a signal to my fob, then the fob sends signal back?

well then, I guess the problem is the fob battery or the coins blocked the signal

·
Registered
2014 ELR
194 Posts
FYI.
The Fob is always transmitting a digital encripted signal that is unique for every fob. Think of it as a 32 digit random password.
When you get close to your car the car receives this signal. It then goes through a few steps that check to make sure no one has messed with the BCM, ECM Instrument cluster or remote function actuator to try to hijack your vehicle. If it is all good then once you get in the vehicle (it know you are inside because the system uses 10 or more antennas both inside and outside the vehicle) it will then let you start it. If you push buttons on the remote the signal from the remote gets much stronger so all of this can happen at a greater distance. The signal will also communicate what remote function button you pushed. There is also a special place in the car (check your owners manual) that you can put the fob that allows the vehicle to read the digital password even if the battery in the fob is dead. I suggest new users take time to learn where that is and how it works to avoid having to figure it out in a panic later.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice information! Well so far so good. I am watching what I do.
No coins, no getting into my car without the FOB, etc...

·
Registered
2016 XTS platinum plus
159 Posts
Both of my cars are 4 years old and had the original batteries in the fobs. Just put new batteries in the key fob a few months ago just to play it safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts