Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

I have a 2014 SRX, with 70,000 miles on it (as of 11/11/2020). I have had problems in the past where the car experiences a complete loss of power steering during rainstorms or while the road is wet. This prevents me from turning the car even slightly and I have to stop for a few moments before I can continue moving normally. I feel lucky that these events have only occurred while driving slowly (such as through parking lots, on neighborhood roads, etc), but I know this is a big problem.

In the past, I mentioned this problem to the Cadillac dealer where I purchased my vehicle, and, from the little research I did, think it MIGHT have something to do with the serpentine belt, but when I mentioned it to the Service Advisor, he asked if I wanted to replace the belt for some outrageous amount of money (like $500 or so because it was "really hard to get to") and I decided not to do it. However, before telling him no, I asked if he thought it would correct the problem, and he said they don't know, because they're not investigating the problem, they're just replacing the belt at my request...which I thought was a bit odd.

I would like to know if anyone else has/had a similar issue with their SRX, what steps they took to correct it, and whether it worked. Thanks!

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,003 Posts
i think you are on the right track with the belt perhaps, but the car should still steer - but difficult to do so with out the assist.... , i think the tensioner is froze and that's why the belts slipping, i would take it somewhere besides stealer and have the belt changed, the tensioner can be broken loose and lubed up so it operates normally, you are only looking at like 300 beans - or you can do this DIY its a PITA but not that bad if you have tools and a lift. my mustang had the same issue and i did it myself

Reactions: Bgw70

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,194 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

I have a 2014 SRX, with 70,000 miles on it (as of 11/11/2020). I have had problems in the past where the car experiences a complete loss of power steering during rainstorms or while the road is wet. This prevents me from turning the car even slightly and I have to stop for a few moments before I can continue moving normally. I feel lucky that these events have only occurred while driving slowly (such as through parking lots, on neighborhood roads, etc), but I know this is a big problem.

In the past, I mentioned this problem to the Cadillac dealer where I purchased my vehicle, and, from the little research I did, think it MIGHT have something to do with the serpentine belt, but when I mentioned it to the Service Advisor, he asked if I wanted to replace the belt for some outrageous amount of money (like $500 or so because it was "really hard to get to") and I decided not to do it. However, before telling him no, I asked if he thought it would correct the problem, and he said they don't know, because they're not investigating the problem, they're just replacing the belt at my request...which I thought was a bit odd.

I would like to know if anyone else has/had a similar issue with their SRX, what steps they took to correct it, and whether it worked. Thanks!
Did you change it?
Is your car 4wd?

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,003 Posts
oh good catch willy, i forgot about the front diff thing................;)

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
614 Posts
I would think that more water would be splashed on the belt in high speed driving vs low speed driving.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
238 Posts
Instead of lubing the tensioner I would replace it. Be sure and use quality parts. Shouldn't cost much more to do this.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,194 Posts
If these cars are AWD, you may be having a problem with the center differential not unlocking, since the front and rear wheels travel in much different arcs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@WILLY92 The car is FWD, not AWD. I did not change the belt because they could not diagnose the problem and were only going to change it "because I mentioned it."

@GEORGEC Oddly enough, I have never experienced an issue while driving fast. It is odd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to close the loop on this...I took it to a non-Cadillac GM dealer, explained what was happening because I knew it had to be more than just replacing the belt. They found it was not only the belt, but the belt tensioner that was bad. This also affected the alternator. All were replaced, and I just went through a big rainstorm again and had no issue after the replacements.

·
Registered
2013 Caddy SRX Luxury
373 Posts
i think you are on the right track with the belt perhaps, but the car should still steer - but difficult to do so with out the assist.... , i think the tensioner is froze and that's why the belts slipping, i would take it somewhere besides stealer and have the belt changed, the tensioner can be broken loose and lubed up so it operates normally, you are only looking at like 300 beans - or you can do this DIY its a PITA but not that bad if you have tools and a lift. my mustang had the same issue and i did it myself
You called it!
Well done...belt and a belt tensioner.

Reactions: WILLY92

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,003 Posts
SWEET!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happens to me all the time. Only when I'm driving slow. You honestly can't turn the wheel it completely freezes up for about 1 2 seconds. Thanks for the input gonna have mines replaced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts