Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey group, I just bought a 14 ELR today! The seller gave me a discount because a part of the bottom of the touch screen doesnt work. I can't press Media to access my bluetooth music so I do that from the steering wheel. I can't press destination in nav, etc... So I'm assuming i have to replace the touch screen right? Is there anyone that can give me some feedback on what to do here? Should i replace just the touch screen? Should i replace the entire center section where the touchscreen is a part of? If i can't find a used ELR touch screen or center console, should i look for a 2014 ATS center console? Any kind of upgrade i can do while doing this? I'd like to do the Apple Car play while going through all this...Also, any links on how to take the center part / touch screen out? Sorry to bombard with all these questions...just wanted to throw it all out there...

·
Registered
166 Posts
I can't press Media to access my bluetooth music so I do that from the steering wheel. I can't press destination in nav, etc...
I'll be interested to see what others may have to say about this - as my 2014 just started doing the exact same thing. I have 66 k on the odo - so it's out warranty - so sorry aseraj, I have no helpful advice for you on the "fix".

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Definitely let Cadillac pay for the repair if it is still under warranty. Even if its barely out by a couple months and couple miles, they might still cover it. Just ask.
A Cadillac dealer will only fix it one way and that's with the complete touchscreen display and lower controls/secret compartment as an assembly.
Other members on here have found a way to just buy the screen and swap it into the old radio display/controls assembly.
There is not really an upgrade directly associated with the screen. It's really just a screen and control pad. The Apple Carplay and other upgrades are done by replacing the HMI module which is the computer heart of the infotainment system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunately my car has 85k miles so definitely out of warranty. I went to dealer today and they told me $2k to replace screen. But i dont know if they meant just the screen or the entire black housing structure with hidden compartment and all. Has any one just replaced the screen? I searched "Cadillac Cue touch screen" on ebay and there are a handful of people selling them. In their description it always says ATS, escalade, etc but never ELR....But it looks the same. Would one of those work?
"

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
They are talking the whole black housing.
I thought there were people on here swapping the screen out of the housing.
One of those screen assembly housings on eBay should work. The assemblies are all pretty much the same except for maybe the heated/cooled seat buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
unfortunately my car has 85k miles so definitely out of warranty. I went to dealer today and they told me $2k to replace screen. But i dont know if they meant just the screen or the entire black housing structure with hidden compartment and all. Has any one just replaced the screen? I searched "Cadillac Cue touch screen" on ebay and there are a handful of people selling them. In their description it always says ATS, escalade, etc but never ELR....But it looks the same. Would one of those work?
"
I called my dealer today to inquire about my problem (seems the same as yours). They suggested I call GM Customer Care at (800) 458-8006, so I did. They "escalated it" for me saying I should hear back in 24-48 hours. Well about 15 minutes later my dealer's service customer service manager called me asking why I called GM, ha. I explained my CUE wasn't working properly, so he asked I bring it in, that it would be about $160.00 to troubleshoot it, then I would have the option to either pay for the repair myself (since my car is out of mileage warranty 66k) or if it turns out to be a bigger problem (like entire replacement) they would suggest I call GM Customer Service back and see if some sort of arrangement could be made to help with the costs of the repairs since time-wise my warranty has 12 days left on it. Not a finished story yet - but at least I have started on fixing the problem. They are going to look at my car Monday, I'll follow up on the forum.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If the screen does not respond to touch, it needs a screen. Don’t pay for diag.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If the screen does not respond to touch, it needs a screen. Don’t pay for diag.

Sage advice, but it's partially working and does respond to upper touches...? Maybe it just needs a software update or a reboot or something minor, time will tell I suppose - either way I know my wallet is opening....

·
Registered
136 Posts
There have been a lot of threads on this forum and others, plus FB about the lower touch screen not responding. It seems to happen most often in warmer climates and it is a hardware (touch screen) failure and requires a replacement (not firmware or software).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sage advice, but it's partially working and does respond to upper touches...? Maybe it just needs a software update or a reboot or something minor, time will tell I suppose - either way I know my wallet is opening....
Dealer called me - the entire CUE system (radio head) needs replacement - $1810.00 (including the diagnostics to tell me it's broken). I reported this to the GM Customer Service as going out with 65k on the odo, with 6 days left on the bumper to bumper time warranty (yes I know technically it's out of warranty). But with that said the CUE should last 10 to 20 years, eh, not 3 years and 11 months and 23 days. GM Customer Service said they'd back to me in a day or two after they talk to the service manager at the dealership. Either way it'll be fixed, as you can't not have the CUE in your Caddy, just hope to receive some sort of financial relief from General Motors. So far everyone has been very understanding and responsive to my dilemma - but only time will tell the final outcome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is a salvage yard in Michigan that has parted out 9 or 10 ELRs. I think they were GM test or vip vehicles.. Go to ebay and type in 2014 ELR, you can contact him from there.. Its a option for you..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dealer called me - the entire CUE system (radio head) needs replacement - $1810.00 (including the diagnostics to tell me it's broken). I reported this to the GM Customer Service as going out with 65k on the odo, with 6 days left on the bumper to bumper time warranty (yes I know technically it's out of warranty). But with that said the CUE should last 10 to 20 years, eh, not 3 years and 11 months and 23 days. GM Customer Service said they'd back to me in a day or two after they talk to the service manager at the dealership. Either way it'll be fixed, as you can't not have the CUE in your Caddy, just hope to receive some sort of financial relief from General Motors. So far everyone has been very understanding and responsive to my dilemma - but only time will tell the final outcome.
There's a reason my ELR is the 7th Cadillac I've owned - my local dealer just called and advised the GM Customer Service Center took care of it for me, I only have a small fee to pay. So I'm definitely not going to look a gift horse in the mouth! Thank you Cadillac/GM for saving me a bundle of money.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There's a reason my ELR is the 7th Cadillac I've owned - my local dealer just called and advised the GM Customer Service Center took care of it for me, I only have a small fee to pay. So I'm definitely not going to look a gift horse in the mouth! Thank you Cadillac/GM for saving me a bundle of money.
Just in case another ELR owner can capitalize on this information:

Radio Control Assembly Replacement (CUE) which is a known issue with Cadillac, charged only Customer Goodwill Deductible of $100.00 :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
It appears this issue is unresolved, though a little old. Julien is correct, I believe. The touchscreen itself is the issue, not the display behind what you touch or the unit behind it. The screen can be purchased from amazon for $130, including pdf installation instructions. Be sure when searching for one that it has the amber-colored translucent areas at the bottom. These are for the proximity sensors. The whole process takes about 4.5 hours if it is the first time.

The exact same thing happened to me and no fuse-pulling or “hard reset” or witchcraft would repair it. If the screen is broken, it is broken. Mine appeared flawless, but the bottom center was non-functional. If you want to attempt this, buy the part and do nothing until you have read and understood the instructions thoroughly. Begin in the well-rested first part of your day and be patient. You will be rewarded with a fully-functional CUE system. When you get tired or impatient, bad things happen. Good luck! :)

·
2016 ELR
215 Posts
The bottom of the screen thing is precisely why I didn't buy a Florida, Texas or Arizona (used) car. I think it's been posted here somewhere, but it's pretty obvious the sun is what fries the screen. It can hit the bottom of the screen easier and longer than the top. That's why I immediately asked about the sunshades because I'm definitely going to make sure I always have a sunshade on whenever there's bright sunlight out!

I think I already mentioned this but on a few of the ELRs for sale (like CarGurus) you could actually see checking on the bottom of the screen from the sun and there was even one where they stated the screen was not functioning correctly and wanted the buyer to deal with it... yeah good plan...

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I replaced mine for <5% of your $1500 estimate. Very simple job if you take your time and are careful when removing the trim with the proper (ie: inexpensive) plastic trim removal tools. $30 touch screens are available at aliexpress. You can pay more, but why?

Factory trim and head unit removal procedures (with illustrations) downloadable here for $10 a day: https://www.repairprocedures.com/index.php

Every well-stocked garage tool box deserves a set of these: https://www.harborfreight.com/nylon-pry-bar-installer-kit-4-pc-63594.html?cid=paid_google|*PLA+-+All+Products+-+Higher+Sales+Items|New+Products+-+(1)+Price+<$10|63594&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=sJBJFOzBE|pcrid|278978017105|pkw||pmt||pdv|c|slid||product|63594|&pgrid=56296736066&ptaid=pla-489074772392&pcid=1458484684&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl8Lp4N_K4gIVif5kCh1YzQ9oEAQYBSABEgKk1_D_BwE They're a lot cheaper than replacing scratched or damaged trim pieces! You'll get plenty of use from them too.

YouTube video detailing how to remove/replace the touch screen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22q48pnioQw

While heat may be a contributing factor with some failures, (delamination, aka: spider-cracking) there are so many posts documented from owners all over the country in different climates points to a piss-poor design and inadequate life cycle testing as the likely root causes. The most-used portion of the touch screen interface is the lower edge, so failures in that area appear to be very common. (Like mine.)

CUE touch screen failure isn't an "if" so much as a "when". GM is fully aware of this issue but would rather cross their collective fingers and hope your touch screen fails five minutes after the warranty expires and replace the entire center stack rather than fix the (much cheaper) faulty part. From a maintenance and general business standpoint, it's a profitable business model - that is, until enough customers realize the scope of the problem and sour on the brand. . . Many owners on this site have reported multiple touch screen failures. Too bad GM chose to ignore the problem and capitalize on it by passing the buck to us.

Don't get pissed - resist! While you can't prevent a touch screen failure, you can control the exorbitant cost of a dealership repair by fixing it yourself.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Has anyone had this happen in a 2016? I know there were several CUE enhancements with the 2016's, curious if anyone with a 2016 should be worried about this.

·
2016 ELR
215 Posts
Has anyone had this happen in a 2016? I know there were several CUE enhancements with the 2016's, curious if anyone with a 2016 should be worried about this.
I'd sure like to know that too.

That being said, I don't think people realize that there's a thing called "parts runs". Because I repair a LOT of very complex electronics, I can tell you for 100 percent certainty that all parts aren't equal when they are made. So in essence, the factory may make a 1000 of something, and then 3 months later make a 1000 more. Those 2 batches are different runs using maybe materials or parts from other manufacturers that again have variables. The first run could be "to spec" and the next run had a Junior Mint accidentally dropped in it which may increase or decrease it's quality. So there's a chance that some cars get crappy screens where the next car got the magic Junior Mint run and their screens lasts years longer.

To give you an example of my world, I have 3 of the same digital mixer for audio. The first one has moving faders that have lasted it's entire life and continue to work flawlessly and this console has the most hours. But it's hard drive went out early on. The next one bought 2 years later has had hard drive, CD rom drive, and numerous micro switch repairs. Only lost a fader or two. The newest board has had no hard drive issues, no CD rom drive failures, no micro switch issues but I've had to replace every $50 moving fader on the whole console with hardly any hours on it. Parts consistency is crap. And this is the same with power amps too, some lasting 25 years while others blow up in a few... So I'd suspect car parts are along the same lines....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts