Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wanted to share and hopefully hear this normal to have happen when replacing windshield. Thanks for reading.

About 2 weeks ago, I had a stone pop up on the highway and leave a small chip in my windshield smaller than a dime.
Called insurance who sent Safelite out to repair...within seconds of them hooking some kind of vacuum to the damaged spot, the windshield cracks from top to almost halfway across. The tech told me this could happen with any repair attempt.

Whatevs, so my comprehensive deductible is $500! I selected the wrong option when I did my renewal...could've cost only $50 if I was paying attention but oh well, my fault.

So they come out to do the replacement with a non-GM branded glass 3 days later. Looked damn near identical to the original so I didn't care. Install was quick and they took it for a drive to "calibrate the camera" and said "It's all set, don't drive it until tomorrow" so the adhesive has time to cure". So the next morning, I get ready to go out on it's maiden voyage and see an alert, "driver assist service" and there no lane departure or cruise control working. WTF! This is where the bullshit starts. In order to call Safelite means you have to call this corporate phone tree bullshit number to eventually get to the local repair center. They say oh, you have to have the calibration done inside one of our high tech service centers, cannot be done from the mobile repair unit. I'm like, so what was your guy doing in my car? Joyriding? They can't get me in until a week later - so I say okay - see you then. Then I get a text they cancelled my appointment, have to call and go though all the push 1 for this nonsense, to learn that they cancelled my appointment because I don't need an official appointment for this type of service, just stop in and they will take care of you...I'm like great, can I come in now? "No, still come in on the day your appointment was".... WTF!!!! I hang up and get angry. Call back the corporate phone line, press 1 for this and that and ask to speak to the manager. The same guy I spoke with says just bring it in now after speaking with his manager.

I show up to their "high tech" location and they take it for another joyride and he comes back 20 minutes later saying that their tablet doesn't communicate with my ECU. He will have his manager call me with the next steps. I get in my car and immediatey drive to my Cadillac dealer who says, they didn't use GM Glass, that's the problem. The camera cutout is too small on this replacement windshield. I get a callback from the Safelite manager while I'm at the Cadillac dealer and he starts saying so we are going to refund your insurance company the $200 fee for the calibration.... I say HOLD ON right there! My Cadillac service department manager said it's the glass, you need to put GM glass on for it to work. He surprisingly is very agreeable and says he will order it and let me know when they can install.

Today was the day I was hoping to be done with this nonsense - The tech shows up to my work and says, I don't know - these windshields are identical. Let me try to do the calibration on this current glass before I tear it off and potentially get glue and adhesive all over my dash and pillars. I say go for it, toss him the keys and go back inside. He calls and says he's done but it didn't work. He took the camera off the glass and tried to fit it on the GM glass sitting in his van, turns out the 4 mounting studs on the GM glass are cock-eyed! he can't even install it. His idea was that my Cadillac needs the Dealers scanning tools to reset the sensors or something to that affect. He is going to order another GM windshield and install it at the Cadillac Dealer and have them try to work the ECU part of the job.

What a headache this has been. Safelite is a garbage company, they make excuses for everything. My car is 2014, they have had to do at least one before me right????
Anyone ever have to do this before?

Thanks for reading,

Signing off.

·
Registered
2016 CTS 2.0 AWD Luxury
949 Posts
Frustrating! Sorry you have to deal with this. What insurance company do you have?

I am not a fan of insurance companies. They try to cut every corner then blame the poor results on anyone/everyone else. Is there any reason the windshied is not being installed by the Cadillac dealer?

·
Registered
2015 V-Sport
579 Posts
What a piss off!!!
Sorry you are going thru such a BS deal. Hope it works out after all said and done. Good luck.
I never have liked Safelite anyway.

·
Registered
14 CTS 2.0T, (traded 08 CTS 3.6)
139 Posts
I specifically took my CTS to the dealership I bought it from for a windshield replacement to avoid bad glass (had a distorted glass issue from a 3rd party on another vehicle and wanted to avoid the return/replacement hassle).

The dealership replaced the windshield with wavy non-GM glass! They couldn’t understand why I would have a problem with that and said I didn’t specify GM glass. I asked that if I brought in my vehicle for brake repairs, do you just put in whatever discount parts you can find? Why would I pay a dealership premium price for that? With that, they replaced it, but the extra hassle was not appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts