Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just got this beautiful vehicle yesterday with only 51k miles and upon leaving work today, I put the car in drive and it would not move. Tried to put back in park and then in drive again and then nothing. Put in reverse which worked fine and then in drive and it was fine. I took to a shop and of course no codes and it shifted into gears just fine. Is this a known issue that I can potentially point out before my limited warranty expires? I love this car but I do have 7 days to return it if there is an issue that cannot be resolved.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
3,397 Posts
I would have the fluid level in the transmission checked and then try to drive it a lot before your 7 days are up to see if the problem repeats.

When it wouldn't move and you pressed on the accelerator, did it sound/feel like the engine was under load?
Any chance it had been raining or heavy fog before you put it up for the night? Especially this time of year, the disc brake pads will stick to the rotor because of moisture creating corrosion buildup and it will make the car unable to move. You can usually break it loose by shifting between drive and reverse and sometimes there is a clunk when this happens. I haven't experienced this with my ATS but it has happened more than once with my GMC Sierra pickup and Chevrolet Corvette.

Rodger

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have the fluid level in the transmission checked and then try to drive it a lot before your 7 days are up to see if the problem repeats.

When it wouldn't move and you pressed on the accelerator, did it sound/feel like the engine was under load?
Any chance it had been raining or heavy fog before you put it up for the night? Especially this time of year, the disc brake pads will stick to the rotor because of moisture creating corrosion buildup and it will make the car unable to move. You can usually break it loose by shifting between drive and reverse and sometimes there is a clunk when this happens. I haven't experienced this with my ATS but it has happened more than once with my GMC Sierra pickup and Chevrolet Corvette.

Rodger
Thank you for your response Rodger! It sounded like the engine revving but car wasn’t moving. Funny you mention brakes though. They did say I had bad rotors and tires and those are being replaced under the warranty.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
3,397 Posts
You are welcome. Are you buying this through a dealer or a private party? I would want them to make sure that the transmission fluid is properly filled and doesn't look or smell burnt.

The test will be how it behaves after sitting overnight again.

I hope it works out for you, good luck!

Rodger

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,931 Posts
There were some 2013 & 2014 ATS's that had shift cable issues. I think the solution was pretty simple. From a quick search - CABLE ISSUE LINK

With yours being a 2014, regardless of it being part of the recall or not I would wonder about it being the same issue and your symptoms seem similar.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0 6-sp Premium
432 Posts
Sounds like you purchased the car through one of the new website/delivery dealers. There's nothing wrong with that per se (that's where I got my car, because nobody else had what I was looking for), but their service departments aren't going to be the best.

If you really like the car, I'd take it to a dealer for a once over. Even if it costs more, you will at least know they have some familiarity with the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts