Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm out of the B2B warranty and looks like I hit my first problem. I noticed water dripping on the ground right below where the driver's pedals are. I scoured though all threads on this forum and I didn't find any posts about this. There were posts about water pooling up on the driver's side carpet area but the carpets are completely dry. I checked the color of the liquid and it's transparent, so I've ruled out coolant/washer fluid. The liquid is not oily to touch (it’s definitely water). Any ideas what's going on ? Has anyone hit a similar issue and found a fix ?

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,864 Posts
Re: 2014 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Water dripping outside below drivers seat

Sounds like condensate from the air conditioning system is finding its way in that direction. One of the ATS design issues is a poor condensate drain system which helps create the musty HVAC odor issue.

Does it feel oily? If not that rules out brake fluid which comes in many colors.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
Sounds like normal A/C condensate. At least its dripping on the ground, where it's supposed to.

Someone will know exactly where the rubber drain elbow for condensate is on the ATS models. My STS pisses away happily on the passenger side of the lower HVAC stack, down at the turn of the firewall to floor pan.

The drain sometimes gets clogged with lint and then the drain sump overflows onto the front footwell carpets.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like condensate from the air conditioning system is finding its way in that direction. One of the ATS design issues is a poor condensate drain system which helps create the musty HVAC odor issue.

Does it feel oily? If not that rules out brake fluid which comes in many colors.
nope, not oily. It’s definitely water (Updated post)

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,864 Posts
Since it is water, that is almost certainly from the AC system and collecting water is normal (it dehumidifies air as it cools it) but if you are suddenly noticing a lot of water in a different place then it sounds like the drain tube may be clogged.

I looked at the GM parts online site but they don't provide a detailed view of the case around the evaporator which is where the drain will be located. The AC evaporator (which is where the condensate originates) and the heater core are located in a case on the passenger side of the ATS so you should be able to trace the water trail back to that area if it is AC condensate. Basically make sure the drain hole is open and hasn't been closed up by debris or insect activity. I recall GM had some TSBs about the drain issue associated with the "swamp" odor from the HVAC system so there are likely multiple variations of the drain outlet for the ATS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I'm out of the B2B warranty and looks like I hit my first problem. I noticed water dripping on the ground right below where the driver's pedals are. I scoured though all threads on this forum and I didn't find any posts about this. There were posts about water pooling up on the driver's side carpet area but the carpets are completely dry. I checked the color of the liquid and it's transparent, so I've ruled out coolant/washer fluid. The liquid is not oily to touch (it’s definitely water). Any ideas what's going on ? Has anyone hit a similar issue and found a fix ?
Hello, I am having same issue as you, did you get a solution? Please share if you do. Thanks

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!!

It's normal A/C condensate water. If you run your HVAC system in AUTO or DEFROST the compressor runs most of the time and it WILL remove a lot of water from the incoming air.

Most of our cars piddle water under the center area just behind the engine, under the console/HVAC stack.

FWIW, the member you quoted has not logged in for over 10 months. I doubt that you'll get a reply. Please check the dates of threads/posts you reply to. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!!

It's normal A/C condensate water. If you run your HVAC system in AUTO or DEFROST the compressor runs most of the time and it WILL remove a lot of water from the incoming air.

Most of our cars piddle water under the center area just behind the engine, under the console/HVAC stack.

FWIW, the member you quoted has not logged in for over 10 months. I doubt that you'll get a reply. Please check the dates of threads/posts you reply to. Thanks.
Thanks for the response.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts