Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does someone know the steps for replacing the gasket around the fixed glass part of the sunroof? Do the headliner and glass have to come out? Picture is mostly reflected garage but you can see the tears. The three sided gasket is readily available for $36 or so.
TIA 20190606_151917[1]-A.jpg

Mr Earl

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some searching earlier - lots of stuff about drain tubes, but not much else.

Mr Earl

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks CCC.

I got to read the first few steps, and one of them was remove rear/fixed glass (on a different page). I may have no alternative other than to spend the $15, unless some helpful person steps in. I may pay $5 for complete, precise instructions.

Mr Earl

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Can you get the gasket separately? When I bought my 2015 (used) I had excessive wind noise coming from the sunroof and assumed it needed to re-learn it's park position, however the first time I opened it, most of the gasket just fell off. It took me about 30 mins with a flathead screwdriver to carefully massage the gasket back into its channel in the glass. But if you can buy the gasket separately, it's pretty easy to install.

EDIT: Just noticed that your problem is on the fixed panel, mine was on the sliding panel. So that may be much more complicated.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I would take it to a glass installer like Glass America or Safelite for an estimate.
It may not be so bad, but maybe...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks rockit. When I bounced around the service manual link above, the preceding step was as shown in your post - "Preliminary Procedure, remove the rear sunroof window". When I went to page 12-30, the "Preliminary Procedure" was remove the front sunroof glass. So I think the "Sunroof Window Replacement" section with page 12-30 and the adjustment page 12-28 are needed.

Mr Earl

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Correct. Anytime you download a procedure, (cutting and pasting into a Word document is easiest) from the link I provided, you need to add the other procedures that are called out as well.

For instance, with an interior trim removal procedure, there might be more than a dozen other procedures that need to be included.

Navigating the paper manual and trying to explain an ever-expanding procedure online can get real ugly, real fast.

CCC

·
Registered
406 Posts
Correct. Anytime you download a procedure, (cutting and pasting into a Word document is easiest) from the link I provided, you need to add the other procedures that are called out as well.

For instance, with an interior trim removal procedure, there might be more than a dozen other procedures that need to be included.

Navigating the paper manual and trying to explain an ever-expanding procedure online can get real ugly, real fast.

CCC
I hear you. Personally, I wish there were Haynes type DIY manuals for the newer cars which the factory shop manual definitely isn't DIY nowadays.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again, rockit. I have a Robert Bentley manual for the 78 Spitfire, it skips around some, but not as much. Maybe because the spitfire has 90% fewer parts.

Mr Earl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts