Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
XTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. So the right leading lamp suddenly died. I took it to the dealership and they said they can fix it for the hefty price of 900 dollars! (I live in the middle east and dealerships charge criminal prices for simple jobs). What's peculiar about this is that even the switch to turn on/off the light is no longer lit so I asked around and was told the whole lamp unit needs to be changed. I looked it up online and found the part here and now I have it but have no idea how easy or hard it is to open the overhead console and access the part that needs changing. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury
114 Posts

·
Registered
XTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you all for your valuable inputs. Im still a little bit apprehensive about doing this but it must be done. Will update when done.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury
114 Posts
thank you all for your valuable inputs. Im still a little bit apprehensive about doing this but it must be done. Will update when done.
You will be fine, and will get satisfaction from doing this repair yourself. Nice going!

·
Registered
XTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will be fine, and will get satisfaction from doing this repair yourself. Nice going!
thank you! this just occurred to me, could this be a fuse problem? I checked the manual's fuse map and there's no mention of a dome or reading light fuse? kind of confusing. there's a fuse for the courtesy lamp but no mention of the reading lamps.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury
114 Posts
thank you! this just occurred to me, could this be a fuse problem? I checked the manual's fuse map and there's no mention of a dome or reading light fuse? kind of confusing. there's a fuse for the courtesy lamp but no mention of the reading lamps.
You have to study the wiring diagram to be sure, but without doing that, I would say that it is highly unlikely to be a fuse problem because normally the left and right reading lamps would be on the same fuse.

·
Registered
XTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have to study the wiring diagram to be sure, but without doing that, I would say that it is highly unlikely to be a fuse problem because normally the left and right reading lamps would be on the same fuse.
thank you very much. You've been very helpful.

·
Registered
2018 Cadillac XTS Luxury
114 Posts
Just one suggestion before you start this job. Some of the wires in the overhead console are probably live even if the ignition is off, so it is wise to disconnect the battery before starting this job. If you don't disconnect the battery, you run the risk of creating a short which will blow a fuse, or even worse, could melt insulation on wires.

·
Registered
XTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just one suggestion before you start this job. Some of the wires in the overhead console are probably live even if the ignition is off, so it is wise to disconnect the battery before starting this job. If you don't disconnect the battery, you run the risk of creating a short which will blow a fuse, or even worse, could melt insulation on wires.
OMG I didn't even think of that. Thanks! Will do!

·
Registered
XTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update #1:
I tried prying the thing open but it wouldn't budge. The metal clips seem to hold this thing pretty tight! I tried not to force it I don't wanna break anything. I'm waiting for my plastic trim removal tools to arrive so I can give this another try.

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,515 Posts
No need to disconnect the battery any more than requiring a circuit breaker to be opened when changing a lightbulb at home.

There are 6 clip/retainers that secure the roof console in place - one at each corner and one in the middle of each side.

1. Remove the roof console by prying downward, (with a wide, flat-bladed plastic trim removal tool) starting at the rear corners and working forward.

2. When it's loosened, disconnect the electrical connectors. Once the electrical connectors are de-mated, the bulb can be removed without fear of shorting anything.

This is an extremely simple job that should take less than ten minutes. For anyone trying to charge $900 (or even $90) it meets the criteria for extortion. A set of inexpensive trim removal tools are a must-have item in a toolbox, and will pay for themselves many times over, --especially when you consider how much it can cost to replace a damaged piece of trim costing hundreds of dollars. You'll be pleasantly surprised how often you reach for these tools.

My preferred set from a company that specializes in body-shop tools: (but you can buy a similar set for less) https://www.eastwood.com/12-pc-trim-tool-set.html?SRCCODE=PLA00020&gclid=CKmHxvHt2eICFUkerQYdzHoDcA

CCC

·
Registered
XTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No need to disconnect the battery any more than requiring a circuit breaker to be opened when changing a lightbulb at home.

There are 6 clip/retainers that secure the roof console in place - one at each corner and one in the middle of each side.

1. Remove the roof console by prying downward, (with a wide, flat-bladed plastic trim removal tool) starting at the rear corners and working forward.

2. When it's loosened, disconnect the electrical connectors. Once the electrical connectors are de-mated, the bulb can be removed without fear of shorting anything.

This is an extremely simple job that should take less than ten minutes. For anyone trying to charge $900 (or even $90) it meets the criteria for extortion. A set of inexpensive trim removal tools are a must-have item in a toolbox, and will pay for themselves many times over, --especially when you consider how much it can cost to replace a damaged piece of trim costing hundreds of dollars. You'll be pleasantly surprised how often you reach for these tools.

My preferred set from a company that specializes in body-shop tools: (but you can buy a similar set for less) https://www.eastwood.com/12-pc-trim-tool-set.html?SRCCODE=PLA00020&gclid=CKmHxvHt2eICFUkerQYdzHoDcA

CCC
thank you so much for your help. I bought a set of those tools and I'm waiting for them to be delivered.

I tried to pry it open from the 2 position. am i correct in doing so?

·
Registered
'02 ETC CE, '04 CTS-V, '04 XLR, '13 XTS Platinum
2,515 Posts
If you mean the rear corners, (as stated in the instructions) yes. The clips hold the roof console in place very tightly, (to avoid it coming loose over bumpy roads) so you'll need the proper tools to do the job right. You likely won't get your fingers under the roof liner recess to grasp the corners which is why trim removal tools are recommended. - NEVER use a screwdriver!!!

·
Registered
2013 XTS4 Platinum '91 Caprice Wagon '15 Impala LTZ (wife's)
432 Posts
Here is a picture of the clips on the armrest panel which are typical. As has been said, they hold real tight. Use the widest pry tool you can to spread out the force, work your way around. Once the piece starts to pop and you haven't broken anything, you will be good.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 dts,past03whitediamondsevillests-someday will have another seville/eldorado
160 Posts

CCC

This.

When you say middle east- are you talking about pakistan area? Get a set of trim pop off tools that won't scratch what you're trying to get off. Around here we have orielly's, autozone, napa, etc... If you got any stores like that they should have them, otherwise I'm sure the internet is a solid bet. Believe the last time I bought some they were called (non marring trim tools)? I had to switch mine out in my old seville when i had it and remember seeing where someone said that they come off super hard, to the point where you think you're going to break it. Good so you know it's not goona come off on it's own. As this guy said- no need to unhook the battery, get the unit off, unplug it, plug in the new one, and snap it in. All should be well.

Just one thing to add, be careful working your trim popper offer so you don't wreck- bend or cut your headliner. That would suck to do. But do it with some sense of carefulness and you should be good

·
Registered
XTS
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE

I've fixed the problem! Turns out the geniuses at the dealership forgot to re-attach the power cable into the socket of the right lamp. That's why it wasn't working! Now I have an extra reading lamp assembly that I don't need! I've circled around the cable in red. Everything works fine now! Getting access to to the console was super easy with those plastic trim removal tools! I'd like to thank each and everyone of you who helped me. I know it's a simple job but the dealership would've gladly taken 900 dollars from me for reconnecting a wire! Thank you ALL!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts